Best Alaska Port Ideas w/Kids?

pdxsteeler

Am on the Celebrity Millennium on 8/5 from Vancouver to Seward. Traveling with a 3.5 yr. old boy and 1 yr old girl. Looking for ideas for activities at various ports that: a) Are interesting for the kids, or b) Able to do with the kids.

Thanks.

We rented a car in Juneau. Then did a stop at the playground project (it is fantastic! !) And then went to Mendenhall. It was a great day, my boys.loved walking to the Mendenhall falls. The car rental was close to the port and our total cost was $80 for the day.

Am on the Celebrity Millennium on 8/5 from Vancouver to Seward. Traveling with a 3.5 yr. old boy and 1 yr old girl. Looking for ideas for activities at various ports that: a) Are interesting for the kids, or b) Able to do with the kids.

Thanks.

You don't say your ports but it Ketchican we rode the bus out to the totem pole park and then walked around town. In Juneau we rented a private boat for whale watching - not sure if at their age anyone would allow that. In Skagway, there is the train. But we opted instead for a rental car and drove into the Yukon to the Carcross Desert, a sled dog place etc. I think a lot depends on your kids and if they are go with the flow - Alaska is a much older cruise and as a general rule the families on board have kids that are at least school age.

I would not do the train in Skagway. 1-1/2 hours each way, no entertainment but the scenery. the kids would be antsy in ten minutes (if not sooner) and want to run up and down the aisle. I would just take them into town and walk around, see the train up close, find some open space to run around. EM

We rented a car in Juneau. Then did a stop at the playground project (it is fantastic! !) And then went to Mendenhall. It was a great day, my boys.loved walking to the Mendenhall falls. The car rental was close to the port and our total cost was $80 for the day.

When you rented the car did they provide car seats or did you bring your own?

My first trip to Alaska was with small children. Mine were 2, 5, & 8. We were travelling with in-laws whose children were 9 months, 3.5, and 6.5 years. Honestly, the youngest 3 children really didn't get much out of any excursions. We did the train with all the children except my 8 year old, and they were happy only because they had each other to play with. They didn't pay attention to the scenery but thought it was fun to be on a train.

We took our three kids whale watching, only because my oldest was obsessed with whales at that age. He enjoyed it very much. The 5 year old thought it was fun to be on a boat, but didn't have the focus to wait and look for whales. The little one just wanted to be held all the time. Luckily we were on one of the big cruise-tour boats, and there was room for our 5 year old to move around. I wouldn't have wanted to be on a smaller boat with him cooped up. He was a very active child. :eek:

Renting a car in Skagway and Juneau may be your best choice, though you may have to call to see if car seats are available. That way, you can go at your own pace, find places for the kids to run around, and maybe even get a little nap in the car while you enjoy scenery. Ketchikan is very walkable. I think the city park is within walking distance, though you might want a carrier of some sort for the little one. If you can get out to Totem Bight, there's room to run around there too. I'm not sure I'd recommend the city bus, since it is a long ride with little kids.

Run a check with the car rental places - I believe they will provide them with your reservation for a fee. It is not worth bringing your own car seats - way too much to lug.

And the bus ride to totem was only like 20 minutes or so - not bad at all. And there is a huge beach and plenty of space to run around.

• 2 weeks later...