Ideas for Mother/Adult Daughters cruise

kasil

My mom and I are toying with the idea of a "girls only" cruise. It would be five women, ages 40 to 75. Any suggestions for cabins? Do any ships have cabins for 5 adults? I am the only one who has cruised before, so where we go is less important than how we get there. I'd also like to sail for only 4-6 days since the others haven't cruised before. Which lines/ships would you recommend to avoid a "booze cruise"? I've cruised Carnival, RCI and NCL, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks so much for the help.

Carnival has some Family cabins that sleep 5, with two bathrooms.

To avoid booze cruises sail a weeklong when schools are in session.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've cruised a number of times with my mom. I just turned 50, and she's 74.

We've done Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, and this summer we're doing Norwegian.

Celebrity is a particularly good fit for us -- at dinner we were seated with others in our age range -- including another mother/daughter duo. My mom has preferred the entertainment on Celebrity vs RCCL.

Only trying NCL (Alaska) this summer because it was $1000/person cheaper than the identical route on Celebrity!

Have done a few girls' cruises- with my daughter and sister and a friend.

We get 2 ocean view cabins near each other.

We did a girls cruise for 4 days on RCI's Enchantment of the Seas (to the Bahamas) and a 7 day on Holland America's Westerdam (to Aruba, Curacao, and Half Moon Cay.) Both were good, but the 7 day was more interesting due to the ports.

How fun to do a cruise like that!

(My mom (74) and I (53) are doing a mother-daughter cruise on the Oasis in late August. We've been on the Oasis before (for my parents' 50'th), and she lives in South Florida, I'll fly in a few days early, and my father will take us to the port -- easy peasy. ) There are so many options for eating/entertainment/bars.

We'd love to do a cruise like that with other combinations of women -- but definitely get 2 cabins at least. Everyone will be happier. Adjoining rooms, rooms next door, or rooms across from each other would all work great.

I imagine other cruise lines would technically work better, but I imagine that a group of girlfriends could have fun wherever they are.

My adult daughter (50's) and I (70's) take a trip together every year, mostly cruises but we've done land trips too. I suggest a Caribbean trip to start, which is what we did. But if it goes well, try the Med which we did on several different itineraries. We leave our men at home with their dogs and we have a different kind of trip than with the guys. More shopping, more laughing and talking.

Last trip we got a free upgrade to a jr. suite on Royal. We find the Celebrity ships work best for our range of ages as we are both comfortable. But we have also been happy with Royal as neither of them are much in the way of Booze cruising. I'm elite with Celebrity so we get some good perks which add to the enjoyment.

Once you start you'll be back for more.

Edited by Trainer

NCL has 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom family suites. The main bedroom is a king, there is a foldout sofa in the living room and another bedroom with either a full size and twin bunk above or twin bunks and a bathroom. The second bedroom and bathroom are small but the main bathroom is HUGE with a separate tub and big walk in shower and separate toilet room and 2 sinks and a separate makeup area. There is a living room with a sofa, and 2 chairs and a dining table with 4 chairs. This suite comes with butler and concierge service and perks like a special breakfast and lunch and on the newer NCL ships - Epic, Getaway, Breakaway and Escape a dining room for suite guests ONLY - which is fantastic plus access to The Haven. A lot of times these suites can be less expensive when shared by 5 than say, 2 mini-suites.

The next step up on NCL are the Garden Villas which have 3 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms, grand player pianos, living room, dining room, private deck with hot tub, concierge and butler service. While the overall price is expensive, when you divide it up amongst 6 people, it is really not bad at all and could run less than 3 balcony cabins.

My Mom (77) and I (46) have been cruising together for 4-5 years. She is my cruising buddy. We have been cruising on RCI for the last three years, but I have cruised on Carnival and Celebrity. Carnival was more of what I would describe as a floating Spring Break while Celebrity the opposite with more cultural activities. RCI has a good mix of activities and venues for all ages. The Anthem of the Seas and I believe the Harmony of the Seas have modular cabins that can connect together. I would also recommend the Aqua Theater Suite on the Oasis class ships. Both the perks and the views are great. The bathroom area on all of the ships I have sailed on tend to be compact, so I would avoid trying to cruise with 5 women in a cabin with only one bathroom.

As for where to go, Alaska has been our favorite so far, but those are usually week long cruise. It was Mom's first cruise. There is a 5 night to Bermuda that is nice. Bermuda is beautiful. RCI also has a private resort in Labadee, Haiti which is great as well.

Mom, Sis and I sail West Coast at least once a year together. Started on the four day cruises and last January did a 13 day one together. Primarily Mexican Riviera with a California Coastal thrown in for fun. Mom and Sis will be doing their third HI cruise in a few months.

Sis and I have a deal. I'll sleep in any bunk as long as she sleeps on any sofa.

Edited by SadieN

5 women and 1 bathroom does not sound like a good idea.

I would split it up, 3 and 2.

If you do Princess, the 3 have to get a mini suite, otherwise, one person is in a bunk bed.

We are doing an mom and daughters cruise to the Caribbean. Mom is retiring and we wanted to do something special for her. My sister and I did not want to climb stairs to go to bed, so the only way to avoid this is a mini suite on Princess.

I have never been on Celebrity but I hear it's nice.

I would book whichever cruise is cheaper on either Princess or Celebrity.

Have fun

I would do two connecting balcony cabins or a two bedroom family suite. We did a girls cruise (we are in our 50's) to Bermuda. It was 5 days and we had a great time. It was on RC and was not a booze cruise.

Years ago we did an anniversary cruise with my parents (party of 6) and booked adjoining balconies on Princess. They unlocked the balcony dividers so we had a very nice wide space.

Last month, Mom and I sailed Oceania on the MS Nautica in the Mediterranean. It was port intensive, and lots of places I had not visited before. We had a great time and felt very pampered.

Cheers, K

Others have responded with some great suggestions. Just wanted to say have fun! I am doing a girls' cruise in two weeks with 10 women ranging in age from 28 to 70. Most are first time cruisers, so we're just doing a 4-day on the NCL Sky. Since not everyone knows one another, my mom (one of the organizers) organized a meet and greet at her house a few weeks ago. Built the anticipation and now everyone knows each other.

Oh, we also got a row of balcony cabins, two per cabin. Just worked out that way, since the Sky's cabins are small.

Have fun with whatever cruise you choose!

We did a mother ,daughter cruise for my daughters 40th birthday, There were 4 of us age 22, 37,40, 58. It was a five night on rccl Independence of the Seas. We had an absolute blast. We did 2 to a room and they were adjoining which allowed us to be all together but not too crowded.