Amsterdam Hotel

We are booked on the HAL Koningsdam sailing out of Amsterdam on 7/17/16. I have looked at recommendations on Amsterdam hotels and started out booked at Moevenpick by the cruise terminal. We have been to Amsterdam before and will fly out the day before and don't have our airlines booked yet. I'm assuming we will arrive either late morning or early afternoon. Husband has some walking issues - not bad but enough to make me rethink. We are also booked at the Intel and Renaissance which are close to the central station. We have seen Anne Frank's house and been to the red light district but would like to walk around a bit and check out restaurants instead of being confined to the hotel restaurant. Who knows we might venture out a bit also. I'm thinking we will take taxi from airport to the hotel and from the hotel to terminal if we go with Intel or Renaissance. Could you tell me which one you would choose and why.

Thanks--you all are so helpful in here. What did we do without the internet years ago deciding all this stuff.

Linda

If this is pre-cruise, then I do really like the Movenpick as that is fantastic to be able to just walk the bag down in the morning and leave them with the ship. I usually collect my check-in number at that time and just leisurely return to the ship after 11 AM.

The area right at the hotel is pleasant but is just standard office/residential. I just take the tram in front of the hotel into the city and for return.

Post-cruise of course the hotel looses it's charm and functionality.

I have stayed at the Radission as well and can highly recommend that hotel as well.

I like this feature also Mad--how far of a walk to go over to where the restaurants etc. are? I did find a map of tourist spots today and saw loads of churches in the area. I love European churches. I'm into photography so just walking around a bit and seeing churches and other things we run into will probably be enough since we've already been there.

Linda

I like this feature also Mad--how far of a walk to go over to where the restaurants etc. are? I did find a map of tourist spots today and saw loads of churches in the area. I love European churches. I'm into photography so just walking around a bit and seeing churches and other things we run into will probably be enough since we've already been there.

Linda

The Movenpick is walkable, but I think there if value in buying a 24 hour tram card for just 7.50 euro, which can take you to the neighborhoods you want to walk. The tram network is extensive. A single ticket for one hour with unlimited changes is 2.90.

The hotel tram stop is about a 2 minute walk from the hotel as the hotel is waterfront right at the port. While there are restaurants right in this development, walking to the train station is about 12 minutes or 3 minutes by tram. You pass the 'river ship port and then walk about 6 blocks further.

If you want to be right in the heart of things you will want to choose another hotel. Amsterdam is a very compact central city though and while the winding network of roads is challenging with Amsterdam being so flat it is very manageable.

Thank you so much for the information. Now to read up on trams.

Linda

The trams in Amsterdam are wonderful and SO easy to use. You can take #26 from the Movenpick (across the street from the hotel) to Centraal Station & from Centraal Station, you can connect to other trams (they stop in front of the station).

Here is an excellent resource to get you started.

http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/amsterdam-trams.php

• 4 weeks later...
For me there is only one hotel in Amsterdam and that is "The Dylan". Its a 5 star boutique hotel.

The service is phenomenal.

Fantastic location. Very easy to walk everywhere.

The Dylan looks lovely. The lowest rate is 381 euros for one night.

Can you suggest some of your other favorites?

Thanks!

There is also The Toren, INK hotel Amsterdam, Hotel E´Europe.

These are all good places to stay:)

Some more great 5 star hotels, in random order:

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Conservatorium Hotel

Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - a concept by Hyatt

And the just opened W Amsterdam near the Dam Square.

Thanks for these suggestions!

• 1 month later...

I'm so excited! We just booked The Toren - small double with canal view - for our pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam. This is NOT a budget hotel :cool: - but we are treating ourselves good for this trip. I've heard such great things about this hotel. It was #1 on my list and I've been waiting for them to release the dates for booking.

I was beginning to think that all the other hotels on my list would be booked up if I couldn't get The Toren soon, but I'm good to go.

I will come back with a report - but you have to wait for Aug 2016!

I'm so excited! We just booked The Toren - small double with canal view - for our pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam. This is NOT a budget hotel :cool: - but we are treating ourselves good for this trip. I've heard such great things about this hotel. It was #1 on my list and I've been waiting for them to release the dates for booking.

I was beginning to think that all the other hotels on my list would be booked up if I couldn't get The Toren soon, but I'm good to go.

I will come back with a report - but you have to wait for Aug 2016!

It is a wonderful hotel. We stayed there 3 days post cruse and had an amzing time. Our Canal View room was huge and the hotel was extremely well located. You will enjoy your splurge.

