Some ramblings on the subject of cameras and photography

pierces

In a moment of reflection following an hour of tingly excitement while watching the press event announcing the new Sony A9 camera, I asked myself a few questions. (I know talking to oneself is a sign of other things, but let's stick to the point). Following is a paraphrased record of my internal Q&A:

Dave) Would a new camera help me become a better photographer?

Inner Dave) Probably not. Virtually all cameras above the $500 threshold will produce excellent images if used properly. The extra $200 to $7000 (plus an indeterminate but possibly large amount for lenses) will get you some more resolution, features, durability or envy in the eyes of those who really don't know much about cameras. The only possible bump would come from increased usage triggered by needing to "get my money's worth".

Dave) Would the money I have available for equipment be better spent on finding interesting places to shoot?

Inner Dave) Probably. I live in a fairly quiet suburb with wildlife limited to dull brown birds, feral cats, feral bunnies and the occasional squirrel. We have a few local attractions like Disneyland and zoos that offer impressive photo ops, but I have been to all of them and burned through enough film and disk space shooting them over the years. We are also surrounded by mountains that I'm struggling to remember why I don't shoot more often. Travel to far places and its associated separation from "real life" not only relieves the stresses of workaday life (not much of an issue with me) but it will prompt me to shoot more and try to record the interesting things we see in an interesting way.

Dave) Do I need a new camera?

Inner Dave) No! (Inner Dave is brutally honest!)

Dave) Why not? I really, really want one!

Inner Dave) Because I already have a couple or three excellent cameras, a nice selection of lenses and a phone that outshoots most pre-2010 cameras. I may even sell off my A77 and A-mount lenses since I haven't touched them in over a year, despite shooting three cruises and four weddings. Besides, spending a few thousand dollars on camera equipment that I have determined I don't need is a sure way to derail home improvement projects and induce unwanted marital strife.

Dave) Am I the photographer I want to be?

Inner Dave) No!

Dave) Why not?

Inner Dave) Because while I'm happy with the pictures I take, I know enough about photography and am honest enough to admit that I could do better. Oh, I'm also not famous and rich! (I told you Inner Dave was honest!)

Dave) What will make me a better photographer?

Inner Dave) I am entering my fifth decade as a photographer (I started young, ok?) and have come a long way since I first dug my Dad's old Brownie Hawkeye out of the closet and begged my mother for money to buy film for it. Over the years I have gone through peaks and valleys of using my various cameras and while some of the peaks were inspired my a new camera, most of them (especially since digital) were because I found I'm generally happier with life when I shoot a lot. Maybe I'm happier during the peaks because I take the time to shoot a lot? A mix of the two? (This introspection stuff is full of possible side paths.) Anyway, I also found that the peaks usually left me with new knowledge and a shiny new polish on the basic skills which led to a higher percentage of "keepers" and a few oh-wow-let's-print-that shots. So. When I shoot more, I get better as a photographer and feel good about doing it. I guess it all boils down to paying attention to one of the first sayings I remember and the one that has proven to be true again and again: "Practice makes perfect."

Inner Dave is really smart. I should listen and take his advice more often than I do.

Listen to us. Go out and use that camera. Take pictures, study them, enjoy them and then go take more and better pictures. And please, feel free to share your thoughts!

Happy shooting!

Dave

P.S This reminded me of an old rhyme that that is surely considered non-PC these days, but it made me smile anyway.

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

I'm schizophrenic,

And we are too!

Maybe Inner Dave could buy the expensive camera for Dave, then all three of you will happy :evilsmile:

Dickie

If Inner Dave had access to anything but virtual funds, I would have been divorced and destitute years ago. He has good advice but little self-control...

;)

Dave

Dave, I feel your pain.... we all want the latest and greatest.. but the stuff that I have can exceed my skill level any day... find something new that excites you... ill get a lot of hate, but the new dji mavic has just done that for me... tony

Dave,

Many guys or gals go and buy really expensive and exotic cars, boats and airplane... I just got off a flight to London on BA and 1st Class was FULL. The difference in a better seat for a 6 hour flight could buy an D5 or a suite on a cruise for a week. It not about needs it's always about wants...

Don't listen to inner Dave, if you want it buy it and enjoy it and send the wife special flowers.

framer

Dave,

Many guys or gals go and buy really expensive and exotic cars, boats and airplane... I just got off a flight to London on BA and 1st Class was FULL. The difference in a better seat for a 6 hour flight could buy an D5 or a suite on a cruise for a week. It not about needs it's always about wants...

Don't listen to inner Dave, if you want it buy it and enjoy it and send the wife special flowers.

framer

That is actually a good point...one I try to make at every opportunity! When we go somewhere and there's a club car show in the parking lot, I'll usually take the time to wander over and when I do, I always make it a point to ask the owners what they have invested in their hobby...within earshot of the Wonderful Wife of course. ;)

You can buy a lot of camera stuff with the $25k some of these guys spend on a motor for their street rods!

And you're right about the want vs. need battle, want always seems to bring a gun to that knife fight!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to the inner Dave, he is a pretty bright guy. I spent 47 years making pictures for a living and used all kinds of cameras and spent all kinds of money trying to keep up at times...Here are some realities that I learned over that time. It is much more about the photographer than the camera, there is nothing new to make pictures of but there is lots of room for improvement of those pictures, I have yet to make my best picture, man plans and God laughs ( all the way to The Great Wall of China with lots of visions and ideas only to find rain and fog and visability of about 100 yards) and finally, learn something new every day. Yes, today's modern gear makes it easier to make good pictures but it takes a real effort by a photographer to make great pictures. it is a whole lot more than pushing a button and letting the computers do the work for you.

How true, I'm always looking at new cameras & lens. I don't need but want new. I don't think I'll take better pictures if I do. Right now I have a D-80 & one lens, 18 - 200. I have about 30,000+ pictures on my computer. It's served me well & unless I win the Lotto it'll have to do for now.

Allan

Hmmm...I'm starting to think that inner Justin actually killed off Justin and took his place a few years ago, and I hadn't realized it. But since you bring it up, I realized that inner Justin has gotten everything he's wanted lately and outer Justin hasn't argued or countered any thoughts or decisions. The only question I have is whether inner Justin wants the A9. I already know he wants the 100-400mm...which I'm sure he'll get.

Thanks for brightening my day guys! Inner Vic looked at the A9 and told me to go buy a lottery ticket. She's still trying to convince me I need the 6500.

On the other hand, if your inner self does talk you into one of those and you want to sell said 6500 (or even 6300) let me know! :D

Vic

• 1 month later...
Dave, I feel your pain.... we all want the latest and greatest.. but the stuff that I have can exceed my skill level any day... find something new that excites you... ill get a lot of hate, but the new dji mavic has just done that for me... tony

I like Inner Dave. I have an Inner Brian with whom I frequently consult. We usually compromise on upgrades, my last one being replacing my detested Nikon D3000 with an older Nikon D300 for $195.00. I then sold my D3000 to a co-worker who just wanted to start into photography, for $75.00. So...Inner Brian was happy getting an older but still very capable backup camera body for what amounted to $120.00.

Thanks for brightening my day guys! Inner Vic looked at the A9 and told me to go buy a lottery ticket. She's still trying to convince me I need the 6500.

On the other hand, if your inner self does talk you into one of those and you want to sell said 6500 (or even 6300) let me know! :D

Vic

My SO is also a photographer and she knew I hated my Nikon D3000 so she was okay with my latest purchase:D