Possible travel with 1 year old!!

cruzin Phillis

Pregnant now but our cruise to Hawaii on the POA is only 17 short months away!!! I wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with traveling with kids, preferably a 1 year old? That is how old he will be by the time of our cruise. DH and I are traveling from Tx area. We are looking at driving on most of the islands except Kona. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

We cruised for a week in the Caribbean with our great niece who had just turned one and it was great. They are easy to please at that age, the crew loves having the babies on board, and she could enjoy most activities with us. We got some very good suggestions on the family board here on CC, including purchasing a size appropriate life vest from a marine supply store which she wore when we were on smaller boats or in the water. Because children in diapers are not allowed in the pools we brought a small blow up pool to put on our balcony that she could play in. We had two very large aft balconies and it was very easy to do. We knew that if we were in a dining room and she got fussy one of us would take her out so as not to disturb other guests. This never happened because there was so much going on to keep her entertained. Check out the Family Board on CC. Have a great time!!!! Cherie

We cruised for a week in the Caribbean with our great niece who had just turned one and it was great. They are easy to please at that age, the crew loves having the babies on board, and she could enjoy most activities with us. We got some very good suggestions on the family board here on CC, including purchasing a size appropriate life vest from a marine supply store which she wore when we were on smaller boats or in the water. Because children in diapers are not allowed in the pools we brought a small blow up pool to put on our balcony that she could play in. We had two very large aft balconies and it was very easy to do. We knew that if we were in a dining room and she got fussy one of us would take her out so as not to disturb other guests. This never happened because there was so much going on to keep her entertained. Check out the Family Board on CC. Have a great time!!!! Cherie

Thanks so much for the advice. It seems that most of the activities that I am looking at will not be hard on a one year old. Just a little concern with traveling since I have never travel with a baby before.

You might want to scroll down on the main thread page and find "Family Cruising". There will be lots of info there, I'm sure.

You are going to have quite a flight from Tx. Babies sometimes have quite a time adjusting to the change in elevation required for flights. Be sure to have something for them to suck on (pacifier, bottle, etc) to help alleviate the pain from the pressure. You might also want to have some kind of remedy for your own headache if the baby does indeed scream the whole way to Hawaii or back.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. It seems that most of the activities that I am looking at will not be hard on a one year old. Just a little concern with traveling since I have never travel with a baby before.

We traveled to Hawaii from Dallas and Wichita, Ks with our children at 8-12 months. Sometimes I felt like a human jungle gym and other times they napped. Our pediatrician said "There is always a reason for Tylenol or Benedryl." We always had meds with us in case we needed them but your baby will have your undivided attention during the flights and they love that. Make sure you bring some things on the plane to entertain him or her. One of the things that a flight attendant did for one of ours who was having difficulty with the landing was to heat a wet washcloth in the microwave, put it in a plastic cup and cup it over the ear. The warmth and moisture helped relieve the pressure. And one time a flight attendant rubbed some cognac on the gums when they were teething. I think part of traveling with young ones is being relaxed yourself. You don't want to make others miserable but MOST people are understanding if there is a bit of crying. We were recently on a flight from Zurich to L.A. with several babies onboard, and they were great, the parents seemed to also take turns walking with them up and down the isles. You're going to have a great time. Cherie

We traveled to Hawaii from Dallas and Wichita, Ks with our children at 8-12 months. Sometimes I felt like a human jungle gym and other times they napped. Our pediatrician said "There is always a reason for Tylenol or Benedryl." We always had meds with us in case we needed them but your baby will have your undivided attention during the flights and they love that. Make sure you bring some things on the plane to entertain him or her. One of the things that a flight attendant did for one of ours who was having difficulty with the landing was to heat a wet washcloth in the microwave, put it in a plastic cup and cup it over the ear. The warmth and moisture helped relieve the pressure. And one time a flight attendant rubbed some cognac on the gums when they were teething. I think part of traveling with young ones is being relaxed yourself. You don't want to make others miserable but MOST people are understanding if there is a bit of crying. We were recently on a flight from Zurich to L.A. with several babies onboard, and they were great, the parents seemed to also take turns walking with them up and down the isles. You're going to have a great time. Cherie

Thank you, especially for that landing advice. I will store that one with me!!!

Archived