Who Does Formal Nights?

AmandaF

Do you participate in formal night?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you participate in formal night?

• I participate in formal night
    • I don't participate in formal night

We will be taking an Alaskan Cruise next July on the Princess Line. We have taken several Caribbean Cruises with Carnival. We have done the formal nights with Carnival before except for our last cruise, when we decided we just didn't want to go to the trouble. It was no big deal on Carnival, we just hung out by the pool and ate pizza, lol. It was great, it wasn't crowded for once. I'm not sure if this will go over well with Princess? Does everyone do the formal nights on Princess? How many of y'all does the formal nights and how many doesn't?

Personally, we are not big fans of formal nights. When we first started cruising we never did formal nights because we didn't own any formal wear. After a few cruises we figured out tuxes and suits were not required, so we started going. Now it just depends on the mood we are in whether we go or not. Most of the time we would rather stay casual and relax than go thru all the fuss of dressing up.

We do not do formal nights anymore. What with baggage restrictions it is easier to just wear smart casual. In Alaska the dress code is much more relaxed anyway. You can always go to a specialty restaurant on formal nights or the buffet.

Last cruise on Princess (10 day Mexican Riviera) Mom, Sis and I wore black slacks and fancy tops. We were dressed perfectly. Men wore everything from tuxes to Guayaberas.

To save on shoes I wear the same black ballet flats as I wear other days. Mom wears black socks with her black neoprene slides.

Have no idea what Sis wore on her feet.

What I'm saying is that 'where there's a will, there's a way' if you want to do formal night.

One 6 day cruise in HAL we never went to the MDR.

Edited by SadieN

I find I interesting that at this point 86% say yes they participate in formal night, yet almost all the posts are from folks who don't.

We love to dress for formal evening because we don't have many occasions to do so where we live. DH brings his tux and I bring my sparklies and we glam it up for a couple of evenings, trying to recreate the feeling of how it must have been to cruise a long time ago.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I didn't vote becuase I think there needs to be a 3rd option;).....

SOMETIMES:D.......I used to always dress up on formal nights...now?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.;)

I haven't done long dresses for several years. Now, I just wear a cocktail dress and nice accessories. DH tends to wear a blue blazer with nice dress slacks and a dress shirt and tie. He used to take a suit or rent a tux, but not anymore.

Edited by BND

Hi:

I dress every night as "formal night" on our cruises. I have the "cruise dresses" and not that many places to wear them where we live; so I really enjoy dressing up, even when it's not expected.

We went to the Phantom of the Opera a couple of weeks ago, and I was dressed in a nice dress; but most the of ladies had on jeans and slacks. I just thought more people would be "dressy" for this Opera.

When we first started cruising 30 years ago, almost everyone dressed up on formal nights; and now, it seems that there are a lot less people who do...

The only time I got my DH in a tux, was for the Millineium (sp)? Cruise on RCCL, for NY Eve in 1999. A lot of formal dresses and tux's that night. Now, he just wears a suit for formal night; but he really looked great in his tux.

Going on a cruise in four weeks....13 night one and I plan on dressing up every night for dinner.

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

I LIKE looking good! And, in formalwear, I do! Doesn't take any more time than any other night...slipping a gown over my head takes less time than pants/shirt...

It does take hubby a bit more time, but, hell...I'm worth that trouble!

I'm with you on that. I love getting dressed up. My Hubby just goes with the flow. He'll wear a nice suit and tie.

Mom and I would be happy if every night was formal night. In fact, we do dress up every night and always do pictures. I like wearing my gowns :)

We like going to the MDR every night anyway. And I have to shower before dinner no matter what I put on so it might as well be a cocktail dress. It takes the same amount of time/work as anything else I would wear.

We like to dress up in general though and look go reasons to do so even at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ehpride

We do dress up for formal night--me more than my husband. I usually wear a gown or cocktail dress, sometimes dressy pants and top. He used to wear his tux, then a suit, is now down to a blazer with shirt and tie.

For him, it is mostly about comfort. He has bad feet and just can't wear formal-style shoes at all. And, his tux and suit are very uncomfortable in the neck area. He looks fine in his navy blazer and fits in well enough.

I still like really dressing up, it's the only chance I get.

On our last RCI cruise I wore a black lace cocktail dress, and DH wore black dresspants, a black shirt with blue stripes, and a blue tie.

When we cruise on NCL we can stay with resort casual, because they switched to Dress up or Not Night.

Hate to say it, but if your DH is just wearing a tie with no shirt that is NOT formal. Throwing on a tie does not make an ensemble formal.

I am not criticizing, but I am not really sure what the point of a the shirt/tie with no jacket look is trying to accomplish. It is neither formal or casual.

I honestly think most of the mainstream cruises are just putting a label on one night so people have the option to dressing that one night, but there is no obligation to comply.

My other big complaint with "formal" night on mainstream lines is the majority of people think it only applies to the dinner hour and then after dinner they go back to their cabin and dress in casual clothes. If you are going to go chuck your clothes right after dinner, then don't even bother.