Live from Explorer's final round-trip out of New Jersey

I am going to try to do a live report WITH PICTURES this time. I have my iphone and my ASUS tablet, and will try to upload photos to photobucket, where I have an account, and then add pictures to my posts.

Cross your fingers that I can do all of that with the slooooow internet speed of the EOS.

PLEASE add questions and I will answer them or find out if I can.

Welcome aboard!

It was chilly but dry when Dave's Best Limo picked me up at my home around 8:45 A.M., Thursday, October 23.

Two others were already on the 15 (I think) passenger mini-bus/limo/giant SUV-y thing.

My friendly driver loaded my two suitcases, I buckled up, and off we went.

We made three more pickups and headed out the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the New Jersey Turnpike. (By then, I was riding shotgun. It was a much better choice of seat ;))

There were some older folks aboard, so the driver asked if anyone wanted to stop. There were some "yesses" from the back, so he pulled into the famous Joyce Kilmer rest stop.

("I think that I shall never see A poem as lovely as a tree.")

Half an hour later, he was weaving around traffic as we maneuvered into Cape Liberty. If you had been in one of the cars that we bypassed, you would have been annoyed. But since I benefited from his insane driving, I was happy. :D

By then it had been raining for some time. I jumped out and ran under the "tent" which is the luggage area for Cape Liberty/Bayonne. He brought me my suitcases, a porter put tags on them, I tipped them both, and into the "terminal" I went.

Security was a bit slow, and as usual, I "picked" the slowest of the three lines. But I chatted in line with some people from my Roll Call, so all was well.

There was no one else in my Priority line, so I was checked-in immediately. On to have my security photo taken, and then I was back on the beautiful Explorer of the Seas.

The Explorer was our "first", so will always have a special place in my heart. This is (I think) my 6th cruise on her, and probably my last.

She is looking good. I have many new/refreshed things in my cabin. The balcony is freshly repainted. The bathroom has been renovated. My couch is new. I have the old TV, but it works just fine. I had a flat screen on the Enchantment, but the Enchantment doesn't have interactivity. I would rather have tube TV with interactivity than a flat screen without. :)

I love all of the storage in Royal Caribbean cabins! My luggage wasn't there until after sailaway, but I got everything quickly stowed for the next 9 days. I don't have the same cabin for the 14 night repositioning cruise. (I'll either do a separate report for that, or piggyback on someone else's)

The Tutti Salad Bar is calling my name.

Keep the forum warm for me while I'm eating.

Carol

I am along for the ride too. I have friends on board, so they will be surprised how much I know about their cruise, when they return....:p

I cruise this coming Saturday on the Grandeur, so I will be coming here to check on updates, between packing and cleaning. Looks like I will have a busy week.

Thanks and have a great cruise.

Gwen :)

Mmm, tutti salad bar...:D

I was going to ask if you had the same cabin for both sailings; sorry you have to move, but I hope both are nice. I think we're nearly neighbors on the repo!

Thrilled to see a live from with pix from you!! You know I'll be following along.

Enjoy lunch... please report back with pictures!!! (Mmm, vicarious eating.)

xoxo

Girl!! You DO get around! We're looking forward to a New Year's Eve cruise on the Explorer. Such a great ship! I can't even count the number of times we've been on her. Have a great time. Hope to catch up with you again sometime soon!

Bon Voyage Carol. (EX was also my first!)

What is your assessment of the new terminal? Does it look like it will be ready for QN's first sailings in a few weeks?

And what time did you get to the port that there was such a long line of cars for your van to bypass?

Edited by DonnaK

Have a wonderful trip. Hope you have great weather and calm seas. We'll see you on the repositioning.

Love live reports. Hope you will continue to post through the 15th.

We too love the Explorer. This will be my 7th cruise on her in 5 years. She's taken a lot of our money.

Have fun.

Toni

It was chilly but dry when Dave's Best Limo picked me up at my home around 8:45 A.M., Thursday, October 23.

Two others were already on the 15 (I think) passenger mini-bus/limo/giant SUV-y thing.

My friendly driver loaded my two suitcases, I buckled up, and off we went.

We made three more pickups and headed out the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the New Jersey Turnpike. (By then, I was riding shotgun. It was a much better choice of seat ;))

There were some older folks aboard, so the driver asked if anyone wanted to stop. There were some "yesses" from the back, so he pulled into the famous Joyce Kilmer rest stop.

("I think that I shall never see A poem as lovely as a tree.")

Half an hour later, he was weaving around traffic as we maneuvered into Cape Liberty. If you had been in one of the cars that we bypassed, you would have been annoyed. But since I benefited from his insane driving, I was happy. :D

By then it had been raining for some time. I jumped out and ran under the "tent" which is the luggage area for Cape Liberty/Bayonne. He brought me my suitcases, a porter put tags on them, I tipped them both, and into the "terminal" I went.

