Anyone ever been to St. Kitts?

Allensfan

Was there last November on Celebrity Silhouette cruise. Nice stop. We were only there once, so I can only speak to the one excursion we did. And that was an ocean kayak excursion. Longish van ride to the launch area - but very scenic and interesting (lots of development going on the island -- resort/hotel type of development). Some snorkeling upon arrival and then a two-person kayak from one beach to another -- somewhat challenging (I think more difficult than kayaking in a lake).... we enjoyed the excursion. I think the couple we ate dinner with did the excursion which was a train tour and they liked it very much. Very pretty island with some amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean when you are up high.

We are thinking of booking Oasis for next year and the new stop will be St. Kitts.

I don't know anything about this new stop. Anyone have something to share?

Thanks

I don't have a lot to share. I hope OASIS is the only ship in port that day, the port is small, but does have a nice typical shopping area. On my only trip there we didn't see much of the island, we took a royal sponsored catamaran excursion which included a BBQ lunch on a beach at Nevis. It was a very nice day.

We've been the St. Kitts three times. It's become one of our favorite islands. If you want a real eclectic tour (we loved it) try Royston Tours (http://www.roystontoursstkitts.com/).

St. Kitts is a very beautiful island and slightly different than some of the others (for example, there are a lot of monkeys).

Tom

We are thinking of booking Oasis for next year and the new stop will be St. Kitts.

Thanks

Lots of tourist traps, er shops right at the end of the pier. Second most dangerous country to visit in the Caribbean (after Jamaica). They have a train that runs around the island that was a nice way to see the scenery.

You can seem some pictures of it and the train ride here:

St Kitts Is a quirky place and well worth a day ashore with a guide..... highly recommend http://tourstkittsandnevis.com/

Alternatively, if it's being offered, take the organised day to Nevis. I fell in love with this little island which is full of lush scenery and history.

Linda

That is a great website to recommend.

Quirky definitely describes this island, and the aforementioned tour operator Royston. That said, I very much recommend both! Check out the St. Kitts board here on CC for more information about the various tour operators. If you don't want a full-day tour, at least go up and see Brimstone Fortress. It is an amazing site and sight, and the views are astonishing.

We've VERY MUCH enjoyed taking the "Catamaran Sail to Nevis" several times. :)

Also enjoyed the Scenic Railway. Fun thing to do once. ;)

The beaches we've been so far were just so-so but we've heard good things about the Marriott Resort.

LuLu

We have been there twice and enjoyed it each time. The first time we did an excursion through Royal Caribbean. It was an all inclusive island tour, and, unfortunately, I don't recall the name. One of the highlights, however, was the stop at the fort. We had a bit of climbing to do, but it was worth the effort. The other highlight was a stop at a plantation and Batik store where there were batik demonstrations. The clothing was beautiful. On our second trip, we did things on our own. Have a wonderful time!

Another great tour operator is Thenford Grey tours.

Just google his name and it will come up.

Thenford is a great guy and does an outstanding job.

Last time we went to the Calambara Beach Club. Had a great day there.

I agree, Thenford has a great tour and is a true gentleman. We've toured with him multiple times. He was the one that introduced us to the Carambola Beach Club, which we love.

Another vote here for Thenford Grey. An absolute gentleman. We visited St Kitts with friends and it was her 60th birthday. Mr Grey decorated his bus especially for her. We went to the fort, the batik factory, the cricket ground and all round the island. Stopped at the Marriott and we could have stayed at the beach and been collected later but we all voted to go back into town instead. Nothing was too much trouble for him. He made sure we all had a good time.

Took a 15 minute taxi ride to the Marriott Resort and purchased a day pass. I think it was $35.00 each. Nice beach and swim up bar. There may have been a food discount included.

Looking to do this in October ...last time we went to Reggae Beach Bar which was nice.. i know its our first port after three days coming down from Boston so I will want off ...

Thanks

I hope the following can help you....

Grey's Tours (Thenford Grey) photo review here - Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill Fortress, Carambola Beach:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45058584&highlight=excursion#post45058584

BlueWater Safari Catamaran Tour to Nevis photo review here - (snorkel & beach):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46206348&highlight=bluewater#post46206348

Have an awesome cruise! :D

We did a ship excursion to Fort Brimstone (high up; incredible views of the Caribbean) and Romney Manor (nice gardens but was crowded). I like St. Kitts, would like to go back.

http://blog.timesunion.com/travelgal/st-kitts-history-and-culture-brimstone-hill-fortress-romney-manor-spice-mill-and-carambola/9591/

We were just in St. Kitts with Independence of the Seas less than a month ago. We booked a Best of St. Kitts tour with Rosevelt Taylor of Paradise Island tours. He was terrific. It was super easy to meet him when we disembarked. We hit all of the highlights of the island including Romney Manor and Brimstone Fortress. Rosevelt was an excellent guide - knowledgeable, friendly and very accommodating.