Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Bahamas

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Is Nassau safe for a single woman?

My sister will be at this port in March, and her plan is to walk, alone, to the staircase and the fort and also stop by the market before possibly going to junkanoo beach or having lunch somewhere near the fish fry area. I have been to Nassau a few times and never felt uncomfortable about my safety, especially once we got past all the cabbies and people pushing tours BUT I have always been with other people. I am kind of worried about my sister walking around there by herself, especially with so much news about the woman who was killed in Turkey. Has anyone had any bad or dangerous experiences in Nassau? Is there much crime there? Would you (if you are a woman) walk around there alone? TIA

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids-in-2-centuries View Post
My sister will be at this port in March, and her plan is to walk, alone, to the staircase and the fort and also stop by the market before possibly going to junkanoo beach or having lunch somewhere near the fish fry area. I have been to Nassau a few times and never felt uncomfortable about my safety, especially once we got past all the cabbies and people pushing tours BUT I have always been with other people. I am kind of worried about my sister walking around there by herself, especially with so much news about the woman who was killed in Turkey. Has anyone had any bad or dangerous experiences in Nassau? Is there much crime there? Would you (if you are a woman) walk around there alone? TIA
Generally speaking .. yes, it's safe.. as long as you stay in the tourist areas and stay with others. Downtown Nassau, the market, Parliament, Hilton , Junkanoo Beach and the Fish Fry shouldn't be a problem. Even the jitney to Cable Beach is safe. But I wouldnt' walk to the Queens staircase and back without others in the area..
As with any where.. be aware of your surroundings, don't flash cash or jewelry and don't go with strangers.

Local young men are pretty slick and charming. Some make a living flirting with young women and some can be very pushy. Don't engage them and she'll be fine.

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Last year, travelling solo, I did pretty much what you describe. I felt very safe. Just make sure it's a middle-of-the-day type tour, not evening/night.