Regent Seven Seas Holds Contest to Choose New Luxury Cruise Ship Name

LauraS

Note, underlining added:

Although the contest link on Cruise Critic says "past-passenger," I don't think that is a requirement - at least I did not see it in the terms, and they don't ask for any Regent identifying information in the submission form..

Also, I suspect the contest excludes the many UK and Australian residents who post here because of their propensity to stick an extra "u" somewhere before everything that ends in "r." Bad form, really.

I believe Canadians often add the "u" as well. And shall we start on aluminum/aluminium?

I believe Canadians often add the "u" as well. And shall we start on aluminum/aluminium?

Yes - they definitely use the "u". My DH uses the British version of aluminum and no one knows what he is talking about. My computer won't allow me to spell it the other way -- it keeps changing it. I wonder if Apple computers in Canada change the words into the way they are spelled there? When we get home tomorrow, we'll put our baggage in the boot of our car.

drib - this is meant as good fun.

Given the current situation--pending Hurricane Irma bearing down on Florida, which will certainly affect many CC folks' current, or pending plans with any involvement in Southern USA--

A bit of levity.

This thought was shared with John, our Cruise Director on March-April's "Explorer" sailing from Miami, via Barcelona, to Venice. And, John shared this bon mot later that evening with the audience when introducing Regent's CEO for a "Town Hall" confab. Quite a positive response. However, not from my wife, who tried to hide under the table.

Given Regent's desire to encourage repeat clients, what better a name than

"Terminator"

It meets all the requirements. And, of course, at launching somewhere in Europe, do not ask a Princess to do the task of breaking the bottle against the hull. No, break the mold. The person delivering the address will be none other than Arnold S. Because, as he opined in the first, of what turned out to be several, hits--

"I'll be Back!" He did return, the next time as the good-guy.

Can you not visage this ship arriving at a Port, and chasing all the competition out?

Anyway--GOARMY!

I like "Endeavor" (or "Endeavour" for the British spelling, as we know from Captain James Cook and the Inspector Morse mysteries).

But of course things didn't end too well for Captain Cook...

I think that this will be a very popular name. Maybe you should have kept it a secret;p

LOL. Actually, British spelling is one of my favourite things, and is much more colourful than US spelling. We're the odd ducks on spelling, not the Brits. Doesn't "jewellery" look better than the boring "jewelry"?

I understand that we can thank/blame the American lexicographer Noah Webster for many of the differences.

He felt that spelling needed reform & simplification - as well as acting as a symbol of America's independence from the British.

I understand that we can thank/blame the American lexicographer Noah Webster for many of the differences.

He felt that spelling needed reform & simplification - as well as acting as a symbol of America's independence from the British.

Interesting information. Thank you!

For better or worse, the name of the next ship needs to end in "or" or "er" so the proper spelling of Endeavour would not be in the running. My DH really liked that name as well.

Whatever name is finally chosen for Explorer's sister ship (ending in er or or), let's all hope she doesn't turn out to be the Regent Error....:D

All of these humorous names are really creative and funny. Just realized that the U.S. spells "humorous" with a "u" - never noticed before.

I don't think this contest is limited to US and Canada -- I went to the link, filled out the form (with my brilliant idea!) and then got to choose my country of resident. Switzerland was no problem. I hope to win this contest and no - I am not telling anyone the name!!

PS - I won't be the only person suggesting it, that is for sure!

I don't think this contest is limited to US and Canada -- I went to the link, filled out the form (with my brilliant idea!) and then got to choose my country of resident. Switzerland was no problem. I hope to win this contest and no - I am not telling anyone the name!!

PS - I won't be the only person suggesting it, that is for sure!

I don't know - somehow, I don't think "Regent Seven Seas Hambagahler" is going to be suggested too often. :D

We were on Explorer last week when the competition was advertised on the back of the daily newsletter. The small print said, only open to US and Canadian residents. We went to the reception to ask about this, and they reception staff told us the web page was being taken down, due to complaints. So whether they have now opened it to all as a result. But originally we were told as UK residents, our entry would be discarded. Maybe Regent have had a re-think

We were on Explorer last week when the competition was advertised on the back of the daily newsletter. The small print said, only open to US and Canadian residents. We went to the reception to ask about this, and they reception staff told us the web page was being taken down, due to complaints. So whether they have now opened it to all as a result. But originally we were told as UK residents, our entry would be discarded. Maybe Regent have had a re-think

My DH and I just submitted our entries and when it came to the part where we had to indicate what country we reside in, there was a long list of countries. It looks like it is open to all past Regent cruisers.

Despite the verbal Regent assurances and the drop down menu of countries, the Ts & Cs on the web entry form are still very clear - the competition is only open to legal residents of the US & Canada .............. so if the prize is awarded to anyone from elsewhere it could/would be challenged.

My entry, if it were allowed, would have to be the Seven Seas Mis-Communicator ;) :rolleyes:

My DH and I just submitted our entries and when it came to the part where we had to indicate what country we reside in, there was a long list of countries. It looks like it is open to all past Regent cruisers.

When we submitted on the Explorer, we were able to select UK, but as I said the small print said US and Canada only and other entries would be discarded. Probably changed after complaints :)

When we submitted on the Explorer, we were able to select UK, but as I said the small print said US and Canada only and other entries would be discarded. Probably changed after complaints :)

Agree! Regent would not permit entries from other countries if they were not going to consider them.

Due to Legal restrictions, the contest was limited to U.S. & Canada residents only. We apologize for not being able to offer this opportunity to our entire global audience.

Hi Reggie (Reginald or Regina?),

Thanks for the confirmation, but assume you have seen posts #13 & #39 in this thread.

Flossie

Edited by flossie009

I am thrilled that Regent Seven Seas is here and also that they don't have a name (lest they be bombarded with questions, arguments, etc.)

Initially I thought that the contest had to do with legalities (I eluded to this in post #10 when I mentioned taxes, etc.) but when I saw a long list of countries I questioned my thinking. Now that we have a definitive answer, does it really matter what any of us posted before? I'm happy to put this topic to rest.

P.S. I'm going to refer to this poster as "rssc"!

drib, excellent to hear about Reggie's back-story :D ........... who knew?

It is good to see Regent stepping in with useful, accurate information on this Board. Hopefully it will curtail some of the mis-information and opinion that is often posted by well meaning CC members as though it was informed 'fact'

Long may Reggie continue contributing information ferreted out from Miami .............. and also feeding back the thoughts of CC members to Regent management