We are going to Amsterdam for the third time in July. I was planning on staying at the Toren again , but our flight gets in very late and we are staying only one night ( our ship will be overnighting) , so I have decided on the College Hotel , which is a less expensive choice since we won't be able to enjoy the hotel as much due to time constraints.

The College Hotel looks intriguing and the location is quite nice ...in walking distances to the museums and many restaurants. I will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by brazilgirl

We will be three adults, (DH, DD age 26, and me)_returning to Amsterdam on July 13 for one night. Would you recommend the Toren? They do have rooms that accommodate 3 people, which I have not found to be typical. We are staying at the Renaissance pre-cruise, but I'm looking for something different for the return.

We will be three adults, (DH, DD age 26, and me)_returning to Amsterdam on July 13 for one night. Would you recommend the Toren? They do have rooms that accommodate 3 people, which I have not found to be typical. We are staying at the Renaissance pre-cruise, but I'm looking for something different for the return.

I read on their site that there are some rooms they can put in an extra bed - probably a portable.

I haven't stayed at The Toren yet but it gets wonderful reviews and from the pictures of the hotel, it looks gorgeous!

It is a wonderful hotel. We stayed there 3 days post cruse and had an amzing time. Our Canal View room was huge and the hotel was extremely well located. You will enjoy your splurge.

We are going to Amsterdam for the third time in July. I was planning on staying at the Toren again , but our flight gets in very late and we are staying only one night ( our ship will be overnighting) , so I have decided on the College Hotel , which is a less expensive choice since we won't be able to enjoy the hotel as much due to time constraints.

The College Hotel looks intriguing and the location is quite nice ...in walking distances to the museums and many restaurants. I will report back.

I'm loving the great reviews! We didn't go with the large canal room, but the small one looks like it will be fine for the 2 of us. I did want the view!

If we were only going to be there one night, I might have looked for something less expensive, as well. I've heard they have the best gin and tonics in their bar - looking forward to trying one!

I'm loving the great reviews! We didn't go with the large canal room, but the small one looks like it will be fine for the 2 of us. I did want the view!

If we were only going to be there one night, I might have looked for something less expensive, as well. I've heard they have the best gin and tonics in their bar - looking forward to trying one!

Their bar is excellent as is the breakfast...very intimate and different from mainstream hotels.

We actually had 2 rooms - one large canal room for my DH and I , which was huge and very luxurious. The toiletries were wonderfula dn the robes very nice as well.

Our children stayed in a nearby room ...no canal view , but it accomodated them nicely .They were very happy and loved the room. 35d390b41d494bf67bfc17083f10d9ed.jpg

Now I can't remember if the extra cot was in our room or the kids' room , but we have five , so I know they worked it out. We stayed for three full nights and our rooms were in the annex.

Do know that the hotel is very " lavish" ...not a scandanavian minimalist peice of furniture in sight. We loved the richness of the fabrics and decor. Lots of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Their bar is excellent as is the breakfast...very intimate and different from mainstream hotels.

Do know that the hotel is very " lavish" ...not a scandanavian minimalist peice of furniture in sight. We loved the richness of the fabrics and decor. Lots of fun.

It's funny I picked Viking because I liked the Scandinavian design of their ships, but I chose The Toren for it's old world look - kind of like the Orient Express. It just seems to fit my idea of a Dutch canal-side house.

So glad you liked it. I want to do one breakfast there and one at the Pancake house!

It's funny I picked Viking because I liked the Scandinavian design of their ships, but I chose The Toren for it's old world look - kind of like the Orient Express. It just seems to fit my idea of a Dutch canal-side house.

So glad you liked it. I want to do one breakfast there and one at the Pancake house!

I actually love Scandinavian design as well . I think the new Viking ships are very attractive and I would love to sail on one.

I think it is always fun to embrace the unique decor and " look" of each region. Makes it more fun! I think I must try a Pancake House as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to Amsterdam recently and stayed at the NH Carlton Amsterdam Hotel, which is located right beside the start of the Flower Market. The hotel isn't great but decent. Breakfast was not bad. Location was good and we could walk everywhere we wanted to go.

Here is a video I made of the hotel room and breakfast.

[YOUTUBE]c2-yGZUSUXs[/YOUTUBE]

A view from outside the hotel. There was a McDonalds just opposite.

[YOUTUBE]8fmHuTOFNWA[/YOUTUBE]

And I take a walk along the Flower Market.

[YOUTUBE]JM6CIzZUo00[/YOUTUBE]