Will Oceania be disappointing?

fernem

Fernem,

I now have one cruise on Oceania Marina (the other O class) and Azamara Journey (R class). My just returned from Journey cruise was FANTASTIC!

That being said, in my experience, you are correct that you won't generally find the intimacy on O that you find on AZ. I found the other passengers on O somewhat aloof or standoffish as opposed to AZ's welcoming by pretty much most of the other pax.

There is decidedly a major difference between the interaction from senior staff between the two lines. AZ wins that one hands down. Is that more important to you when you cruise?

Both cruise lines have some advantages over the other. But will you be disappointed? IMHO, It depends upon the attitude you sail with. Figure out what you seek in a cruise and go with your gut feeling. I doubt you'll have a bad cruise either way.

That being said, I have three Oceania cruises booked through spring 2019. I wish, as others have stated on another thread, that AZ pricing would be a little more competitive when considering the perks O throws in.

I just did a comparison between Quest and my booked Regatta to AK. Both are in cabin 6093. Both are 10 nights. Regatta cruises Hubbard Glacier while Quest chose an overnight in Seattle. However AZ considers the cabin a Veranda with no extra perks. O considers the cabin as Concierge class with these perks. Both prices are very similar.

-Four Specialty restaurant reservations included

-Priority online specialty restaurant reservations

-Round trip airfare

-Priority noon ship embarkation

-Complimentary welcome bottle of champagne

-Free excursions, beverage package or shipboard credit

-Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch SpaClub® private Spa Terrace

-FREE Unlimited Internet -iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board

-Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda

-Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation

-Room service from the Grand Dining Room menu during lunch and dinner

-FREE laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom

Since I don't have loyalty perks on O as I do on AZ for previously sailing on Celebrity, the perks made a big difference.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Hi, I too loved Century and was sad to see it go. It was slightly larger than Riviera but carried approx a third more passengers.

Riviera is a beautiful ship so no need to worry and the passengers are just as friendly as those on Azamara :)

We are booked on the TA in November 18 for 26 nights, starting in Barcelona, maybe see you on board.

Thanks, LuAnn. That back to back was quite tempting - the Caribbean extension. If I weren't still working, that would be great for us too. Hope to see you around!

Fern

Fernem,

I now have one cruise on Oceania Marina (the other O class) and Azamara Journey (R class). My just returned from Journey cruise was FANTASTIC!

That being said, in my experience, you are correct that you won't generally find the intimacy on O that you find on AZ. I found the other passengers on O somewhat aloof or standoffish as opposed to AZ's welcoming by pretty much most of the other pax.

There is decidedly a major difference between the interaction from senior staff between the two lines. AZ wins that one hands down. Is that more important to you when you cruise?

Both cruise lines have some advantages over the other. But will you be disappointed? IMHO, It depends upon the attitude you sail with. Figure out what you seek in a cruise and go with your gut feeling. I doubt you'll have a bad cruise either way.

That being said, I have three Oceania cruises booked through spring 2019. I wish, as others have stated on another thread, that AZ pricing would be a little more competitive when considering the perks O throws in.

I just did a comparison between Quest and my booked Regatta to AK. Both are in cabin 6093. Both are 10 nights. Regatta cruises Hubbard Glacier while Quest chose an overnight in Seattle. However AZ considers the cabin a Veranda with no extra perks. O considers the cabin as Concierge class with these perks. Both prices are very similar.

-Four Specialty restaurant reservations included

-Priority online specialty restaurant reservations

-Round trip airfare

-Priority noon ship embarkation

-Complimentary welcome bottle of champagne

-Free excursions, beverage package or shipboard credit

-Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch SpaClub[emoji768] private Spa Terrace

-FREE Unlimited Internet -iPad[emoji768] upon request for your enjoyment on board

-Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda

-Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation

-Room service from the Grand Dining Room menu during lunch and dinner

-FREE laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom

Since I don't have loyalty perks on O as I do on AZ for previously sailing on Celebrity, the perks made a big difference.

Hi, Steve.

Thanks for the nice reply.

I love Azamara and have had fantastic trips on both ships. Our last Venice to Nice down the Adriatic was just wonderful in May. But I am looking forward to my first O ship as well.

I just love being on water! I am pretty addicted, truth be known. We are taking the Silhouette across the Atlantic in November and I am already impatient. (This is silly. I love my home. We have a dog. But there's something about being on a ship that makes me happy and being on the sea makes me peaceful!)

