TSA Pre at Vancouver Air Port

CHEZMARYLOU

I tried a search with no results. Does the Vancouver Air Port offer TSA pre security lines? I know they have Global Entry but not sure about pre. If not, does United offer a separate line for first/business class flights? We are flying to the US and know we go through US customs/immigration at the airport.

Pre clearence will be done by ICE, not TSA. TSA is a US security agency. As Vancouver is in Canada, Canada will handle security.

There have been a couple of discussions about the security procedures, particularly if you have GE, like this thread from just down the board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2515464

Pre clearence will be done by ICE, not TSA. TSA is a US security agency. As Vancouver is in Canada, Canada will handle security.

There have been a couple of discussions about the security procedures, particularly if you have GE, like this thread from just down the board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2515464

Actually pre-clearance, as well as standard clearance done in US airports (or cruise ports) when arriving from a foreign country that doesn't offer pre-clearance, is done by CBP, not ICE. ICE is the criminal enforcement arm of DHS, responsible for deporting illegal immigrants, seizing smuggled merchandise, etc. Standard processing of individuals and their belongings when entering the US by air, sea, or land is CBP's job.

Here's ICE's overview of their responsibilities:

https://www.ice.gov/overview

Edited by njhorseman

The process for clearing immigration and security at YVR for USA-bound flights is straightforward, but can be very, very busy (especially first thing in the morning). You'll clear security, but this is not TSA and thus you don't have any TSA pre-check capabilities. HOWEVER, the times I have gone through it, there has been a special line for people with NEXUS/Global Entry...even for security. Then they route you in to the actual CBP immigration and customs (one stop for both), again split between "regular" and those with Global Entry/NEXUS.

Then it spits you out through sliding doors in to shops, restaurants, and gates.

Just did this Monday. Make sure you have your Global Entry card with you. The man in line behind us said he was GE and but without the card they would not let him proceed. We breezed through the line in less than five minutes while the regular line had over a hundred people in it. Then we went to the GE machines just like in the US, printed out our slip of paper, handed it to the Customs agent who said "welcome home" and then to a short "pre-check like" line where we did not have to remove the usual clothing. BTW, our boarding passes did have "TSA Pre-check" printed on them. ((We were flying YVR-PHX on American).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually pre-clearance, as well as standard clearance done in US airports (or cruise ports) when arriving from a foreign country that doesn't offer pre-clearance, is done by CBP, not ICE. ICE is the criminal enforcement arm of DHS, responsible for deporting illegal immigrants, seizing smuggled merchandise, etc. Standard processing of individuals and their belongings when entering the US by air, sea, or land is CBP's job.

Here's ICE's overview of their responsibilities:

https://www.ice.gov/overview

You are correct. Substitute CBP for ICE in my post. However, it doesn't change the point...Pre is done by TSA in the US. Canada will handle their own security before boarding a flight.

BTW, our boarding passes did have "TSA Pre-check" printed on them. ((We were flying YVR-PHX on American).

The AA system will print TSA Pre-Check for anyone who is eligible, at any airport regardless of whether or not there is a Pre-Check line. I've had it for AA flights ex-LHR. No Pre-Check there either.

Please note I said "pre check LIKE" line. Short line through dedicated security lane and procedures similar to that as used by actual Pre-Check lanes in the states with minimize removal of clothing and items from carry on. But again, I warn people who think it is sufficient just to have your GE number in the system associated with your ticket -- if you can't show the actual card they will not let you in the line.

Please note I said "pre check LIKE" line. Short line through dedicated security lane and procedures similar to that as used by actual Pre-Check lanes in the states with minimize removal of clothing and items from carry on. But again, I warn people who think it is sufficient just to have your GE number in the system associated with your ticket -- if you can't show the actual card they will not let you in the line.

This was our experience as well.

Keith

Hence why I have NEXUS. It also includes GlobalEntry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

UPNGuy,

What I and others have found is that is is not enough just "to have GE or Nexus" for this to work in Vancouver when returning to the US. When returning to the US from other countries at the US port of entry it has never been necessary (in my experience) to have the actual card in hand. I am just trying to make sure that other travelers do not run into the situation the guy behind us in line (who was unable to enter the GE lane) ran into because he did not have the card in his possession even though he said he had GE.

UPNGuy,

What I and others have found is that is is not enough just "to have GE or Nexus" for this to work in Vancouver when returning to the US. When returning to the US from other countries at the US port of entry it has never been necessary (in my experience) to have the actual card in hand. I am just trying to make sure that other travelers do not run into the situation the guy behind us in line (who was unable to enter the GE lane) ran into because he did not have the card in his possession even though he said he had GE.

Hence why I always have my NEXUS card in my hand, as I use at as my ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums