New to Celebrity

kpkcruiser

After many Princess cruises we are taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Equinox Feb 23. Excited to try a new line and experience the differences. One question I am hoping someone will respond to - Princess has self-serve laundry facilities and I know Celebrity doesn't but wondering if there is somewhere on board I can iron shirts and things instead of sending them out for service? My other idea is to bring an iron on board but I'm sure that's frowned up. Thanks for your help!!!:)

After many Princess cruises we are taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Equinox Feb 23. Excited to try a new line and experience the differences. One question I am hoping someone will respond to - Princess has self-serve laundry facilities and I know Celebrity doesn't but wondering if there is somewhere on board I can iron shirts and things instead of sending them out for service? My other idea is to bring an iron on board but I'm sure that's frowned up. Thanks for your help!!!:)

Sorry, no self-ironing facilities either.

It is strictly forbidden to take an iron on board. If you try, it will be detected during the security screening and you will have to go down to the "naughty room" to remove it from your luggage. It will be handed back to you at the end of the cruise.

It is much easier, anyway, to put the few items that get creased in transit on a hanger, hang them in the bathroom and then send you husband in to have a hot shower/bath [depending on the type of room you have] while you do the remaining unpacking unhampered by his "help"!

Edited by Project_gal

You can bring all the Fe style iron you can carry but not an iron. So, the only alternatives are to pack well, bring non wrinkling clothes or pay the few nickels to have your item ironed. Also, you might not even be charged for the ironing, if you talk to your cabin steward nice.

Edited by neverbeenhere

I, too, am new to Celebrity (having been an avid fan of MSC) and have learnt lots from reading the threads on this forum - for that I say a big "thank you" to all who contribute here.

I cannot answer your question but I would imagine all cruise lines have a similar policy with regard to passengers bringing personal irons onboard -it's a no-no due to them being a fire hazard which is a huge safety concern in the industry. I've heard that if one shows up in the x-ray of your luggage it will be taken and held for the cruise duration, although I did get a travel iron through one time but it was before I learnt that they're not allowed (on MSC, anyway). I never brought it after learning of this and the reason for it.

We cruise both Celebrity and Princess. I know my suggestion is not answering your question, BUT my husband now only travels with “Traveler” shirts which absolutely do not wrinkle--I never iron them at home. Along with rolled up knit shirts, we never need an iron.

On a long trip, we send out clothes to the laundry once, and are pleased with the results.

It’s actually rather nice to not be having to “do” laundry!

Irons are not allowed but steamers are OK. A steamer can do wonders to wrinkled shirt, pants and suit jackets.

And will, like irons, be confiscated--for return during disembarkation--if detected during luggage screening...

Following is from the FAQ section of the Celebrity website...

-----

Q: Is my stateroom furnished with amenities that I don’t need to pack?

A: All stateroom bathrooms are equipped with soap, shampoo, conditioner and a wall-mounted hair dryer. All ships in our fleet have at least one North American and one European outlet in every stateroom. Millennium Class and Solstice Class ships each have multiple North American and European outlets.

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates. Regular service, picked up before 9AM - returned next day. For same day service, picked up before 9AM and returned same day, add 50% express service surcharge.

All suites have a safe located in the closet. All staterooms have a safe behind the desk mirror or in the closet.

-----

This provision has been in place for years and I've both seen and heard of it being enforced...

On a December 2014 Eclipse cruise, lots of steamers were taken in the naughty room. I got caught having a very small knife in my bag. So I saw people giving up steamers, despite arguments with the security staff. Didn't seem to matter what kind they were, all given up.

By the way, I had a much larger knife, still a pocket knife, in my carry-on which no one seemed to have a problem with.

when we left the ship in Miami, I was unable to find the place where you are retrieve those confiscated items. So I never got my little knife back. Not a big loss but annoying all the same.

By the way, hair dryers were not wall mounted as suggested above. The dryer was in a drawer in the desk/make up area.

Edited by Trainer

If an item is confiscated at the security screening line in the terminal, you pick it up back at the terminal before going through passport control. If it is found during bag x-ray on board, you pick it up just as you are leaving the ship. There was a nice selection of irons, steamers, electric multi-sockets, knives and extension cords on display at the table just as we were leaving Equinox yesterday. We were among the last off, so I imagine that these items were never picked up at all.

I learnt about the iron rule by asking on here.

Big thank you to all you advisors. I have just seen a post which ask just what I want to know so I will be watching that.

I took a hammer on. We went to Civitavecchi from a stay in Venice where we bought a crab. Live as it turned out. A bit of a language slip up.

I knew I would use the hammer at home. I didn't need another crab claw cracker. Called meanness. Got through without question.

Shame about the other persons knife.