Quantum, Cape Liberty update

We are just off Explorer of the Seas (March 11) and Captain Henrik announced at the Captains Corner that the two Quantum captains are Swedish, one name starting with Patrick, coudn't quite get the rest. One of them has been assigned to the Quantum for the last year and a half. He also pretty much indicated no hope for a new Cape Liberty facility the inaugural NJ sailings, partly because of delays caused by new restrictions on buidling put in place as a result of Hurricane Sandy. He did say the new facility will include five story indoor parking and the ability to go right onto the ship. He said it will be great once it's complete. Can't wait to get rid of the shuttle! For those who know him, he is headed to the Independence when his contract with Explorer is up.

Thanks for update. I am on the Dec 12 sailing and was excited about the port. The Shuttle bus is annoying. I have only sailed from there once with the explorer of the seas. It came back late so we didn't board until 4:00 and everybody was crammed into the little waiting area for hours with no food, drink and limited bathrooms and chairs. I am hoping not to repeat that disaster and was looking forward to the new facilities. How behind are they??

I sailed on the Explorer in July of 2013. I had the opportunity to speak with the Cape Liberty director of port operations. He said that the improvements were progressing but that they were working through the "politics" at that time. Anyone familiar with "politics" knows what that means. I am sure that it will get done but when, who knows?:confused:

I can't stand those shuttles either. Don't understand why they won't let us just walk to the ship. Have the shuttles for those that do need it.

It is an active marine pier. Lots of industrial activity going on. Unsafe. Liability issues.

We are just off Explorer of the Seas (March 11) and Captain Henrik announced at the Captains Corner that the two Quantum captains are Swedish, one name starting with Patrick, coudn't quite get the rest. One of them has been assigned to the Quantum for the last year and a half. He also pretty much indicated no hope for a new Cape Liberty facility the inaugural NJ sailings, partly because of delays caused by new restrictions on buidling put in place as a result of Hurricane Sandy. He did say the new facility will include five story indoor parking and the ability to go right onto the ship. He said it will be great once it's complete. Can't wait to get rid of the shuttle! For those who know him, he is headed to the Independence when his contract with Explorer is up.

The rotating Captains will be:

Quantum OTS - Capt Patrick Dahlgren

Quantum OTS - Capt Gus Andersson

Great update. I will post this to our FB Quantum group page. Bummer about the port not expected to be ready in time for Quantum's inaugural in November. I'm on the New Years sailing so hopefully by then the construction will be completed.

Well at least the new terminal at PC should be ready when Quantum makes her first visit!

Trail46, Thanks for the update. Captain Henrik confirmed my gut feeling. I was there (Cape Liberty) this past Sunday, you can't really tell what is going on. It changed from our last visit in November, as there was asphalt broken up within a fenced area and there is a construction trailer. But, it is all meaningless. It isn't like there is signage, "Coming Soon" or any other indication really. Thanks again for the update! :)

We are considering the 12/1 sailing and we told we would be boarding on deck 9! Just trying to figure out how steep the gangway at Bayonne will be! One of my little group heard that and said no way will she be able to make up the gangway!

The shuttle has been a thorn in my side since we first sailed out of Bayonne with Celebrity. In 2012, we did 2 sailings on the Explorer and the worst part was the shuttle. We were held in the terminal with many unhappy passengers. The one person who was somewhat in charge of calling the numbers for the shuttle was so overwhelmed and in such a bad temper he was yelling at everyone something to the effect...if you didn't hear me call your range of numbers, do not get on the shuttle line. Because if you do, I will just turn you away.

I am at the diamond level now so I get a quicker check in but when it comes to the shuttle, everyone is treated the same.

MARAPRINCE

We are considering the 12/1 sailing and we told we would be boarding on deck 9! Just trying to figure out how steep the gangway at Bayonne will be! One of my little group heard that and said no way will she be able to make up the gangway!

The shuttle has been a thorn in my side since we first sailed out of Bayonne with Celebrity. In 2012, we did 2 sailings on the Explorer and the worst part was the shuttle. We were held in the terminal with many unhappy passengers. The one person who was somewhat in charge of calling the numbers for the shuttle was so overwhelmed and in such a bad temper he was yelling at everyone something to the effect...if you didn't hear me call your range of numbers, do not get on the shuttle line. Because if you do, I will just turn you away.

I am at the diamond level now so I get a quicker check in but when it comes to the shuttle, everyone is treated the same.

MARAPRINCE

Wheel chair assistance should be available.

Trail46, Thanks for the update. Captain Henrik confirmed my gut feeling. I was there (Cape Liberty) this past Sunday, you can't really tell what is going on. It changed from our last visit in November, as there was asphalt broken up within a fenced area and there is a construction trailer. But, it is all meaningless. It isn't like there is signage, "Coming Soon" or any other indication really. Thanks again for the update! :)

If there was a "More to Come" sign, I would get excited! We are heading down there in May to see Lady Liberty. It will be a treat to see the progress.

Thanks for the reply.

for the others, any ship departing from Bayonne without a proper terminal, will board at deck 1. Most terminals with gangways, load on deck 5 , or whatever deck the outside promenade is located , and the terminal will have facilities to get you up there, elevators, escalators, whatever.

whoops, don't forget the ramps.

Edited by mo&fran

Thank you for the update! We are going to be on the Explorer of the Seas in April 19 of this year. I do agree that getting rid of the shuttle will reduce hassle and pressure under the passengers. Do you know when the Captain will be going to the Independence and will he be there during my sailing? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

Never used Port Liberty before, will be driving in that morning. Any tips? Do you have to reserve / pre-pay , or how does it work?

Thanks,

John

Here's the website with the info you need. It is easy to park there, but you do have to take a shuttle to board the ship.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/index.htm