Our Alaska adventure on the Norwegian Sun, June 5-12

Mitch2016

Day 4 - Juneau (June 8, 2017)

We took the shuttle to downtown area and did the Mt. Roberts tram.....met Lady Baltimore, saw some great views and walked around a little. We used the free WiFi at the top to touch base with family back home etc....then we went to Wings Airways to check in for our Taku Lodge Flightseeing Trip.

enhance

enhance

Mount Roberts Tram....our tram operator was a Tlingit native and he was fantastic.... thoroughly enjoyed our ride to the top. We waited around up top so he could take us back to the base.

enhance

Nice view of our home away from home for this week, the Norwegian Sun....really having a blast on our trip so far!

enhance

enhance

enhance

We watched some carving for a bit and asked lots of questions. This guy, and I apologize to him as I forgot his name, was so so patient and you could tell he loved to teach. Very tedious work that had to be done quickly. You have to keep the wood moist so it doesn't dry out. If it dries...it cracks.

After Mt. Roberts Tram, we went down to Wings Airways to check in for our flight and Salmon Bake. This was one of the excursions that I was most looking forward to on our whole trip. We got checked in, they let us drop any extra things we wouldn't need at the lodge, so we dropped the back pack and coats as it was warming up. All I can say, this was a fantastic trip and I'm so glad we did it. Yes, it was expensive but it is something you just won't see often, if ever again and so glad we bit the bullet and did it. A memory that will last a lifetime.....

During check in, we were all divided into groups of 10 and each group had an animal name. We were on the Orange plane and Moose! There were 5 planes that went out, each a different color and animal name. Then when it was time to come back to Juneau, you took the same plane/pilot back.

enhance

enhance

Inside the plane. Each of us got to sit at their own window and had a headset to listen to the narrated commentary of what we were seeing.

enhance

enhance

Did a wave as we went by the Sun on our way to Taku Lodge.....

enhance

Trees, trees and more trees.......

enhance

We're getting higher above the tree line.....

enhance

enhance

The different shades of the water, fresh water mixing in with the glacier silt....

enhance

enhance

Glimpse of our first glacier........

enhance

enhance

Zoomed in on the glacier....look at the blue color in the ice pop!

enhance

The Taku Lodge as we come around to land. It was built in 1923 by a physician as a hunting lodge and the original cabin is still there, now being used as the dining room of the lodge with several small additions added to it. Such a peaceful, serene beautiful place.

enhance

The river was pretty choppy in front of the lodge, so we had to land further out and taxi down to the docks.... Can you see the plane landing?

enhance

Coming into the dock.....

enhance

enhance

We walked the trail after lunch, but didn't come across any bear. Had heard one or two sometimes come out to lick the grill after the salmon is done, but they must have already gotten full because we didn't see any on our trip.

enhance

View of the grill where the fabulous salmon was grilled and the original cabin....

The next few pictures are of the original cabin, now being used as the dining room for visitors. In 1930, the lodge was purchased by a wealthy family from Michigan for their son Hack. They had a nurse under their employee to keep on eye on Hack as he had some habits that were embarrassing and tarnishing the family name. When Hack died in 1934, the owners gave the property to Mary Joyce the nurse and at that time, it included 14 buildings, 15 sled dogs and 3 cows. Mary Joyce took up dog sledding and the winter of 1935-1946, she made the trek from the lodge to Fairbanks, 1000 miles. Her original sled is in the cabin, up by the chandelier.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Sitting on the front porch, enjoying a little Alaska Amber before lunch.....just a great experience!

Sights around the lodge and grounds......

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Ice from Taku Glacier used in the tea.....

enhance

The marinade used on the salmon.....now all I need is some Alderwood and fresh caught Alaskan King Salmon!

enhance

Heading out for our walk after the salmon bake.....

enhance

This is the Sometimes Waterfall......not today!

enhance

Learning about the different plants/trees of the Alaskan woods....to the right, the tall stemmed plants are called Devils Club and they are everywhere. The stems have thousands of sharp little prickly pokes.

enhance

The is the skunk cabbage....and boy did it smell like skunk!

enhance

I loved these trees.....looks at the moss all over the branches. It is pretty much composting the tree from the bottom up....

enhance

enhance

These trees were huge so you know they have been around probably as long as the lodge....

enhance

Relaxing back at the lodge after our walk....

enhance

Taku Glacier

enhance

enhance

Notice the tree roots....they are growing out horizontally. Not sure whether it is because of rock, or the ground stays frozen for so long. Anyone know??

enhance

The planes are coming back so it must be time to go.....boo.

enhance

Goodbye Taku Glacier and Lodge.....we had a fantastic time and wouldn't trade it for anything!

enhance

Not the best picture as the camera is focusing on window smudges, but you can see how the glacier actually cuts into the side of the mountain, carving it out.

enhance

enhance

Again, you can really see the blue ice pop!

enhance

The beautiful views just keep coming and coming....

enhance

We used Rich with Aurora Tours Birds and Bears. He doesn't have a web page as he is just starting out, but you can find him and his phone number on Facebook. Search for him under his tour name on Facebook. Really nice guy and price was pretty good. I felt good helping out a guy just starting out his own tour company.

