Weather related insurance/medical coverage

pristinehart

I need some advice and I can't seem to understand all this insurance stuff. Here's a little background. Cruise is in Jan. 2015. 12 travelers. My first worry is snow. This Jan, Atlanta was grounded for a couple of day because of snow/ice.

I couldn't get off work the day before (retail sucks) so we have to take the 1st flight down to Miami the day of the cruise. Is there any kind of insurance that would cover if we have to cancel because of bad weather and Atlanta gets grounded again? Also, Mom is in her 70's and has diabetes but has it under control pretty well. Should look into a plan that has medical coverage? Would her diabetes be consider a pre-existing condition?

Or should I just stick with the one that Carnival is offering? Please help.

Regarding your Mom, yes, her diabetes is a pre existing condition. Many travel policies will cover problems related to her condition as long as you buy the insurance within a certain "window" after you book the cruise. In some cases that window might be as short as 3 days.

As to the weather, you need to read the fine print and definitions of the policy. While they will cover weather related issues, there is always some type of requirement that scheduled air flights must be scheduled to arrive a certain number of hours before you must be on the ship (6 hours would be a good example.

Hank

Weather issues can be tricky as the ONLY way to know if you are covered for your needs is to read the fine print of the policy description.

In general, weather issues are covered as delays, not cancellations. So you would be required in most cases to attempt to catch up to the cruise until it is at least half over. In the case of snow or ice in your departing or connecting city, you would have to get another flight and join the cruise a day (or two or three) later. You cannot just give up and cancel the whole thing right away with most policies. Also note that delay coverage is usually much more limited than the full cost of the trip. (Some policies do provide for cancellation if there is a 24 hour cessation of all services, or if there is a hurricane shut down - but again, it's in the details)

As noted above, there are time parameters for every policy; a minimum number of hours before delay coverage or missed connection coverage applies.

If all this is still confusing to you, I would suggest you contact the Trip insurance Store; the folks there know the policies they sell and can steer you to the one that best fits your needs. They have also written a pretty good FAQ page for weather coverage:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-bad-weather-and-natural-disaster-coverage/

Edited by cherylandtk

Weather issues can be tricky as the ONLY way to know if you are covered for your needs is to read the fine print of the policy description.

In general, weather issues are covered as delays, not cancellations. So you would be required in most cases to attempt to catch up to the cruise until it is at least half over. In the case of snow or ice in your departing or connecting city, you would have to get another flight and join the cruise a day (or two or three) later. You cannot just give up and cancel the whole thing right away with most policies. Also note that delay coverage is usually much more limited than the full cost of the trip. (Some policies do provide for cancellation if there is a 24 hour cessation of all services, or if there is a hurricane shut down - but again, it's in the details)

As noted above, there are time parameters for every policy; a minimum number of hours before delay coverage or missed connection coverage applies.

If all this is still confusing to you, I would suggest you contact the Trip insurance Store; the folks there know the policies they sell and can steer you to the one that best fits your needs. They have also written a pretty good FAQ page for weather coverage:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-bad-weather-and-natural-disaster-coverage/

We agree that calling Steve and the others at TripInsuranceStore.com makes the most sense.

But CALL them, don't rely upon the summaries of various policies on their website (or any website like theirs). There is no way they can include the "fine print" for all such specific questions like yours - and YOUR questions are what are important for your needs!

Also ask them something like, "if I want to spend less on insurance", what would we be giving up?" or something like that.

Often, they've already described the "only suitable" policy given your specific needs. But it's always good to know if there is some aspect that is not critical, and would save a bit. (That's probably not likely, but it never hurts to ask, right?)

Make SURE they know that you have a concern about a pre-existing condition in a close relative, as well as for yourself.

Some policies don't include relatives under "pre-existing conditions" (but cover their illness anyway), and others handle it otherwise. It varies!

And for some, one might need Cancel For Any Reason (which costs more and doesn't refund 100%, but it would let you cancel if relative isn't critically ill, but you'd "rather not leave"; ditto with bad weather, but not cruise cancelled, by the way).

Talking with the experts is invaluable.

GeezerCouple