Recommend a great NY Deli near Times Square?

cdncruiser

We are sailing on the Norwegian Dawn out of NYC in September. I reserved 2 nights at the RadioCityApartments which is right next to Times Square. My DH would truly love to have an authentic New York Deli sandwich.

Any suggestions as to "the place to go" would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Laurey

We are sailing on the Norwegian Dawn out of NYC in September. I reserved 2 nights at the RadioCityApartments which is right next to Times Square. My DH would truly love to have an authentic New York Deli sandwich.

Any suggestions as to "the place to go" would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Laurey

the Stage Deli is in the times square area. A classic new york Deli. The second avenue deli was the place to go but unfortunately it is closed.

http://www.stagedeli.com/indexmain.cfm

We have lived in Manhattan of over 35 years and have found the Carnegie to be the best in the city. If you are not big eaters, consider sharing a sandwich.

Hi TravelAbby,

When's the best time to eat at the Carnegie w/out the big crowds? We like a late lunch (early dinner) as we are both teachers. Do they have special hours, or are they open lunch through dinner?

Thanks! We will check it out this May.

Kel:)

Here is the website for the Carnegie Deli:

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

Late lunch might be a good time when it isn't too crowded. You need to watch theater times and whether there are matinees or not. Restaurants near there are usually busy from 1 - 2:30 when there are 3:00 matinees and then 5:00 - 7:00 or 7:30 for evening shows.

Whenever I am in NYC, I have to get a corned beef and pastrami sandwich from either the Carnegie or the Stage Deli. People are serious about sharing a sandwich. Last time, I got a sandwich to go and when I got home I weighed it . There was over a pound of meat in it. Alot of people like a corned beef special- corned beef, russian dressing and coleslaw. If you split a sandwich and somehow still have room, you can always get dessert.

Enjoy,Judy

ps, eat a sandwich for me!

the Stage Deli is in the times square area. A classic new york Deli. The second avenue deli was the place to go but unfortunately it is closed.

http://www.stagedeli.com/indexmain.cfm

Okay, my world has just collapsed! The 2nd Ave Deli closed!!!! Ack! I guess, once I moved they just couldn't stay open without all of my business! Like smeyer, I prefer Katz's. They have the best pastrami in the city!

Okay, my world has just collapsed! The 2nd Ave Deli closed!!!! Ack! I guess, once I moved they just couldn't stay open without all of my business! Like smeyer, I prefer Katz's. They have the best pastrami in the city!

The original owner of the second ave deli had been killed I believe and it went down hill after that.

2nd Avenue Deli closed because the landlord wanted a huge increase in rent.

If you are limiting yourself to the Times Square area, then the only 2 places you should consider are the Stage and Carnegie. Personally my favorite is Katz's at Houston and Ludlow on the Lower East Side.

Katz's deli is THE BEST! (I'll have what she's having!) Fabulous sandwiches and yummy sweets! Lots of fun! It's in SoHo and we took the train to TS, but it's worth it!

Have fun!

Sam :D

Archived