French Polynesia local entertainment on board on Sirena?

bisabella

I read some old posts that said that local dancers and entertainment were brought on board on French Polynesia cruises, particularly in Raiatea. I will be on Sirena on the 5/9/17 cruise leaving out of Tahiti and wonder if such entertainment will be brought on board.

from out last cruise in Jan, no. It appears that the last time they did this the performers all got drunk.... so they cut it out. This is not a big entertainment region and you should expect that

Did you go to see any local entertainment / dancers on any of the islands?

Did you go to see any local entertainment / dancers on any of the islands?

No...there isnt any....this is not what is available not "local shows" We stayed at a up scale resort on Moorea after the cruise and entertainment was a 20 min canned music with 3 dancers and pretty boring,,, even canned drum music.....this is not vegas.... you bring you entertainment.

No...there isnt any....this is not what is available not "local shows" We stayed at a up scale resort on Moorea after the cruise and entertainment was a 20 min canned music with 3 dancers and pretty boring,,, even canned drum music.....this is not vegas.... you bring you entertainment.

Guess it depends on where you stay. And when. A few years ago we were at the Inter. Cont. on Moorea and saw a most wonderful dinner show. Had to be at least 25 or 30 performers and they were very good. Must have been about 45 min.

Edited by RJB
spelling

Marina Spring 2016 - we had a very entertaining local group come on board at one early port but I don't remember which one. They did a lengthy cultural show with performers ranging in age from little kids to senior citizens. They also had comedic moments teaching passengers how to wear the native garb called a paria, not sure how to spell it.

A tropical dance group performed dockside in Raiatea.

If you have a pre or post cruise stay all the resorts have Tahitian dinner shows. We attended the show at the Intercontinental Moorea and it was fabulous. Lots of fire dancing, drumming, great instrumentation, dancing.

I guess I was hoping to see something like the show that is put on at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu, which I saw several years ago and also a long time ago when we visited Hawaii. It was then that I put the Polynesian Islands on my bucket list. I am finally going and am so excited!

Barbara

Marina Spring 2016 - we had a very entertaining local group come on board at one early port but I don't remember which one. They did a lengthy cultural show with performers ranging in age from little kids to senior citizens. They also had comedic moments teaching passengers how to wear the native garb called a paria, not sure how to spell it.

A tropical dance group performed dockside in Raiatea.

If you have a pre or post cruise stay all the resorts have Tahitian dinner shows. We attended the show at the Intercontinental Moorea and it was fabulous. Lots of fire dancing, drumming, great instrumentation, dancing.

As I said before we saw the same show and it was great. Good food, good drink and good dancing. Would to go again. :):)

I guess I was hoping to see something like the show that is put on at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu, which I saw several years ago and also a long time ago when we visited Hawaii. It was then that I put the Polynesian Islands on my bucket list. I am finally going and am so excited!

Barbara

Be excited, read up, learn and come with anticipation. My experience was Jan 2017 and I was told things have changed... Dont expect anything like Hawaii . Hawaii is a well oiled tourist industry...THE LUAU AND ALL SORTS OF oof major resorts having dozens of shows and dinners... ( most having nothing to do with Hawaii or hawaiian culture) In Polynesia very few resorts and none large. Bora Bora the huge center for $$$$ tours and hotels has seen 3 of their hotels /resorts go bankrupt... There may be little pier side music and several dancers in Nuka Hiva, Bora, Raitea, Fakarava, but they are not shows per se just folks beating on drums and a few dancers.... NOTHING like the Polynesian center ( which is a polynesian disneyland) Your going to a remote area of the world for its beauty and landscape.. Some tours may have a little dance and music but nothing on your past experience. You will have a good time IF you dont expect a French Hawaii..... its way way less... its like Hawaii was in the 50's earily 60's

Be excited, read up, learn and come with anticipation. My experience was Jan 2017 and I was told things have changed... Dont expect anything like Hawaii . Hawaii is a well oiled tourist industry...THE LUAU AND ALL SORTS OF oof major resorts having dozens of shows and dinners... ( most having nothing to do with Hawaii or hawaiian culture) In Polynesia very few resorts and none large. Bora Bora the huge center for $$$$ tours and hotels has seen 3 of their hotels /resorts go bankrupt... There may be little pier side music and several dancers in Nuka Hiva, Bora, Raitea, Fakarava, but they are not shows per se just folks beating on drums and a few dancers.... NOTHING like the Polynesian center ( which is a polynesian disneyland) Your going to a remote area of the world for its beauty and landscape.. Some tours may have a little dance and music but nothing on your past experience. You will have a good time IF you dont expect a French Hawaii..... its way way less... its like Hawaii was in the 50's earily 60's

Thank you Hawaiidan for your comments. I am sure I will LOVE all of the islands and whatever dances / music is provided. I loves Hawaii and the Polynesian Cultural Center and I did see quite a change from the first time I visited in the 1970s to the last time in 2007.

The best show is on Tahiti at the Intercontinental, but it's an evening show so unless you start your cruise in Pappiete no luck.

When we disembark our cruise, we will be in Tahiti all day on Friday, 5/19/17 and I believe they have a show on Friday nights - but we will need to be at the airport by 8 PM, so I guess we will not be able to see the show.

When we disembark our cruise, we will be in Tahiti all day on Friday, 5/19/17 and I believe they have a show on Friday nights - but we will need to be at the airport by 8 PM, so I guess we will not be able to see the show.

If your on the Sienea or a R ship they just dont have the facilities to host pageant shows... I have seen the intercontinental shows and a few others. Your experience in Hawaii was far far better..

If you never saw a Tongan, Fijian, Cook Tahitian dance music show then it would be super great.

There are other shows in Tahiti, but not on stage..

. in Nuka Hiva at the pier, watch the fisherman sorting their catch and feeding the sharks, Hit a grocery store and take in all the strange smells and products, walk through a village neighborhood smelling the mix of charcoal and flowers. Take shelter from a downpour under a monkeypod tree...... The whole place, all islands are a show....you just have to be wise enough to take it in....... Have a good trip.....have a good life