Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Based in the UK, book in the US

There has been much discussion recently, both on this board and on Celebrity, about UK residents being 'ripped off' when booking cruise holidays - paying higher prices and, in the case of Celebrity, not being offered the same incentives to book. I know you are not allowed to recommend US travel agents but can anyone give any hints or tips on researching a good US travel agent that is able and happy to take bookings from residents of the UK? I am sure that there are lots of people like me, thinking it is time to have a go booking in the US, but unsure where to start. Just looking for some general advice/experiences from UK guests. Thanks

Old February 12th, 2013, 04:38 AM
10,000+ Club

I was previously put in touch with a US TA by someone on a roll call. Recommendations are always the way to go. For the specific cruise I was looking for she turned out dearer.....
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old February 12th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

The problem is if you book through a US travel agent, you will most likely not be covered by ABTA and ATOL, which provide financial protection to each booking. For example, if you booked through *Inserts UK agency here* and then for some reason you had to cancel due to factors outside of your control you would be covered. If you booked through a US travel agent, you may not necessarily be covered and your money may not be protected, in addition - your travel insurance may be void.

Many cruise lines, hotels etc. target specific countries and regions with special offers. Sadly it is just how the travel industry has evolved.

Last edited by whitestarcruises; February 12th, 2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Delete

Old February 12th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestarcruises View Post
The problem is if you book through a US travel agent, you will most likely not be covered by ABTA and ATOL, which provide financial protection to each booking. For example, if you booked through *Inserts UK agency here* and then for some reason you had to cancel due to factors outside of your control you would be covered. If you booked through a US travel agent, you may not necessarily be covered and your money may not be protected, in addition - your travel insurance may be void.

Many cruise lines, hotels etc. target specific countries and regions with special offers. Sadly it is just how the travel industry has evolved.
ABTA and ATOL are not to cover situations when the customer cancels - that's what travel insurance is for. They are schemes to protect consumers when the agent or tour operator is in difficulty.

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:00 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbertsNiece View Post
I was previously put in touch with a US TA by someone on a roll call. Recommendations are always the way to go. For the specific cruise I was looking for she turned out dearer.....
I think I know, but I just want to be sure. When you say "dearer", you mean higher priced, right? Love the differences in language use.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
I think I know, but I just want to be sure. When you say "dearer", you mean higher priced, right? Love the differences in language use.
More dear.... expensive.... tomayto.... tomahto....
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:12 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbertsNiece View Post
More dear.... expensive.... tomayto.... tomahto....
Got it, thanks! Normally, the different idioms are self-explanatory, but that one was a little confusing because "being a dear" is a good thing, but being expensive is not a good thing. Just another one of the many of context sensitive words uses.

Past Cruises

RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Its a bit like you saying something is going to happen on 03/02/2013 and I say "what do you mean. That was last week"

Last edited by Frankmac; February 12th, 2013 at 07:27 AM.

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:36 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankmac View Post
Its a bit like you saying something is going to happen on 03/02/2013 and I say "what do you mean. That was last week"
I agree. This forum has taught me to represent dates differently because of potential confusion. Now I either spell out the month, or use the 02-MAR form.

Past Cruises

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestarcruises View Post

Okay, many state you get extra protection when booking in the UK. Well I can understand it matters when booking flights, however what I don't understand is when it's the cruise portion only. Is that what you are saying is the case?

Are you also saying that my travel insurance would not cover me for booking through an American site? If I have adequate travel insurance for my trip, then why would they not pay out if I was covered (and obviously had the correct paperwork etc) and could prove the amounts I had paid. Does this not apply to any holiday you may book on line and what about if you pay with a credit card, are you still not covered under their insurance? I thought ATOL and ABTA were cover for when the TA company went out of business (of which there have been many British companies in the recent economic climate) ?

Additionally, in the US, do they not refund deposits should you need to cancel before final payment date? Again, over here you would automatically lose that deposit or have to pay an extra fee if you wanted to transfer it to another cruise.

Would welcome clarification as I'm genuinely confused by what's been stated on all the different threads regarding this subject .

Equinox - Istanbul to Barcelona - August 2015
Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean & Panama - April 2015
Independence - Northern Europe - Oct 2014
Infinity - Iceland & The Faroes - July 2014
Independence - Caribbean - April 2014
Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean - B2B - April 2014
Enchantment - Bahamas. - Aug 2013
Oasis - Western Caribbean - Aug 2013
Solstice - Oz & NZ - Dec 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Aug 2012
Brilliance - Norway - Jun 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Oct 2011
Caribbean Princess - New England - Aug 2011
Liberty - Med B2B - April 2011
Liberty - Med Western - April 2011
Constellation - Baltics - Aug 2010
Splendour - Med to Venice - April 2010
Radiance - Alaska - Aug 2009
Brilliance - Canaries & Morocco - April 2009
Navigator - Med - May 2008
Brilliance - Venice Med - Aug 2007

Old February 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
I agree. This forum has taught me to represent dates differently because of potential confusion. Now I either spell out the month, or use the 02-MAR form.
what a wise person you are

Old February 12th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by villauk View Post
Okay, many state you get extra protection when booking in the UK. Well I can understand it matters when booking flights, however what I don't understand is when it's the cruise portion only. Is that what you are saying is the case?

Are you also saying that my travel insurance would not cover me for booking through an American site? If I have adequate travel insurance for my trip, then why would they not pay out if I was covered (and obviously had the correct paperwork etc) and could prove the amounts I had paid. Does this not apply to any holiday you may book on line and what about if you pay with a credit card, are you still not covered under their insurance? I thought ATOL and ABTA were cover for when the TA company went out of business (of which there have been many British companies in the recent economic climate) ?

Additionally, in the US, do they not refund deposits should you need to cancel before final payment date? Again, over here you would automatically lose that deposit or have to pay an extra fee if you wanted to transfer it to another cruise.

Would welcome clarification as I'm genuinely confused by what's been stated on all the different threads regarding this subject .
In terms of travel insurance, it really depends whom you decide to go with. Most will cover you, but I have heard of stories where this has not been the case.

And yes, ABTA and ATOL do provide financial protection to the travel agent/tour operator if they do go out of business, however if you were to book through a US agency (most likely not to be ABTA-credited since they are not British), then you may not be protected financially.

You're right about the deposits, however not all the cruise lines will refund the deposit, it varies by when you book etc.

Old February 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzgal View Post
There has been much discussion recently, both on this board and on Celebrity, about UK residents being 'ripped off' when booking cruise holidays - paying higher prices and, in the case of Celebrity, not being offered the same incentives to book. I know you are not allowed to recommend US travel agents but can anyone give any hints or tips on researching a good US travel agent that is able and happy to take bookings from residents of the UK? I am sure that there are lots of people like me, thinking it is time to have a go booking in the US, but unsure where to start. Just looking for some general advice/experiences from UK guests. Thanks
I've nearly always used a US travel agent. Wish I could say who :-(

Sorry !

Closed Thread