Custom Tour? Hiring a "Driver"?

Deptacon

Hey everyone,

Having a hard time figuring out what to do on St Kitts. Wife and I are bringing my parent son this cruise to show them cruising, so we want to make sure they have a good time.

I know everyone says Tours, Tours, Tours, but I dont know how fun driving around in a car all day is going to do it. I can see my mom not being happy sitting in a car all day with lackluster A/C.

We thought about walking around downtown then taking a taxi over to Friar Beach area to beach bar hop??? Its our kid of thing.

would it be worth it find someone who can be hired to take us to a few key spots that the tours hit, manily for views, and thentakes us to Friars for a few hours?

IS the downtown area worth walking around? decent shops? big enough? nice area? worth it or no?

We have a boat tour of St Maarten the next day, so I dont know if the boat tour would be fun 2 days in a row.....

Another option is my wife and I dive, we could let them loose to walk around downtown and then maybe go to Friars to hit some beach bars? thoughts? will they have fun on thier own?

Almost all of the tour operators are driving large vans with air conditioning.

Many of the tour operators will do what is called a " Half Island Tour" and then take you to the beach of your choice. South Friars Beach is the only about 15 min or so from town.

There is shopping at the port area and Basseterre is nearby with additional shopping.

There is shopping at the port area and Basseterre is nearby with additional shopping.

How is it? decent size? Assuming not as big as Phillipsburg? St Thomas size? looking at pictures and other things (like the amount of resturants downtown on trip advisor) that the downtown area is not that big.