Cab to Romney Manor and Batik factory

wwcruisers

Hi -- can't find a specific answer to this on any current thread, or by using the search function, so I hope someone has done this recently. On this trip, we are not interested in doing a island tour -- we just want to cab-it to Romney Manor and then go to the nearby Batik factory (Caribel?)

-- are those two places within easy walking distance of each other?

-- how much can we expect to pay for a cab (for two) over and back?

Thanks

In actuality, Caribelle Batik is located on the grounds of Romney Manor. You should be able to get a taxi to take you there and back. It would be wise for you to state your wishes to the driver before you start. I would have him wait for you. Pay him upon your return to the port area. Caribelle Batik is located in the village of Middle Island on the main island road NW of town. The round trip fare should be about $40 or so for 2 people.

Edited by paul58
additional information

Paul58 -- thanks so much for your quick reply. I have heard that St. Kitts' taxis are not metered, so you have to be sure about the destination, the price (and currency in which it is state) before you get in the cab. Nice to know a "ball-park" figure for what would be a reasonable amount. :cool:

This is exactly what we are thinking about doing, too. But there will be eight of us. Are we going to be able to find a taxi easy enough to get all eight of us there, wait for us and bring us back? And would it still be around $20 pp or what would a reasonable amount be for this? TIA

Taxi fares are regulated and tours are not. You should not have a problem finding a ride to Caribelle Batik/Romney Manor. Negotiate with the driver about price & waiting for you. Most of the taxi/tour operators that are at the port have large vans capable of carrying a group of 8 without any problems. Depending on port load on your day in St Kitts, the taxi/tour operators sometimes have several tours during the day. All taxi/tour vehicles license plates begin with a T.

In actuality, Caribelle Batik is located on the grounds of Romney Manor. You should be able to get a taxi to take you there and back. It would be wise for you to state your wishes to the driver before you start. I would have him wait for you. Pay him upon your return to the port area. Caribelle Batik is located in the village of Middle Island on the main island road NW of town. The round trip fare should be about $40 or so for 2 people.

We were in a multi-stop tour a couple of years ago that included the Caribelle Batik stop. In my opinion, while the fabric they produce is very beautiful, this part of the tour was VERY BORING. They explained and showed how the Batik was done and then there was LOTS of time to peruse and purchase items. We went out a side door and down the stairs to walk along the beach. The tour guide came out and demanded that we come back in as we were "too close" to the Sandals resort.

All the other stops were fabulous.

We were in a multi-stop tour a couple of years ago that included the Caribelle Batik stop. In my opinion, while the fabric they produce is very beautiful, this part of the tour was VERY BORING. They explained and showed how the Batik was done and then there was LOTS of time to peruse and purchase items. We went out a side door and down the stairs to walk along the beach. The tour guide came out and demanded that we come back in as we were "too close" to the Sandals resort.

All the other stops were fabulous.

You must be confused. No beach anywhere near. Ocean is far too!

We really enjoyed the visit to the Batik shop.

• 2 months later...

I know I just asked this on another thread but, I have read about the number of items that can be purchased at Caribelle Batik. Do they sell the Batik fabric by the yards. I sew and would love to have several yards of batik to make dresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Bailey & Sophie - As others have stated, there is no Sandals on St. Kitts. The batik factory is not near a resort. It is located on Romney Manor, and you can read about it here: http://www.caribellebatikstkitts.com

Ika1012 - Yes, you can buy fabric by the yard. Keep in mind, it is not cheap and may be less expensive for you to buy a dress there. They have clothing, bags, home decor, etc. A friend who quilts bought fabric to share with her friends but found it to be expensive. Good (real), hand-made batik often is.

Bailey & Sophie - As others have stated, there is no Sandals on St. Kitts. The batik factory is not near a resort. It is located on Romney Manor, and you can read about it here: http://www.caribellebatikstkitts.com

Ika1012 - Yes, you can buy fabric by the yard. Keep in mind, it is not cheap and may be less expensive for you to buy a dress there. They have clothing, bags, home decor, etc. A friend who quilts bought fabric to share with her friends but found it to be expensive. Good (real), hand-made batik often is.

I sew and I am planning to buy fabric for quilt projects. Just how much is expensive? Do you have to have cash or do they take credit card? I really didn't want to be carrying a lot of money on me.