Booking Air Fare to/from Venice - July

mickeysgal

I will certainly start looking at connecting through other cities...JFK, AMS, etc

But isn't this what the search engines already do? Wouldn't I already have seen a better priced flight if for example, connecting through DFW had the lower fare?

Not necessarily. Which is why one of the advantages of ITA is that you can control many more search parameters. Go the "help" section and read up on the advanced routing codes. Though it may be daunting, it can give you LOTS more power in your searches.

Airlines, OTOH, have their systems optimized to give results that fit THEIR parameters. Their search logic is simplified, with greater weight given to returning non-stops and simple itineraries. They favor itineraries using their own "metal" rather than a partner carrier. They are not good at returning results that combine separate fares into one ticket. Often I have found a routing on ITA that combines two fares together for a result less than a through fare. The reservation computer doesn't "see" this, unless you force it using the multi-city option.

Is it worth the time and effort? Only you can decide.

OP: Did you inquire with Celebrity? I don't know how they would be for pricing if you are doing a Med cruise and flying to/from Italy, but last month we flew to Rome, arranged through Celebrity, got on the "Constellation" and came TA after hitting a few Med ports. Air through "X" was MUCH less $$$$$ than anything I could find.