Chivatevecchia to Ostia Antica

Has anyone used a private tour operator for a trip to and from Ostia Antica when docked in Civatevecchia? Any recommendations for private tour operators for a half day excursion? We have a port call in Civatevecchia from 8am-5pm, so we do not have enough time to take the train into Rome, transfer to Ostia, see the ruins, and then get back by 4:30pm. Any delay, and we could be swimming!

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in the same trip, but we have 13 hours in port. I did get a reply from a licensed tour company that it would be 1000 Euros for 3 people for a car, driver, guide to and from the port going to Ostia Antica only. That is pretty expensive for a total of 6 hours. This tour company told me that drivers cannot also be guides and that guides are licensed. If you don't get a licensed guide you can be turned away when you get to Ostia. Don't know if that is really true.

I am also interested in the same trip, but we have 13 hours in port. I did get a reply from a licensed tour company that it would be 1000 Euros for 3 people for a car, driver, guide to and from the port going to Ostia Antica only. That is pretty expensive for a total of 6 hours. This tour company told me that drivers cannot also be guides and that guides are licensed. If you don't get a licensed guide you can be turned away when you get to Ostia. Don't know if that is really true.

I can't help with the private tour part, but I know that it is not required that you have a private guide to see Ostia. Plenty of people (including myself) have done it on our own without a guide.

Ostia Antica is located very close to FCO (about a 10 min taxi ride) and is a great way to spend a day. The place is huge (be prepared to walk more than a mile) and rivals Pompeii. You can get an audio tour (or a written guide) and easily explore on your own. We think the best (and cheapest) way to get there would be to simply rent a car and drive (you do not have to drive into any major cities). Hertz is very close to the port entrance and Europcar (and some others) are within walking distance of the port. A one day rental will probably cost you about $120, but that is far less than 300+ Euros for a private tour.

Hank

Check out Stefano/Rome cabs as I have seen people recommend him for tours of Ostia Antica. Here is his website:

http://www.romecabs.com/index.html

A few websites say it is 45 min. drive from Civi to Ostia via Rome and then 1 1/2 hr. return trip. You would need to be very sure you are back at the ship on time for your sailaway. From what I've read, Ostia is huge and you could spend more than a few hours there. However, it is like visiting Pompeii, you see the basics in that time frame.

Here is another tour guide company that gets excellent reviews:

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

http://www.world66.com/europe/italy/lazio/ostiaantica

Good luck. Hope this helps. If it were my choice, I think I would find a private tour guide because you really don't have a long day in Rome. At least with a private guide, you won't be relying on the train and time schedules etc. You can plan how much time you would spend at Ostia and get back to the ship on time for 5 pm. Traffic will probably be heavy on your return to Civi.

Alternatively, if you haven't been to Rome b4, take the train and just wander around Rome. You could see a few attractions this way. Check out your cruise line to see if they are offering a shuttle service to Rome and just dropping you off and picking you up again. This might be a safer alternative for you.

Mary

Archived