Please help me find a category

Kingofwylietx

I've looked all around this forum, but I can't find a transatlantic specific forum area. I've found all ports of call and all the other areas.

Am I overlooking it, not thinking properly of where it is, missed the secret room, or is there not one?

If there is, please post a link for this confused cruiser. I'd like to start researching transatlantic cruises.

Thanks in advance!

I've looked all around this forum, but I can't find a transatlantic specific forum area. I've found all ports of call and all the other areas.

Am I overlooking it, not thinking properly of where it is, missed the secret room, or is there not one?

If there is, please post a link for this confused cruiser. I'd like to start researching transatlantic cruises.

Thanks in advance!

There's no special transatlantic forum. Cunard is the only line operating scheduled transatlantics in both directions from May through December. The US port is NY and the other side of the pond is Southampton, UK. (Some sailings are extended to Hamburg, Germany.)

Every other line only makes "repositioning" crossings. October ships are coming WB, March-April they are heading EB.

This may help: http://www.repositioncruises.com/transatlantic-repositioning-cruises/

Edited by BlueRiband

There's no special transatlantic forum. Cunard is the only line operating scheduled transatlantics in both directions from May through December. The US port is NY and the other side of the pond is Southampton, UK. (Some sailings are extended to Hamburg, Germany.)

Every other line only makes "repositioning" crossings. October ships are coming WB, March-April they are heading EB.

This may help: http://www.repositioncruises.com/transatlantic-repositioning-cruises/

Thanks for the link... interesting information!

Good info, thanks!

We can't take a month away from work, so we would have to do a repo transatlantic. I was just thinking it would be a relaxing way to return to the U.S. from Europe (fly there, tour, then cruise back home).

Then you need to be looking at October cruises UNLESS you find a Cunard going westbound at other times of the year. Be forewarned that Cunard is very formal so you'd be packing a lot of long dresses and tuxedo parts on top your your regular vacation clothes for the land part of your trip. Those will be 7 day crossings.

Norwegian is a very casual line and you can wear non dressy things even nice shorts to dinner in one of the main dining rooms. Look for their October repo cruises. They will be about 2 week trips, sometimes more if they are doing the Med and then going back to the U.S. Lots of sea days!

If you just want general information about Transatlantic crossings, you're probably in the right place. My DW and I have done 3 TA crossings, one each from Barcelona, Rome and London. Of the 3, only Barcelona is actually a port city. The others use nearby coastal cities.

I sure there are many others reading these posts that are even more experienced with TA cruises. Ask your questions.

You could also read reviews by other people about their TA experience, either in the review section or reviews that are posted right here on the forums. Or read roll call threads for future TAs. Many people will post their thoughts about what they plan and what they've done previously.

Good info, thanks!

We can't take a month away from work, so we would have to do a repo transatlantic. I was just thinking it would be a relaxing way to return to the U.S. from Europe (fly there, tour, then cruise back home).

I can relate to that - I'm still working and getting three weeks off is pushing the limit.

Keep in mind however that a WB repos would only be sailing in October and will involve 10-11 days at sea. The time at sea will eat into your time for touring Europe. And if October is a busy time at your job it may be difficult to get that much time off.

Cunard offers WB TAs in other months and they are 7-8 days at sea.

On the plus side a repo would have Florida, Louisiana, or Texas as a final destination point and that might be far more convenient for you than New York. And as others mentioned, Cunard ships are formal and that may not fit your preferred vacation style. If formal evenings and white glove afternoon tea service are appealing you'll love it. If however your reaction is, as one person put it, "what's this about dressing just to eat?" you will hate it.:(

Edited by BlueRiband

You guys/gals are full of great info.

-I like the idea of Cunard doing the TA in 7 days. But, and it's a big one, they are too formal and pricy for us. I tend to wear golf shirts to dinner, we don't normally eat in places that require a jacket.

-NCL has TA's that end in Houston, which is very convenient for us. The whole idea is to arrive back home relaxed and not jet lagged. I think arriving via cruise line would be the best. It looks like their quickest route to Houston is approx 13-16 days. I did see an 11 day, but have already forgotten where it lands.

-Honestly, my biggest questions are about staying entertained on the crossing. I'm thinking Norwegian would be a great match for ship size and entertainment. Too bad they don't have an express lane!

Do the cruise lines do a good job of keeping you entertained throughout the day?

We have never been on an 11 day cruise with no port days. Am I right to assume that they do just as good a job throughout an 11 day cruise as they do on any other cruise during sea days?

What are the demographics on a TA? I suspect it's a...ahem....errrr....more mature crowd. If you are not independently wealthy or retired, it is probably tough to get the time off. If we could take the kids, would there be any other 4 or 8 year olds for them to play with, or would they be the only ones in the kids club?

Based on what you have said so far, your next step would be to go to the NCL board and ask there. Those familiar with NCL can tell you about the daytime activities on repositioning crossings.

While most ships have some type of organized activities for children, I don't think there will be many school age children on an October crossing. You would have to consult with the teacher of your 8-year old and discuss the impact of taking him/her out of class. (On an October Canadian voyage I saw very few children and those few were pre-school age.)

Cruise ships are built to cruise and don't have the speed or design to cross the Atlantic like QM2 which is a purpose built ocean liner. That's why you are seeing 11, 13, and 16 days for a repositioning crossing.

It's likely to be an "older crowd" due to the length of time of the voyage.

Edited by BlueRiband

I did a 13 day repo from Southampton to Miami on the Norwegian SUN and it was a lot of fun. Yes, they have a lot of things to do, and the roll call groups on those type of cruises will often have a few activities going on during the week. We were to have 2 port stops; Ponta Delgada and Lisbon. We only made it to Lisbon due to storms in our way for the Azores. Such things happens and though it was disappointing (I had a great private tour lined up) it was still a nice cruise.

I enjoy sea days! I like reading, sitting and watching the sea, playing trivia and having a good time, all of that was accomplished! You are right, there is a slightly skewed oldish demographic, however there were also young families with children, a bunch of 40 somethings and on up from there.

Your take on arriving home with no jet lag is correct, we did a Cunard crossing to start our London vacation and it was great not wandering around the first day like a zombie. :D

I hope you can find a cruise that will accommodate your time constraints.

Good info, thanks!

Sept. 6, 2015. Royal Princess. London to Fort Lauderdale. 5 ports. 15 days.

We will be on board. Don't like the flight to London, however, the days to get back will make up for it.

Harry

I'll have to do some more research. We won't pull the kids out of school, so this may not be a possibility. It looks like most TA's are during our kid's school terms.

It was just an idea. We already have a cruise scheduled for next year, so this wouldn't be until 2017.