Security was a bit slow, and as usual, I "picked" the slowest of the three lines. But I chatted in line with some people from my Roll Call, so all was well.

There was no one else in my Priority line, so I was checked-in immediately. On to have my security photo taken, and then I was back on the beautiful Explorer of the Seas.

The Explorer was our "first", so will always have a special place in my heart. This is (I think) my 6th cruise on her, and probably my last.

She is looking good. I have many new/refreshed things in my cabin. The balcony is freshly repainted. The bathroom has been renovated. My couch is new. I have the old TV, but it works just fine. I had a flat screen on the Enchantment, but the Enchantment doesn't have interactivity. I would rather have tube TV with interactivity than a flat screen without. :)

I love all of the storage in Royal Caribbean cabins! My luggage wasn't there until after sailaway, but I got everything quickly stowed for the next 9 days. I don't have the same cabin for the 14 night repositioning cruise. (I'll either do a separate report for that, or piggyback on someone else's)

The Tutti Salad Bar is calling my name.

Keep the forum warm for me while I'm eating.

Carol

Have fun Carol. See you on the first. Did you find out price of unlimited internet pkg?

Have fun! We just got off Explorer yesterday and I am already missing my washy washy guy and having my meals served to me.

Are you guys going to make it to Bermuda? Last we heard on Wed night, even the RC crew wasn't sure if you'd be able to get in.

Excited to read your updates!

Bon Voyage Carol. (EX was also my first!)

What is your assessment of the new terminal? Does it look like it will be ready for QN's first sailings in a few weeks?

And what time did you get to the port that there was such a long line of cars for your van to bypass?

We got to the port around 11:40. There weren't *that* many cars, but my driver didn't want to wait behind any of them! His outrageous driving actually started back at the Bayonne Bridge (I think that that is what it was). He turned down the wrong way then did a U-Turn and ran the light in front of all of the cars that were waiting at the light. :)

Have fun! We just got off Explorer yesterday and I am already missing my washy washy guy and having my meals served to me.

Are you guys going to make it to Bermuda? Last we heard on Wed night, even the RC crew wasn't sure if you'd be able to get in.

Excited to read your updates!

Absolutely no problem going to Bermuda. Our time there, unfortunately, is short. We leave at 4. I am VERY lucky to have taken the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda in July 2013 on a 7-nighter, so already spent three straight days there. It won't kill me so much really not being able to leave the Royal Dockyard area. (yes, I could dash about like a chicken with its head cut off, but I prefer not to!)

Any orders for Rum Cake? ;)

Well hello there Carol. Thanks for providing me with something to do besides pack. 😀 Have fun and I cannot wait to meet you on November 1st. If you could find out the unlimited internet package prices I (we) would appreciate it. No pressure though. I see Donna (mrsz) beat me to it. Slow typing me.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by DKNYC

On arrival in Bayonne, although it was raining, I snapped some pictures through the van's window of the ship and the new terminal.

I NEED TECHNICAL HELP.

Mark/Radio, if you see this, please email me!

If anyone has Mark's contact info, please ask him to email me!

Let me tell you, Royal Caribbean is not wasting any money on exterior embellishments. The outside of the new terminal looks like a military storage unit. I am sure that it will be amazing and high-tech INSIDE, but from the outside, you would never know that this is the brand new, much-anticipated "Quantum-ready" pier.

You can see the walkway thingie already, and the actual ENTRANCE area of the building looks fine, with a big glass wall and doors. It's the rest of it that looks like metal sheeting. That's because it's metal sheeting. :rolleyes:

So if you have been watching the webcam, and wonder why it looks so "unfinished" or "like a construction site", THAT'S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

I swear, I will post pictures as soon as I can coordinate my assorted devices.

As those of you who have used the ship's computers know, you can't upload or download anything. I am trying to use my phone and my tablet, but so far I am being thwarted.

Edited by Merion_Mom

If possible I would like to know what is happening with Explorer after the last cruise from Port Canaveral in March 2015 and the first cruise from Southampton in late April 2015.

What is the next stop after Port Canaveral on the Cadiz (?) dry dock no passenger run?

Thanks

If possible I would like to know what is happening with Explorer after the last cruise from Port Canaveral in March 2015 and the first cruise from Southampton in late April 2015.

What is the next stop after Port Canaveral on the Cadiz (?) dry dock no passenger run?

Thanks

Drydock for 45 days starting in March. Drydock will be in Spain. So your timeline makes sense for Southampton in late April 2015.

(Sorry to butt in! I got the lowdown from our headwaiter a few days ago.)