Which Excursions ?

gazman51

G'day

We are trying to decide on which shore excursions to take .

We will visit Ketchikan , Juneau and Skagway on a northbound voyage departing Vancouver on 25th May 2013

We will pass on the whale watching as we can do that at home

Not into white water rafting ect.

Not interested in shopping

I guess its also a risk booking ahead for trips that are likely to be affected by bad weather

What have you done that was great and would recommend , or which are best avoided ?

Garry

At Skagway we loved the White Pass Railroad. I know it's offered as a partial-day trip in port but we were on cruisetours so just took it to our next stop. To me, it's not to be missed if you enjoy the history of the Gold Rush and men's travels over those mountains. They've even left things along the trail that you can see from the train.

Another time in Skagway we did the helicopter tour and landed on a glacier and walked around. Loved that, also, and it got me hooked on helicopter tours. (Before had been scared to death of them)

In Skagway we have done the Yukon/White Pass train -- beautiful scenery.

In Juneau we have taken the Blue Bus -- this past summer it was $8 per person each way -- to go out to Mendenhal Glacier -- you can walk the trails there. Go to a store in Juneau and pick up some snacks to take with you.

In Ketchikan -- walk Creek Street -- end of May is too early to view the salmon. Also there are buses to go out to Saxmon Village and Totem Bight.

What are your interests? You gave a short list of what you don't want- how about what you do? There are still hundreds of tours to select. Have you determined your budget?

You want wildlife, flying, history, culture???

In Juneau we have taken the Blue Bus -- this past summer it was $8 per person each way -- to go out to Mendenhal Glacier -- you can walk the trails there. Go to a store in Juneau and pick up some snacks to take with you.

Unless things have changed recently, you are NOT supposed to bring any food to Mendenhall Glacier due to the bears.

We did the Mountaintop flightseeing and crab feast at George Inlet. It wasn't a bad excursion, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The flight is only about 20 minutes. It's beautiful, but we would have enjoyed a much longer flight.

The crab feed was good and all-you-can eat, but DH said it wasn't anything special that we couldn't get back home (I don't like crab, so chose chicken lol). Although I should clarify, we live near San Francisco and Monterey and can get fresh sea food any time. We felt the crab feed wasn't worth burning our time in Ketchikan for.

We also felt herded through like cattle. It was a beautiful sunny day and we would have liked to have had some time to snap some pics. The employees seemed annoyed when we lingered a few minutes.

The room they serve the food in is very small and cramped. It was one large table that seated ~ 20 people, and it was so tight there was barely room to squeeze by people already seated or pull out your own chair and squeeze in. I'm average height and weight too, so I imagine larger people would really have found tight quarters.

And because it was one long table in tight quarters, only half the people were facing the window where they could look out. The rest of us faced a wall with no window. It was a lot of money to sit facing a wall. The photos on their website show a nice big dining area with big windows where everyone could look out at the scenery. We didn't see anything like that.

Last, we thought after the meal we would have time to relax on the porch with a glass of wine or beer and enjoy the scenery. Nope. As soon as you're done eating, they herd you right up to the bus and send you back to the ship.

IMO, the ship isn't in port long enough for this excursion to really be enjoyable and the dining room was awful. You'll enjoy this excursion IF you only care about eating crab like pigs at a trough, and don't care about the rest of it.

In Skagway we have done the Yukon/White Pass train -- beautiful scenery.

In Ketchikan -- walk Creek Street -- end of May is too early to view the salmon. Also there are buses to go out to Saxmon Village and Totem Bight.

The bus driver had everyone leave their snacks on the bus. As we walked off, there were lots of seats filled with food lol No food allowed at Mendenhall Glacier so the bears don't associate people with food.

G'day

Thanks for information so far

I listed things we did not want and left what else to do open as it is just that

All other things considered

budget hard to say , limited but not decided yet ,

maybe we will lash out and do an expensive one in one port and just walk around in others

or maybe cheaper tours in all ports

still collecting ideas

Garry

As I recall, "Mendenhall Ranger" has posted here many times, stressing that you should not bring food to the glacier so that bears do not associate food w/people. And of course, that makes perfect sense. Eat before or after your visit to Mendenhall, and enjoy the glorious glacier!:D

I agree with this.

Keith

Archived