Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Hazelnut1106

We are considering booking a Sept 2013 Princess cruise tour to Alaska. Trying to decide between 5 day land tour (Anchorage + 2 nights Denali + 2 nights McKinley) or 6 day land tour (2 nights Fairbanks + 2 nights Denali + 2 nights McKinley). It would be less expensive to fly into Anchorage than Fairbanks.

Any opinions or personal experience as to whether or not Fairbanks is worth the extra expense?

I'm confused? Denali is McKinley.

Regardless, Fairbanks is more expensive because it's farther away. I prefer Anchorage-but I live here. :)

But if they're on a Princess cruisetour, Denali is at Denali National Park, and the McKinley Princess is the one near the Chulitna River with the great view of Mt. McKinley on a clear day.

Frankly, I can't think of spending 2 days in Fairbanks-even if it is the summer. BUt then I live in Anchorage.

I would depend on what you get with the cruise tour-as far as excursions around Fairbanks they might offer.

Of course, there are many on the board who would tell you to forget the cruise tour and go out on your own.

But, as for me, there is nothing wrong with a cruise tour-especially if it is your first time up here.

But I would go to Anchorage and save the money for excursions on the cruise.

Unlike Akman, I love spending time in Fairbanks in the summer. But if there aren't activities to excite you for that amount of time (probably 1 full day, perhaps 1 1/2 days, depending on when you fly in), then you should choose the other tour. Only you can weigh the activities vs. expense.

This site may be helpful: http://fairbanks-alaska.com/

Unlike Akman, I love spending time in Fairbanks in the summer. But if there aren't activities to excite you for that amount of time (probably 1 full day, perhaps 1 1/2 days, depending on when you fly in), then you should choose the other tour. Only you can weigh the activities vs. expense.

This site may be helpful: http://fairbanks-alaska.com/

For me there's a lot of stuff to do AROUND Fairbanks, just not IN Fairbanks...(at least not stuff I could't do as well in Anchorage)...That is why I asked about what the cruise tour was planing for Fairbanks for those 2 days......

We are considering booking a Sept 2013 Princess cruise tour to Alaska. Trying to decide between 5 day land tour (Anchorage + 2 nights Denali + 2 nights McKinley) or 6 day land tour (2 nights Fairbanks + 2 nights Denali + 2 nights McKinley). It would be less expensive to fly into Anchorage than Fairbanks.

Any opinions or personal experience as to whether or not Fairbanks is worth the extra expense?

Surprisingly I found it not that much more expensive to fly to FB vs. Anchorage

For me, being a Fairbanksan, the thought of spending a couple of days in Anchorage in all of that traffic is mind numbing. Over half the population of the state lives there. And while Anchorage does have some wonderful restaurants and a terriffic museum, aren't you coming to Alaska to get away from it all? There are plenty of choices of activities for both Fairbanks and Anchorage, but getting around and out of Anchorage can be quite time consuming. There are so many chioces, but just make the decision on what your REAL needs and preferences are. This is big state and you cannot do it all in one trip. What you do not cover with this trip, you can do on the next! :-)

Whatever your decison, September is a wonderful time to come to Alaska and I think you will be pleased when you are here.

Cheers,

Taters

I too enjoy Fairbanks. There are some very interesting sights and activities around town. And it's usually the only place I find sunshine! But i've always gone DIY so I had a car or RV at my disposal. As mytime said, you need to look at the tour activities and decide if they're of interest. Most cruisetours seem to include the Riverboat and gold mine; both are very interesting and enjoyable.

I would go as early in Sept as possible. The fall colors will be be spectacular. And a great time for seeing moose, especially in Denali. I like the fact that you have 2 nights at Denali ; that's a good indication that you're getting more than the Natural History Tour. The colors in the Park will be breathtaking.

Have a great time !

Edited by mapleleaves

I also am very fond of Fairbanks. :) Plenty to see and do, enjoyable every time I'm there, BUT a car rental is "necessary" in my opinion, not an extremely limited cruisetour.

I think this poster needs to back up, and find out what each area offers, and if they have any touring preference, rather than just listing "days". Are these locations they want to be? Especially with the "McKinley Princess" mentioned. IF the Tundra Wilderness tour included? Are they extending their touring time? Is Seward of any interest?- easy access from Anchorage- as an example.

In Sept, the timing is extremely important with a northbound early Sept cruise, superior.

For me, much more would be considered in this decision.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you all for your prompt replies and opinions. As several posters have pointed out, there are still a lot of questions we need to answer for our best personal experience. It is not always just about the dollars save. But we are trying to coordinate with 2 other couples and they may have a different opinion about the dollars saved (or spent). Thanks again for your inputs.

• 5 years later...

On the flight prices, we are flying in and out of Savannah, GA, 12 highest airfare prices in the nation. With that said, we found it less expensive to go from Anchorage to SAV than Fairbanks to SAV....but then that is us.

We just returned from a tour and we stayed in Anchorage two and one in Fairbanks. We found Anchorage had most everything we needed downtown. You can book day trips ,visit the museum and there is some great places to eat. All within walking distance. It's really a beautiful city with all the flowers.