Pre-Paid Service Charges - New Option?

Scott2.0

I really hope this doesn't turn into a flame-war, but since when are the pre-paid service charges optional? When completing my online check-in, I was given the option to add them or not. Is that new? Does it seem odd? I just assumed that they would automatically appear on my onboard account.

k3rqj8.jpg

Edited by Scott2.0

I pre-paid them on my cruise on the Pearl over two years ago. Just easy for me to get it out of the way and then if someone goes over and above for me, I can just give them additional. Plus it makes my final statement lower LOL!

You can do it either way (pre-pay or have it show up on your statement), they are just giving you the option to pre-pay it, not forcing you.

Duh, sorry. I was thinking that they were giving me the option of whether to pay the service charge or not; not simply to pre-pay it. I don't know how I confused that. Sorry!

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

If the prepay option is available in My NCL depends on the method of booking (i.e. NCL, travel agent, etc), that's my educated guess/experience.

For the record; if you call NCL you can always add prepaid DSC, UBP and/or UDP right?

You can still book them on MY NCL if you're using a travel agent. It's no different than booking shore excursions.

The optional (at the point you are asking about) is the option to pay them ahead of time or not. If you do not choose this option they will be added to your account. In addition to this, there is a WIDE range of opinions as to whether you can/can't or should/shouldn't adjust the charge in any gievn amount in either direction.

The optional (at the point you are asking about) is the option to pay them ahead of time or not. If you do not choose this option they will be added to your account. In addition to this, there is a WIDE range of opinions as to whether you can/can't or should/shouldn't adjust the charge in any gievn amount in either direction.

I understand that now. I misunderstood 'prepaid'. I wasn't asking about removing or adjusting them.

Kind of. You have always had the option to adjust your discretionary service charge. Just have to do it on the ship.

Incorrect. In UK if you pre-pay the Service Charge (the default) you have to deal with NCL UK afterwards if you want to remove them (according to the T&Cs). I have never done so and would not encourage others to do so unless there was a major problem that was not fixed.

Edited by SteveH2508

While we are on the subject of tipping. I already did the pre-paid option for my upcoming Alaska inside cabin cruise. What would be a suggested additional amount to tip the person that cleans and takes care of our room? He (or she) probably deserves a little more than his cut of $12/day/person.

While we are on the subject of tipping. I already did the pre-paid option for my upcoming Alaska inside cabin cruise. What would be a suggested additional amount to tip the person that cleans and takes care of our room? He (or she) probably deserves a little more than his cut of $12/day/person.

We always give our cabin steward an envelope with $20-30 dollars in it when we leave depending on how the service was. Also give the room service folks a couple of bucks when they deliver.

We always give our cabin steward an envelope with $20-30 dollars in it when we leave depending on how the service was. Also give the room service folks a couple of bucks when they deliver.

Thank you. How much of a tip do I owe for the tip on tips?

We've always paid in advance when we book in the UK and it's never been called discretionary.

Been on an NCL ship lately? They certainly call it discretionary in the documentation you receive while on the ship.

Been on four NCL cruises in the last two months. Paperwork I received in the cabin on each cruise called the service charge discretionary.