Repositioning cruise passport question

C&THollings

Do you know if you leave in New Orleans and dock in San Juan PR, will you need a passport to fly home?

Our Friends who do not have passport are thinking about this cruise (us too). (We have our passports, would not travel without them :))

My thinking is they are both US ports so they should be fine.

Yes, I know he should have a passport, but that is another conservation all together ;)

Thanks in advance for not busting out about the passport issue or lack of one! :)

That is a tricky question to answer.. Here is the reason why. If you visit a foreign port which you will even though you will be ending your cruise in a US territory you will still need to clear customs and I I believe its not considered a closed loop cruise. Therefor you would need a passport.

That is a tricky question to answer.. Here is the reason why. If you visit a foreign port which you will even though you will be ending your cruise in a US territory you will still need to clear customs and I I believe its not considered a closed loop cruise. Therefor you would need a passport.

You would still need to go through customs if you embarked and debarked in let's say Florida.

Do you know if you leave in New Orleans and dock in San Juan PR, will you need a passport to fly home?

Our Friends who do not have passport are thinking about this cruise (us too). (We have our passports, would not travel without them :))

My thinking is they are both US ports so they should be fine.

Yes, I know he should have a passport, but that is another conservation all together ;)

Thanks in advance for not busting out about the passport issue or lack of one! :)

They need to use a passport book OR card OR other WHTI document

From Travel Documentation: U.S Citizens

Cruises that begin and end in different U.S ports / Cruises that begin and end in a foreign port

Guests are required to carry a valid U.S passport or other applicable, WHTI-Compliant Document listed below to enter or re-enter the United States by land or sea.

Carnival Victory 1/27/13 cruise: San Juan/Miami

Carnival Valor 2/03/13 cruise: Miami/San Juan

Carnival Miracle 3/16/13 cruise: New York/Long Beach

Carnival Miracle 4/14/13 cruise: Long Beach/Vancouver

Carnival Miracle 4/29/13 cruise: Vancouver/Seattle

Carnival Miracle 9/10/13 cruise: Seattle/Vancouver

Carnival Miracle 9/17/13 cruise: Vancouver/Long Beach

Carnival Conquest 11/09/13 cruise: New Orleans/San Juan

Carnival Conquest 11/16/13 cruise: San Juan/Miami

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative / WHTI-Compliant Documents

1) Valid U.S. Passport

2) The Passport Card

3) State Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL)

4) Certificate of U.S. Naturalization and a Government-Issued Photo I.D

5) Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card - NEXUS Card, SENTRI Card or FAST Card

6) Native American Indians

Yes, if you're on a repositioning cruise that embarks in New Orleans and debarks in San Juan, you do need a passport. We are doing a repositioning cruise in January and need to get a passport for my DD.

sorry wrong post my bad

Puerto Rico is not a foreign port. No passport is needed to fly to/from there and the mainland. Same with the US Virgin Islands.

It is also an exemption in PSVA.

Regardless you still need a passport book or other WHTI documented listed for the cruise from NOLA to SJ and SJ to POM. As well as other repo sailings.

That information is on the required travel documents link I provided above in my pp.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative / WHTI-Compliant Documents

1) Valid U.S. Passport

2) The Passport Card

3) State Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL)

4) Certificate of U.S. Naturalization and a Government-Issued Photo I.D

5) Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card - NEXUS Card, SENTRI Card or FAST Card

So if you don't have a passport, you can take a Native American Indian instead??? :eek:;):):D

So if you don't have a passport, you can take a Native American Indian instead??? :eek:;):):D

Only if his name is Tonto, LOL

These cards cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

Native American Indian Tribal Documents with affixed Photo I.D.

Kootenai Tribe Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC) with affixed Photo I.D.

Technically, you don't need a passport to fly home. You don't need a passport to fly from Puerto Rico to the US mainland. However, you will need a passport to clear customs in San Juan.

Actually you would need a passport long before you got to San Juan- you would need it to board the ship in the first place;).

Wow...so many answers, so much information, who is right and who is wrong.

Personally (and only my opinion) irregardless of the cost for anyone traveling by sea or air a passport is an accessory that is more than worthwhile and saves a lot of headaches and/or stress in the long run. It is valid identification anywhere in the world, it makes using a credit card to purchase things in foreign ports that much easier, it helps enormously if things go wrong in port.

Of course the initial cost is a bummer, but like others have said in other threads the cost over the life of the passport is little more than 2 fru-fru coffees a year. And, for me, a much better investment.

Puerto Rico is not a foreign port. No passport is needed to fly to/from there and the mainland. Same with the US Virgin Islands.

It is also an exemption in PSVA.

right but you do need it to get off the ship in San Juan.

We were looking at the Repositioning cruise in February-- and my dad does not have a passport so we did not book the cruise

Yes, but a passport is not required.

This thread asked specifically about the re-positioning cruise. Not closed loops from San Juan.

What part from the Carnival Site for required Travel Documents did you not understand?

Travel Documentation: U.S Citizens

Cruises that begin and end in different U.S ports / Cruises that begin and end in a foreign port

Guests are required to carry a valid U.S passport or other applicable, WHTI-Compliant Document listed below to enter or re-enter the United States by land or sea.

Carnival Victory 1/27/13 cruise: San Juan/Miami

Carnival Valor 2/03/13 cruise: Miami/San Juan

Carnival Miracle 3/16/13 cruise: New York/Long Beach

Carnival Miracle 4/14/13 cruise: Long Beach/Vancouver

Carnival Miracle 4/29/13 cruise: Vancouver/Seattle

Carnival Miracle 9/10/13 cruise: Seattle/Vancouver

Carnival Miracle 9/17/13 cruise: Vancouver/Long Beach

Carnival Conquest 11/09/13 cruise: New Orleans/San Juan

Carnival Conquest 11/16/13 cruise: San Juan/Miami

Yes, but a passport is not required.

This thread asked specifically about the re-positioning cruise. Not closed loops from San Juan.

What part from the Carnival Site for required Travel Documents did you not understand?

Travel Documentation: U.S Citizens

I think what he's trying to say is that you could use a passport card or any of the other WHTI-Compliant Documents listed. So technically you are both right~ if the OP's friends wanted to get a passport card that would work for this cruise or if their state has enhanced DL's those would work~

From the State Department website:

I'm taking a "Closed Loop" cruise, do I need a passport?

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants).

(More at: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/travel/related/1)

They need to use a passport book OR card OR other WHTI document

From Travel Documentation: U.S Citizens

The Conquest reposition is not through the Panama Canal and there are no ports outside of the Caribbean. A passport is simply not required. There are other forms of documentation that are acceptable.

Which is EXACTLY what I had posted in my pp. Not I nor anyone else has said that a passport book was the only document that could be used.

Archived