What to do in Anchorage for the day?

Jojo4A

Sailing on the Coral Princess out of Vancouver 5-14-12. We get into Whittier then to Anchorage on Monday the 21st. Soooo excited. Our flight back home to Alabama is not until 11:55 that night. Thought about renting a car for the day and seeing the sights. We get dropped off at the Hospitality Center in downtown Anchorage. I know it closes early evening. I was thinking if we had a car, we would have our luggage with us, could see the sights, then go to the airport about 9pm. Would appreciate any recommendations from others who know more about this.

There is a lot to do in Anchorage for just a day. I suspect you mean the log cabin Visitor center on 4th Ave.....To my knowledge there is no "hospitality center". There is a federal building right across the street that offers free 30 minute movies about Alaska...It also has displays of wildlife..etc...Have a reindeer hot dog right in front of the building with all of the locals...The guy has been on that corner for 20 years and the food is wonderful....Go to the Anchorage Museum...It is about 4 clocks from there. You can spend hours there. They have wonderful displays on life in Alaska....You can go on an hour trolley ride around town with some commentary on what you are seeing...You can take a trolley to the ULU factory where you can get an authentic and useful souvenir....But they have to go in your luggage....not carry on...Listen to the music in the park....They have entertainment every day....You can catch a trolley to the zoo...or to the Alaskan Native Center where you can see more exhibits as well as dancing, singing , story telling and craft demonstrations...if you are a gardener...There are free trolleys to the botanical garden in Anchorage. There are also tours that originate from downtown....Check out Salmon Berry and 907 tours...(Google)...and have some delicious dinner when you come back...:)

earthquake park, 12th and M seafoods for a box to take home.... check with the visitors center and see if it is Farmers Market Day... one of the best I have been too!! So many things to kill a day in Anchorage... if you want a Nice meal Glacier Brewhouse is one of my favorites....they have just incredible meals! Have fun!!

There is a lot to do in Anchorage for just a day. I suspect you mean the log cabin Visitor center on 4th Ave.....To my knowledge there is no "hospitality center".

Yes there is, the cruiselines use the Egan Center, for the day trippers in Anchorage, they shuttle from there and store bags. They close around 6pm.

Sailing on the Coral Princess out of Vancouver 5-14-12. We get into Whittier then to Anchorage on Monday the 21st. Soooo excited. Our flight back home to Alabama is not until 11:55 that night. Thought about renting a car for the day and seeing the sights. We get dropped off at the Hospitality Center in downtown Anchorage. I know it closes early evening. I was thinking if we had a car, we would have our luggage with us, could see the sights, then go to the airport about 9pm. Would appreciate any recommendations from others who know more about this.

Although the most costly option, it makes, BY far the best use of your time- consider renting the car direct from Whittier. Stop in Girdwood, at Alyeska, Portage Visitor Center, Alaska Wild Animal Conservatory, Crow Creek, Potter's March etc etc etc. You could bypass Anchorage, and head directly north, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Musk Ox Farm, Eklutna Spirit House tour, more etc etc.

IF you go into Anchorage. http://www.anchorage.net

There is a lot to do in Anchorage for just a day. I suspect you mean the log cabin Visitor center on 4th Ave.....To my knowledge there is no "hospitality center".

Haven't you been downtown in the Summer? They turn the Egan center into Cruise ship central. Tour buses camped outside every day....luggage trucks lined up and thousands of eager tourists....

You ought to walk by there some day during tourist season you would be amazed......;)

I agree 100% with BQ. Pick up a rental from Avis and enjoy the sights between Whittier and Anchorage. A one-way rental can be expensive but compare it to the cost of transfers and a RT rental.

Even if you get a RT rental in Anchorage, I'd still do that drive. There's a lot to see and do along the Turnagain Arm. Suggested stops in this link: http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

If it's rainy stormy day, I'd consider spending it in Anchorage but otherwise, take advantage of your time and explore!

Going to Hatcher's Pass this year in May....the back side of the pass..which is the most scenic (IMHO) probably won't be open due to snow yet....It won't affect the front half of the pass which is also spectacular....It alone can take most of the day...but what a great day....:) The famers markets are open on Sat and Wednesday...there are several in the area but the produce doesn't really get into the markets in huge supplies till June...I still have snow on my garden....and won't be able to plant for another few weeks...like the middle of May, I hope....

Going to Hatcher's Pass this year in May....the back side of the pass..which is the most scenic (IMHO) probably won't be open due to snow yet....It won't affect the front half of the pass which is also spectacular....It alone can take most of the day...but what a great day....:) The famers markets are open on Sat and Wednesday...there are several in the area but the produce doesn't really get into the markets in huge supplies till June...I still have snow on my garden....and won't be able to plant for another few weeks...like the middle of May, I hope....

The "back half" isn't doable by any of the major car rentals anyway.

Archived