Status Of Governor's Beach

Saphire

We are cruising in a few weeks and Governor's Beach is our favorite spot on Grand Turk. I read that the beach may be closed during the month of March. Does anyone have any current information about this? Thanks!

We just got back on Feb 16. I cant tell you about the beach being closed in March, but I can tell you there were no facilities to use. It's not like it use to be. We spent a few hours on the beach searching for seaglass. There were only 4 other couples on the beach, besides us. We took our own water and a bottle of wine, was a great day. Stopped at Jack's Shack on the way back to the ship. Have fun!

We just got back on Feb 16. I cant tell you about the beach being closed in March, but I can tell you there were no facilities to use. It's not like it use to be. We spent a few hours on the beach searching for seaglass. There were only 4 other couples on the beach, besides us. We took our own water and a bottle of wine, was a great day. Stopped at Jack's Shack on the way back to the ship. Have fun!

Was your sea glass search sucessful? Sea glass lovers want to know! TIA :)

Could we walk to governors beach from the pier? Anyone know how far it is?

Do note on Nitemare's map link that you can not walk the beach the whole way. From th epier, if you didn't want to walk up to Jack's, you head straight through the port complex tot he parking lot, turn left and go out the main road then take your 3 left. That adds about a klick or two to the distance from Jacks. But either way you are walking a little less than a mile. Watch traffic. Going from jacks or from the cruise port, traffic will be coming from behind you.

Just realized this thread is about Governor's Beach being closed this month, when we will be there. Anyone heard anything about that? I'll do a search and let everyone know if I find out anything.

Just realized this thread is about Governor's Beach being closed this month, when we will be there. Anyone heard anything about that? I'll do a search and let everyone know if I find out anything.

Well, there doesn't seem to be any information about closing. I looked at the local GT news sites and didn't see any notice. If your ship has been there earlier in the month, ask one of the crew members, they or someone on board may know. Otherwise, you're out 30-45 minutes time and get a good walk in to head there and find out you can't enter and then turn around. At that point, head back to Jack's and give them your free coupon for a shot of the local rum. You'd earn it!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would come back and give a report of Governor's beach. We were there March 24th. It was indeed 'closed', there were no facilities open, no rentals of chairs or floats like two year ago.

However, the beach is beautiful and pristine. We stayed there the whole morning and enjoyed swimming. The beach is not rocky at all. The pictures we took were stunning, and we were the only ones on the beach!

The 15 minute walk it is not that great, nothing has been improved along the road. Perhaps with the closing, there will be improvements? I hope so, as we much prefer this lovely beach to the generic Margaritaville.

• 3 weeks later...

Any new updates in April for this beach? We found this beach 2 cruises ago and it is the only one we walk to now when in GT. We are going on Pride May 3rd and it would be nice if the beach had chair rentals again. Lovely, quiet area:)

• 2 weeks later...
Any new updates in April for this beach? We found this beach 2 cruises ago and it is the only one we walk to now when in GT. We are going on Pride May 3rd and it would be nice if the beach had chair rentals again. Lovely, quiet area:)

If you go to Governor's Beach on your May 3 cruise, please let us know what you find when you return. I leave on the Pride 2 weeks after you and am very interested! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I said I would report back on Governor's Beach......We were in GT last Wednesday and it was a beautiful day. My DH and I walked the 20 minutes to Governor's Beach and it is indeed closed. No chairs, no bathrooms, no snack bar. 2 men were hanging around the boarded up snack bar and we did not feel real comfortable. Especially after the daily paper on board had a note about staying in the "cruise area" and don't carry a lot of money or jewelry on you. I just had a weird feeling so we walked back to the main beach area. We were the only ship in port so it was not crowded and we sat in front of a little bar called Barefoot Cabana. It's near the over rated Jack's. It was lovely. The chairs were free as long as you buy drinks/food from them. Not a problem!

I said I would report back on Governor's Beach......We were in GT last Wednesday and it was a beautiful day. My DH and I walked the 20 minutes to Governor's Beach and it is indeed closed. No chairs, no bathrooms, no snack bar. 2 men were hanging around the boarded up snack bar and we did not feel real comfortable. Especially after the daily paper on board had a note about staying in the "cruise area" and don't carry a lot of money or jewelry on you. I just had a weird feeling so we walked back to the main beach area. We were the only ship in port so it was not crowded and we sat in front of a little bar called Barefoot Cabana. It's near the over rated Jack's. It was lovely. The chairs were free as long as you buy drinks/food from them. Not a problem!

Thanks for letting us know. Now I have a dilemma. This beach is the only one on GT that I've heard has sea glass, and I love collecting sea glass. Going to have to think hard about this.