What kind of shoes for cavetubbing?

nxtdoor

I had read that the walk had parts where they had brought in pebbles and it was hard on the feet. I wore a cheap pair of tennis shoes with a thicker sole and was fine. Others in my party had cheap water shoes and they didn't have any problems either.

Although we did not do the cave tubbing in Belize through the cruise line ourselves, we have plenty of experience in similar settings (ATM in Bz, 27 Charcos in DR, etc.). We always find that it makes sense to get a good pair of water shoes, i.e., shoes with thick soles, not the kind that have a light highly flexible soles. The latter are fine around the pool, but they suck on a trail. Alternatively, as other posted, you can just use some light tennis shoes.

But most importantly, do NOT wear a flip flops.

Don't wear Walmart water shoes, they will HURT. It is slippery and there are big rocks you step on. I ordered and wore Teva tennis shoes. They're meant to go in the water and it was a great investment. I got some "out of style" ones off amazon and I wear them any time i need a tennis shoe. Great investment.

I just did the tour a few days ago wearing plain water shoes. I was fine while on the tour but the bottom of my feet were tender later in the day but were fine by the next day. Flip flops would fall off when crossing the river.

I've done this a few times. I've always worn my water shoes and been ok. If you have tender feet, grab a pair of cheap tennis shoes or something you don't mind messing up. My feet hurt for the rest of the day. Next time I'll spring for the tennis shoe route if I do cave tubing again. Hope this helps.

We just wore old tennis shoes and left them with some of the local people at the end. They were happy to get them and I did not want to have to carry them back. We did the same thing with our clothes. My kids have a lot of t shirts that they get from school or sports teams. We wore those with some old swim suits and left everything. You can just leave your clean clothes and shoes on the van and change into them at the end. Definitely made things much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the tour in June. I felt my old tennis shoes did much better than the people that wore water shoes. Some of soles were too thin and they complained the rocks hurt. Another member bought cheap water shoes and the insole came out after bugging her for half the walk. I would go with some old sneakers.

We just did the tour in June. I felt my old tennis shoes did much better than the people that wore water shoes. Some of soles were too thin and they complained the rocks hurt. Another member bought cheap water shoes and the insole came out after bugging her for half the walk. I would go with some old sneakers.

Opps you answered the question I just asked you on the other post. Thanks, Im pretty sure Ill go for old tennis shoes now.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a silly question, but do you wear socks with the tennis shoes? I have some old running shoes that I don't mind sacrificing, but I'm afraid of getting soggy feet and blisters from wet shoes. Is that a legitimate concern?

We have been twice and each time all of us have worn water shoes with no problems. This is what the paths look like most of the way:

P5130217-M.jpg

P5130248-M.jpg

There are some places that have the bigger rocks that are hard to walk on. However we found that in most places there was a path on the sides of the path :D that was just dirt that you could walk on and it was great. :)

This might be a silly question, but do you wear socks with the tennis shoes? I have some old running shoes that I don't mind sacrificing, but I'm afraid of getting soggy feet and blisters from wet shoes. Is that a legitimate concern?

I have wondered the same thing about socks. I might just wear them on the hiking part and take them off when I get in the tube....Nothing would be worse than having blisters for the rest of the cruise:(

The tennis shoes I wore actually were made of a breathable, mess type sides. I had no problem with them not drying out. I would think that regular leather tennis shoes might not dry out quickly and could be yucky to wear. I would think a canvas sneaker or something with a breathable side would be better. As I have read, some people had no problem with water shoes. I guess it just depends upon what company makes them. My friend's insole came out and my dad's shoes were too thin to protect his feet from the rocks.

Enjoy this excursion. It is great.

I have wondered the same thing about socks. I might just wear them on the hiking part and take them off when I get in the tube....Nothing would be worse than having blisters for the rest of the cruise:(

You can buy thin water socks that are made for fins. They're less than $5pp on Amazon.

My question isn't about the shoes, but about the life jackets and helmets they have you wear. Do you have to wear them the entire time your walking down the trail or just when you go to get in your tube?

How big were the life jackets?

My question isn't about the shoes, but about the life jackets and helmets they have you wear. Do you have to wear them the entire time your walking down the trail or just when you go to get in your tube?

Our life jackets were attached to our tube during the walk. We wore our helmets on the walk and this was good because we walked through a cave. The life jackets were average size life jackets.

Here's a picture of the life jackets. We wore our life jackets and helmets during the walk. We didn't carry our tubes with .bz (someone from their staff went way ahead of us and took them for everyone that day and they were waiting on us when we arrived where you get in to the water). You don't have to wear them and can carry them if you wanted, but it was just easier to wear them and be hands free. :)

IMG_0239-S.jpg

Here's a picture of the life jackets. We wore our life jackets and helmets during the walk. We didn't carry our tubes with .bz (someone from their staff went way ahead of us and took them for everyone that day and they were waiting on us when we arrived where you get in to the water). You don't have to wear them and can carry them if you wanted, but it was just easier to wear them and be hands free. :)

IMG_0239-S.jpg

You are so well informed. Thanks for your info. Can a 7yo have a tube to herself?

You are so well informed. Thanks for your info. Can a 7yo have a tube to herself?

Thanks and you're welcome. I'm not sure if they have an actual age or height that they have to be in order to be able to do it themselves. But, I would imagine it would be how comfortable you would feel having them go on one by themselves. The tubes are attached to each other, so you would be right there with your little one. I'm thinking I read somewhere on here that others have had their 7-8 year olds go on a tube by themself. :)

Thanks and you're welcome. I'm not sure if they have an actual age or height that they have to be in order to be able to do it themselves. But, I would imagine it would be how comfortable you would feel having them go on one by themselves. The tubes are attached to each other, so you would be right there with your little one. I'm thinking I read somewhere on here that others have had their 7-8 year olds go on a tube by themself. :)

I hope she can get her own yellow tube. SHe is not afraid at all.

Archived