Venice- where to stay?

sr5242

Two single females traveling in August. Will either stay 3 nights before our cruise or 3 nights after (opinions?), and want to stay in the heart of things near a water taxi or at a hotel with transport

So confused by all the hotel choices!

Need advice- would love to stay in a little b & b or pensione.

Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It has been years since we have stayed in Venice proper, so I'll leave that to others. Also, there are many threads on this board discussing hotels in Venice, so just do a search for some great reading.

Since it's good policy to fly in early for a cruise, I suggest you spend a few days in Venice prior to your cruise. You might also want to consider taking a train to Florence or Rome post-cruise to spend some time. A flight to Paris for a few days before heading home is another option. Flights to/from Europe are not inexpensive, so we always maximize our time in Europe before or after a cruise.

Lew

What is your price range? If looking for somewhere lower priced, you could try the Abazzia, which is near St Lucia station (a 25 min walk to St Marks). A family relative stayed there once and said it was lovely. I believe it is priced around 200 Euros a night.

If happy to pay more, you might try the Bauer, which is near St Marks. Going rate is around 400 Euros a night and up. There is also the Danieli hotel as well.

If you are prepared to pay handsomely, you can always shell out 600 Euros and well upwards for hotels like the Cipriani or the Gritti Palace.

which hotels are you considering that have you confused ? Post your short list for feedback.

Venice is small. regardless of where you stay, the Grand Canal will be a 15 minute walk away. Where to stay often depends on how much luggage you have and how easily you can manage it. People who overpack and can't manage the bridges and vaporetto tend to stay in the Piazzale Roma area because of convenience .... it's close to the pier and Grand Canal, plus it's where buses/taxis drop off passengers. If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere.

Use the map feature for your hotel search on http://www.venere.com or http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

We are going to make a somewhat alternate suggestion. There is a small hotel (feels like an inn or B and B) located right in the Pizzale Roma called the Ca Doge. This is in a very old building and you actually have to climb steps to get up to most of the rooms. They serve a nice breakfast on the main floor. The Pizzale Roma is a convenient location in that you can get there by using the inexpensive ATVO express bus from the airport, and there is a major ACTV (Vaporetto) office and docks on the otherside of the square. There is also a small supermarket (COOP) about 2 blocks away.. where you can buy any last minute things such as soda, wine, etc. Ca Doge is pretty much run by a couple of ladies so you will feel safe and comfy. Another advantage is that the small hotel is located only a few feet from the People Mover which can take you right over to the port (only 1 Euro) assuming you are able to walk and roll your luggage. It is a little hike from the People Mover station at the port to the port terminal (no more then a 10 min walk) although they sometimes have a free shuttle jitney to get folks over to the cruise terminal building.

The down side of staying in the P Roma area is that it is pretty far to St Marks Square or Rialto. But many of us simply buy a timed Vaporetto Pass (to cover the time we are in Venice) and from the P. Roma you can get a vaporetto to anywhere in Venice of the neighboring islands.

Hank

Thanks! My question is - when I book- how can I guarantee 2 beds- most booking sites will say "double or twins". we are traveling together but not "together".....

Edited by sr5242

Santa Chiara is near the People Mover and no bridges to cross. Vapporetto stop right there. We stayed there last September.

How far was it to saint marks square? Thanks

2 years ago stayed at Santa Chiara at P Roma and enjoyed it

this year have booked Hilton Molino Stucky on island opposite St Marks with a special rate of 174 euros

the web site allows you to choose 1 or 2 bedded rooms and hotel runs a shuttle service to St Marks

it is also on the Alilaguna blu line connecting both airport and cruise port

Santa Chiara's location is in the Piazzale Roma area, the main transportation hub. We reached St. Marks by taking the Vaporetto from this stop and right up the canal past many of the famous sites. It was an enjoyable 20-25 minute ride (sit outside if you have the chance). Plus, you can get on and off of the Vape as many times as you like along the way. We found a wonderful place for lunch right off of the Rialto Bridge stop.

The People Mover from the cruise ships is a 1 minute walk, which is why I chose it. Unlike most hotels in Venice that are reached on foot by climbing many steps to cross bridges over the canals, this one is right there. If you do choose them request the main building. Our room had a view right on the canal. It is small and Roberto, the manager at the front desk will answer all of your questions.

We twice have stayed at the excellent and reasonably-priced Hotel Al Ponte De Mocenigo, always highly ranked on sister website tripadvisor. The entrance is located only 50 flat yards from the San Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal, which is an express stop. Also very convenient for some excellent local restaurants.

However, you need to book early, so you may be too late to get a room there. This past September, they totally were booked more than six months in advance and we had to stay elsewhere, which fortunately was only one small bridge from a vaporetto stop.

Edited by CintiPam