rent a car in the Costa Maya port to go to Bacalar

olesh

I thought there was a car rental place in the port by the parking lot where you pick up the tram. It may be just for scooters and ATVs. Otherwise, local hotels and resorts recommend renting in Chetumal or Playa del Carmen. You're talking taxi fare to Chetumal and about 3.5 hours RT travel, plus travel back to BL and return to Chetumal. You're whole day would be driving to and from places.. There is a small private plane type airfield near Costa Maya, but I don't think it has a rental agency. So you may be limited to a taxi or an excursion. There are non-ship excursion vendors who have excursions to BL or part of the lagoon. Check out Native Choice for example.

We have reserved an excursion through ShoreExcursioneer.com to go to Bacalar Lagoon (Costa Maya Seven Colors of Blue Lagoon Excursion) this coming May. Cost of $54.99 per person. 5 hours. Transportation provided. Lunch provided. Use of Blue Lagoon Resort facilities and a kayak tour if desired. Not sure when you are cruising, if after May, I can give you a review.

I can see the attraction in the tour. Note it starts at noon and lasts 4 hours. Getting there in time probably won't be an issue. Getting back to the ship, might be. What's the departure time for your ship from Costa Maya? It's at least and hour and 15-20 minutes to Bacalar from Costa Maya. Same for return. So the earliest you'd make it back would be around 5:30P. If you ship leaves at 6P you're probably okay, but will most likely be a pier runner that day. Ship leaves earlier, you missed it.:eek:

• 6 months later...
We have reserved an excursion through ShoreExcursioneer.com to go to Bacalar Lagoon (Costa Maya Seven Colors of Blue Lagoon Excursion) this coming May. Cost of $54.99 per person. 5 hours. Transportation provided. Lunch provided. Use of Blue Lagoon Resort facilities and a kayak tour if desired. Not sure when you are cruising, if after May, I can give you a review.

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me how this excursion went with ShoreExcursioneer, I will be going to Costa Maya next year and I think I would really enjoy going to see this lagoon. It sounds beautiful. I booked an excursion with this company recently in Progesso and it was terrible so I hesitant to use them again. Did you enjoy this excursion? Were you concerned at all about getting back to the ship n time?

Thank you in advance for your comments on this.

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me how this excursion went with ShoreExcursioneer, I will be going to Costa Maya next year and I think I would really enjoy going to see this lagoon. It sounds beautiful. I booked an excursion with this company recently in Progesso and it was terrible so I hesitant to use them again. Did you enjoy this excursion? Were you concerned at all about getting back to the ship n time?

Can't help with this actual tour but if you are talking about ShoreExcursioneer as 'the company', they are only brokers and tours will only be as good as the individual tour operator in any given place. That does not mean ShoreExcursioneer are not accountable but the actual tours do vary in standard from place to place.

We did use ShoreExcursioneer for the excursion to the Bacalar Lagoon (aka Seven Colors Lagoon) and we did enjoy it and were pleased with the service provided by the driver and guide. The walk from the port to the meeting point was a little longer than expected - directions were acurate, but I think I would pay for the cab ride to the meeting place if we did it again. At no time did we feel unsafe or uncertain about being where we were. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. The only downside, as with many of the excursions on the mainland, was the time devoted driving to and from the site was longer than the time spent at the site. That being said, we were told before leaving the starting point that we would be heading back in plenty of time to be back at the port. The guide was very good about letting us know how much time we had left before needing to start back. We also used ShoreExcursioneer for the Jeep excursion we took in Cozumel. This particular company's directions were not as clear as the other, but once we were placed with our guide everything was fine, friendly, professional, accommodating and always aware of the time and ship's time. Hope this helps.

We did use ShoreExcursioneer for the excursion to the Bacalar Lagoon (aka Seven Colors Lagoon) and we did enjoy it and were pleased with the service provided by the driver and guide. The walk from the port to the meeting point was a little longer than expected - directions were acurate, but I think I would pay for the cab ride to the meeting place if we did it again. At no time did we feel unsafe or uncertain about being where we were. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. The only downside, as with many of the excursions on the mainland, was the time devoted driving to and from the site was longer than the time spent at the site. That being said, we were told before leaving the starting point that we would be heading back in plenty of time to be back at the port. The guide was very good about letting us know how much time we had left before needing to start back. We also used ShoreExcursioneer for the Jeep excursion we took in Cozumel. This particular company's directions were not as clear as the other, but once we were placed with our guide everything was fine, friendly, professional, accommodating and always aware of the time and ship's time. Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you for taking the time to let me know how it went!