Fern

Hey David! Was the Diamond the twin hull ship? Pretty unique. I think I saw it a couple of times in the Caribbean. Not that comfy if it was rough?

Phil, I don't remember the Diamond being particularly bouncy. We were in the Black Sea and had some pretty good swells at least once. I remember it being very stable. It's now plying the shores somewhere around China I think, SE Asia maybe, for the Chinese market. Best dining room at sea, it was. But it was very fuel-inefficient apparently.

Hi LuAnn.

I have another question. In the many Celebrity cruises we have taken, I have loved the Century best. Felt like a real ship. My love of Azamara came from a sense I'd found a new and improved Century experience. Is Riviera about the same size as Century, if you know? In tonnage Riviera is slightly less. I don't know how that translates to size. Just curious.

Fern

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fern...we loved the Century and sailed on her a number of times...including her final T/P when she was on the way to Asia to be turned over to her new owners...it was a bitter-sweet cruise for sure! :loudcry: As already mentioned she was bigger than the O class ships...the O class is of course newer and has a much more modern "vibe" than the old R ships on AZ and Oceania and while they are also a bit bigger they certainly don't feel big at all! Looking forward to meeting you and chatting on the O R/C!! LuAnn

Fern...we loved the Century and sailed on her a number of times...including her final T/P when she was on the way to Asia to be turned over to her new owners...it was a bitter-sweet cruise for sure! :loudcry: As already mentioned she was bigger than the O class ships...the O class is of course newer and has a much more modern "vibe" than the old R ships on AZ and Oceania and while they are also a bit bigger they certainly don't feel big at all! Looking forward to meeting you and chatting on the O R/C!! LuAnn

If I were a rich person I would have tried to buy the Eric Clapton photo that hung in the Crystal Room on the Century. It was a gem and I am sure I couldn't afford it. But I did love that ship. The suites up top with their huge balconies were fabulous. We took 4 trips across the Atlantic on her up top one to Hawaii and one fabulous round trip to Alaska from San Francisco!

[emoji1]

If you stay on Oceania next November (and it isn't cancelled) come find me. 11014. A very strange cabin number!

Fern

If I were a rich person I would have tried to buy the Eric Clapton photo that hung in the Crystal Room on the Century. It was a gem and I am sure I couldn't afford it. But I did love that ship. The suites up top with their huge balconies were fabulous. We took 4 trips across the Atlantic on her up top one to Hawaii and one fabulous round trip to Alaska from San Francisco!

[emoji1]

If you stay on Oceania next November (and it isn't cancelled) come find me. 11014. A very strange cabin number!

Fern

Yes...we had friends who had one of those suites and the balcony was AMAZING!! "God willing and the creek don't rise" we will be on O and I've made a note of your stateroom. The suites on Oceania are pretty special as well! :) LuAnn

Yes...we had friends who had one of those suites and the balcony was AMAZING!! "God willing and the creek don't rise" we will be on O and I've made a note of your stateroom. The suites on Oceania are pretty special as well! :) LuAnn

✌️

Like Azamara. Just back from my first Oceania cruise on Marina. Marina is gorgeous. Large cabins, 4 specialty restaurants with no surcharge, elegant tea everyday, live entertainment in bars, and fabulous food. Liquor and tips are not included. Marina was outstanding. It's time for Azamara to build new ships with larger cabins and more specialty restaurants.

Glad to hear that Oceania is a good alternative for those of us who for one reason or the other are finding difficult to book with Azamara.

We also have a cruise booked with the Sirena. Looking forward to it. But we also have a B2B with Azamara. I am sure the board experience will be as good as always.

Ivi

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Azamara Journey for an Italian Cruise about 5 years ago (I think). I loved it because the small size allowed us to dock near Cinque Terre, St. Tropez, etc. Beer and wine were included. We just finished Oceania Marina Baltic Sea in June. It was wonderful. I would say Azamara had a more relaxed casual atmosphere. But Oceania was great too - 4 included specialty restaurants. No hot breakfast for room service on Oceania in regular balcony staterooms. I thought this might be a problem but it really wasn't as we were out the door early for excursions on the port intensive cruise. I would go back to either - and in fact we are on Azamara Journey in May 2018 for a great Spanish/Portugal cruise. Can't wait!!

We love both O and AZ. I think the O Riviera is my most favorite ship. ( 54 cruises ) I just came off the Seabourn Sojourn on Saturday. I did not feel the food was as good as Oceania. Only one specialty restaurant and we were not impressed. However I did find the Seabourn cruiser`s very friendly and met lovely people. Heather