Seasickness?

hlsess

Depends where you embark/disembark. We experienced enough rockin' and rollin' between San Francisco and Victoria to need a patch to bring our equilibrium back into balance. Once north of Vancouver we didn't have any issues to/from Skagway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been in very rough weather quite a few times, most recently on a Transatlantic crossing on the Wind in March. Here's my suggestion; the minute you feel, or hear from the Captain at his noontime announcement that rough seas are ahead, get to The Reception desk and ask for the "magic" pills. They work beautifully. Best of all is that they don't knock you out with sleepiness. Good luck...I think that you'll be just fine.

I have been in very rough weather quite a few times, most recently on a Transatlantic crossing on the Wind in March. Here's my suggestion; the minute you feel, or hear from the Captain at his noontime announcement that rough seas are ahead, get to The Reception desk and ask for the "magic" pills. They work beautifully. Best of all is that they don't knock you out with sleepiness. Good luck...I think that you'll be just fine.

That's a top tip CP. Prophylactic motion-sickness therapy. It really is the best way rather than waiting for the nausea.

Most of the cruise is in fairly sheltered waters, with the exception of the first night crossing the Gulf of Alaska. Our butler brought us some of the magic pills that first night, before we even asked for them, as we encountered rather heavy seas crossing the gulf. However we cruised in September when there are more storms. 'Eye witness weather' for right now is beautiful weather, at least on the last part of your cruise. I'm gazing out over the Georgia Strait now: not a cloud in the sky, calm seas, and that is the forecast for this part of the world for at least the next week. Can't speak to the weather in Alaska at the moment though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Small ships move around a lot more than big ships. Being more toward the center and lower provide the least movement. So if your inclined to getting sea sick, it will happen more on small ships covering the same seas on the same day than bigger ships.

So only thing good to say is: When someone joins the Navy, they don't let them go home if they find out there are susceptible to getting sea sick.you can overcome and or get used to ship movements and not have any more sea sickness over time spent onboard ships at sea...

We have sailed Alaska many times including on the Shadow.

The odds say that the seas will be relatively calm but yes you could experience some rough seas on your voyage and what one considerer rough varies by person.

My advice is to prepare for this with one or more remedies that will work for you. In our case we do bring Bonine as that works for us. There are other remedies. We also try to book a room more mid-ship if available.

It's a lovely itinerary.

Keith

Exactly right. (We were on that crossing too.)

Intrigued to learn what these 'Magic' pills are.....as I'm on prescribed medication I'm always wary of what l take.

Thankfully l don't suffer with sea sickness but would probably stick to the old remedies of port and brandy or ginger.....😊

I kinda disagree that dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) is the best seasickness pill - meclizine (Bonine, Sea Legs, Dramamine II amongst other trade names) has been shown in trials to be as affective at preventing nausea but generates less drowsiness. Plus you generally only need one dose per 24 hrs of meclizine; with dimenhydrinate you often need two or three.

Although I seldom suffer with seasickness any more, I carry a small supply of meclizine with me - I certainly would never go to a Reception desk and take whatever 'Magic Pills' they gave me.

But as a physician I'm fussy about what medications I take, I usually avoid them all since everything has side effects and may do more harm than good. OK, laymen don't have the luxury of that knowledge, but it is a good idea to do some research on any med. before you put it in your mouth as Miss Sophia is rightly doing.

BTW, ginger is proven to be a moderately effective remedy for seasickness provided you take an adequate dose frequently enough - it's very safe but the main drawback is that when it wears off you may feel too nauseated to take more.

Edited by jollyjones

Jolly Jones is not only a physician, she's absolutely right. The pills at Reception are meclizine. My MD son in law recommended them. Far better than Dramamine. On an earlier thread I told about my HORRIBLE experience on the old QEII. Major rough seas in the North Atlantic at the end of October. We were mysteriously ungraded to a Queen's Grill suite on a close to the highest deck. I was sick as a dog and, because of the Dramamine I was terribly sleepy. It was a miserable experience.

The meclizine tablets on SS really are Magic pills for me...and my husband, and my adult daughters. It would probably be best for everyone, especially those taking prescription meds to check with their doctors. Jolly Jones made a very good point.

Yes, sound advice. I wasn't aware that reception handed out these pills....probably because I've never needed them or even heard them mentioned on board....but for the benefit of others who may be reading this thread.....does the ships Dr have any input here and whilst not a particular issue...do they charge?

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would just accept a 'magic' pill without knowing what it is let alone take it if already on prescribed medication.

😊

The pills were labeled...in a sealed sample size envelope (2pills) The Ship's doctor is not involved unless some one is so seasick that they require a shot...of what I don't know. And yes, you bet they charge you when you see the doctor! The pills are complimentary. Work great. I have taken them, with no side effects at all... for many years.

just wondering if there is a lot of movement on the Shadow in Alaska? I've only been seasick one time but it was on a big ship in Caribbean many moons ago!!

Assuming that it is the usual 7 day Seward - Vancouver route, the time from Seward to Hubbard Glacier, and from Hubbard Glacier to the first port after wards, can be an interesting ride. Once you are close to that first port after Hubbard, it is like being on a pond (unless there is a huge storm).

I will also echo the suggestion for Bonine. I take it along with a handful of other meds, without any noticeable side effects. Check with your physician if you have underlying health issues.

Wow.

I am amazed that the reception on silversea is essentially prescribing and dispensing medication.

And a medication that is not without drug interactions or side effects.

No drug is benign and I would be cautious as Jolly said.

If you care to get Meclizine as Jolly Jones, Cruisin Pashmina, Keith1010, Zqvol, and others suggest (may want to check with your physician first about using Meclizine).

We pay $5.75 for a hundred count (25mg) bottle, pls see link below. Have used one 25mg Meclizine a day for over 300 days (more than half cruising on Silversea) at sea and have not been seasick (or drowsy) yet. However, my wife when she rarely takes a pill, takes half a pill and does get drowsy.

https://www.healthwarehouse.com/checkout/cart

Wow.

I am amazed that the reception on silversea is essentially prescribing and dispensing medication.

This truly amazes me! We can go into a pharmacy and get OTC dramamine and that is okay...also on a flight...but if reception on Silversea has them, should we ask for them then they are being "prescribed" by Silversea. I don't think so!

Wow.

What they give out is an OTC medicine in the US, you can purchase it in any pharmacy, it goes by the name of less drowsy Dramamine, a stroe brand of the same thing, or Bonine.

We disagree.

This is a drug whether an over the counter medication or not.

Reception is not a pharmacy or health care provider.

Are these drugs given with warnings?

Whether or not you agree, giving a drug to a person may be considered dispensing.

When you buy it at a pharmacy or drug store it comes with package inserts.

They describe side effects and interaction with other medications.

You are entitled to your opinions.

As a health care provider and a lawyer, I have mine.