Whale sightings from ship

JOJO351969

• 5 months later...

I tried to find out from different websites today and came across this:

"Each winter, the majestic humpback whale makes Grand Turk its home. North Atlantic Humpback whales are seen in the area from late January through early April."

Since we are in December, we might be too early to see them.

We usually cruise every January and have been to Grand Turk several times. A few years back one of the guys in our group went on a snorkeling tour and they saw a humpback from the snorkel boat. That same year a few people saw them from a distance while on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went this past April and I kept my eyes open cruising in and out and didn't see anything. :( We were probably too late to see the migration.

We will be going again this year at the end of March-April and I'm keeping my fingers crossed again. :)

I do know local companies offer tours to do the whale watching, but they are extremely expensive (around $189 pp I believe).

Has anyone see whales from off the ship on the way in to Grand Turk or leaving? We have a balcony and will be there during migration in 2016.

I've only been to Grand Turk once, in early December 2010 on the ms Eurodam and from the back of the ship as we were sailing away from Grand Turk, I saw one lone humpback.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we were sailing away from Grand Turk in late February and while sitting on our balcony mid afternoon (the ship left GT at 2 pm) saw a whale in the distance breaching a few times - then we'd lose sight of it and find it again when it would blow out its blowhole. It was neat to see.

• 3 weeks later...