Dream out of New Orleans! Help!

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

Need some help/advice. I looked on the New Orleans port forum but it's very inactive. I am a single Dad traveling with a 3 year old in January going on Dream out of New Orleans. We are flying in the day before the cruise and flying out the day after the cruise.

I will be taking one suitcase, a stroller and I wanted to leave his car seat at home as I only have two hands. I'm not crazy about riding in a taxi without a carseat and have heard only horrible stories about the shuttle services. What would you all do?

Thanks..

I think I would just force myself to suck it up and take the cab without a car seat. And I don't mean that offensively - I'd be just as conflicted as you are if I were in your shoes. But I think you being just a little bit stressed for a short cab ride is a reasonable trade off for not having to lug around a car seat.

Were the shuttle stories really that bad? I haven't had an opportunity to use them just yet but I don't recall any horror stories.

I think I would just force myself to suck it up and take the cab without a car seat. And I don't mean that offensively - I'd be just as conflicted as you are if I were in your shoes. But I think you being just a little bit stressed for a short cab ride is a reasonable trade off for not having to lug around a car seat.

Were the shuttle stories really that bad? I haven't had an opportunity to use them just yet but I don't recall any horror stories.

Personnally, I would just "suck it up" and carry the car seat with me. I don't mean that offensively, but the safety of my child out weighs the inconvenience. Heck, I wouldn't even be conflicted on this decision......

Hi All,

Need some help/advice. I looked on the New Orleans port forum but it's very inactive. I am a single Dad traveling with a 3 year old in January going on Dream out of New Orleans. We are flying in the day before the cruise and flying out the day after the cruise.

I will be taking one suitcase, a stroller and I wanted to leave his car seat at home as I only have two hands. I'm not crazy about riding in a taxi without a carseat and have heard only horrible stories about the shuttle services. What would you all do?

Thanks..

I have used towncar services in the past for airport to port transfers, and they offered a car seat upon advance notice (no extra charge). It might cost you a little more for towncar service vs. taxi service, but it would be worth the convenience IMO.

Hope you have a good time with your son.

Edited by winddawn

I would take the carseat and the stroller and as much luggage as you think you'll need. Just bring lots of tip money for porters. There are porters at every airport in the world who will help haul your belonging to your taxi.

I would check the bag, gate check the stroller and have my 3 year in a carseat on the airplane. When you get to the port check the carseat as a piece of luggage, again tipping the porter. When you return just reverse the process.

Get this car seat that converts to a stroller. We travel a lot, and that thing was AWESOME when our son was smaller (and then we used it for our daughter as well). We brought it on two cruises and it fit perfectly in the cabin's closet. We used it for years, not only to cruise, but also to fly.

With that said, do keep in mind that many ports of call won't even have seat belts or anchors in their taxis, so that may defeat the purpose of bringing a car seat. This is the main reason why we now plan our activities ashore close to the port or using alternative methods of transportation (water taxis, etc) so that we won't need to ride taxis.

I frequently take my kids on trips to see the grandparents without my wife, and pushing a stroller with one kid, while holding the hand of the older one, and ALL of our belongings in one large backpack on my back is the way that I manage to take them through the airport. :)

41Tyc9FKfJL.jpg

Edited by Tapi

How is this a discussion?? Humm my child's well being or my comfort? Really people? Are we really willing to gamble with a child's life because the odds are nothing will happen? Leave the suitcase and wear your same underwear if you can't carry everything! Or call a private car service that will supply a car seat! Honestly... Sorry for the rant but I don't gamble children's life (has the whole world gone mad?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the unknown of the size and weight of your child its hard to say but he could use a booster seat, the super cheep 20 dollar ones are light and easy to transport. For 20 bucks you could leave it in the cab at the end of the trip and it gives you some security for the short ride.