Thank you I have messaged him - We only arrive on 30th Sept - it may be too late in the season for a tour

After returning to Juneau from the Taku Lodge, we went back to the ship to change clothes. It had warmed up considerably and John through on some shorts and a t-shirt, and I grabbed a t-shirt and back downtown we went. Took various pictures around the area before heading over to The Red Dog Saloon for a couple adult beverages and to take it all in....

enhance

The Juneau Public Library

enhance

Juneau's City Hall Building

enhance

Raven and Bear Mural, Downtown Juneau

enhance

Bronze Sculpture Hard Rock Miners

enhance

enhance

The Infamous Tracy's King Crab Shack

enhance

The Infamous Tracy's King Crab Shack

I've heard Tracy's has great food. How close is Tracy's Crab Shack to where the Sun docks? I'm trying to keep my elderly in-laws walking distances to a minimum.

I've heard Tracy's has great food. How close is Tracy's Crab Shack to where the Sun docks? I'm trying to keep my elderly in-laws walking distances to a minimum.

Depends on where the ship is docking for your day in port. We were at the AR Dock and they had free nice shuttle buses (go to the left when you get off ship) that you take to the drop spot which is right by Mt. Roberts tram and Taku Salmon store. It's then only a couple blocks ahead, then down close to the shore line. If the Sun docks close to downtown....it's right there!

Depends on where the ship is docking for your day in port. We were at the AR Dock and they had free nice shuttle buses (go to the left when you get off ship) that you take to the drop spot which is right by Mt. Roberts tram and Taku Salmon store. It's then only a couple blocks ahead, then down close to the shore line. If the Sun docks close to downtown....it's right there!

Excellent! Thank you.

We made a stop at the Red Dog Saloon for a couple adult beverages and to reflect on the day. Really had a good time there! A must stop if you are in Juneau...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

This guy playing and singing was pretty good! He had a lot of adult humor mixed into his stories and songs....was fun!

enhance

Does anyone really know? Is this really Wyatt Earp's gun? Pretty cool if it is!

We got back to the ship, and dropped things off in our cabin before going up on deck to relax and watch us leaving Juneau....caught a beautiful sunset and followed the Celebrity Infinity out of port. It was 9:00 when we left Juneau....a good day. Tonight, meeting us in our cabin was our towel animal, the bear. Isn't he cute!!

enhance

enhance

Starting to lock up the gates to the dock....

enhance

Getting ready to throw one of the lines tying the ship to the dock....

enhance

enhance

Two ships....passing in the night.

enhance

Towel Bear.....

Day 5 - Skagway

This was another full day for us. We only had 1 excursion planned and that was a trip up to Emerald Lake in the Yukon with Dyea Dave. I was hoping for another dry day, so we wouldn't have low cloud base going over the pass and I was not disappointed. It was another great day. Kathy from Dyea Dave met us at the dock with her small cargo/passenger van as the larger tour bus was full. It was just us and another couple from Arkansas....I thought this was so great as they could have just said the tour was full for the day, but they made sure that everyone that wanted to do the trip got to do the trip, no matter how many vehicles it took to get people there. We saw some absolutely amazing scenery. I know I sound like a broken record, but it was stunning......

enhance

Looking out onto Skagway...population about 900 people. To see some of the original buildings from the gold rush days was pretty cool.

enhance

Looking out toward the channel.....

enhance

The Carnival Legend was the only ship in port with us today....

enhance

A peek of the Sun through the trees.....

enhance

A picture of most of the town, taken from the overlook.

enhance

This was our tour vehicle for the day....was a great and personal tour. Kathy was fantastic...seemed like an old friend you hadn't seen in a long time. She told us all about Skagway, how people get along living there. Did you know that women who are pregnant have to leave at about 7 months, and stay down in Juneau to deliver? There is nobody there to do it in Skagway, no physicians. Just a nurse practitioner....

Skagway, to be continued......

The next few pictures will pretty much be scenic shots I took. I am not a photographer and most of these pictures were taken with my cell phone, and some from inside the van, so may be some reflection. Just incredible raw natural untouched beauty..enhance

enhance

There is a little glare in this picture as I was shooting into the sun, but still a cool shot of the train cruising up to Fraser, BC.

enhance

enhance

Sawtooth Mountain

enhance

William Moore Bridge, Klondike Highway. This bridge is left unattached on one end as it needs to move when they have earthquakes. They do have frequent quakes....a month before we were there a 6.2 magnitude quake around Skagway.

enhance

Soon after the William Moore Bridge the landscape changes dramatically.....notice no trees. It was really brisk up here on the pass and pretty breezy....

enhance

Fraser, BC. Folks waiting for the train to arrive and take the tour buses on to either Emerald Lake or back down to Skagway.

enhanceThe trees and bushes are returning now that were getting to lower elevations.....

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Bovee Island

enhance

Look how clear this water is on the lake......the rocks are about 1-2 feet below the water level. Amazing!

enhance

enhance

Came across this fox getting his lunch....isn't he beautiful!

enhance

We didn't have time to walk around as other party in our group had train to catch, but it was still pretty cool to see.enhance

Emerald Lake....a.maz.ing

enhance

I have never seen water this color....ever.

We stopped in Carcross for about an hour or so for a bite to eat for lunch and walk around a little. It was so cool in Skagway, about 46 degrees when we left, then we got to Carcross and it was in the mid 80's. John was desperately looking for shorts and I got a t-shirt at the General Store. We got a sandwich and a fresh blueberry scone at the bakery then walked around town for a bit. It was really neat seeing some of the old gold rush homesteads that were still there, although barely still standing along the river. A nice little stop to stretch our legs and walk around, visit the cute shops by the Visitor Center.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance