bringing vitamins onboard

HCTiger9704

I am flying into Miami, FL from New Orleans and sailing on the Norwegian Getaway. Will NCL allow me to bring a unopened bottle of One A Day VitaCraves Gummies onto the ship?

If you do not know what One A Day VitaCraves Gummies are, it falls into the same group of Flintstone vitamins.

I am just wondering why you believe they would not let you take vitamins with you on board.....??? It is not like they are illegal drugs..... ;)

I just wanted to double check to keep sure NCL didn't have some stupid rule about me bringing vitamins on the ship.

Yup- no problem. You could even bring the exact amount needed in a ziplock- I've done it both ways.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would leave them in the unopened container they come in so they don't think that it may be something illegal.

I just wanted to double check to keep sure NCL didn't have some stupid rule about me bringing vitamins on the ship.

Actually I think it is great that you do your research before the cruise starts, instead of getting "unpleasant" surprises when you want to board the ship. :)

Always better to ask many questions than ask too little!

I would leave them in the unopened container they come in so they don't think that it may be something illegal.

They don't need to be in an unopened container.

Put them in whatever you want, there is nothing to hid.

How will they even know you have them anyway?

They don't go through your things..

You can bring anything you want actually. You are not searched other than luggage scanned. And that is looking for items that could be a danger on the ship or bottles/cans that might contain alcohol. As we get older, half of our luggage seems to be pills of every type. Even hand carried, no one has ever looked at them.

Yup- no problem. You could even bring the exact amount needed in a ziplock.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is what I always do. Our vitamins are always packed in our carry-on luggage in ziplok baggies and we've never had any problems.

They don't need to be in an unopened container.

Put them in whatever you want, there is nothing to hid.

How will they even know you have them anyway?

They don't go through your things..

Actually, security will go through your things if they have a reason to search. Maybe the person in question is also a smuggler who carries rum runners in the same case with the vitamins? While vitamins are legal and perfectly acceptable to bring on in a baggie, I simply prefer to leave no doubt and leave them in the clearly marked bottle so there is no mistake in what they are. No need to take a chance when it doesn't have to be taken.

Edited by Out to sea!

To the OP (and anyone else interested) medication, and even vitamins should ALWAYS be carried/transported in their ORIGINAL bottles, and never in a zip lock, or any other type of generic pill carrier.. Being found with any type of pill in anything other then their original bottle could create problems with authorities. This is especially true with prescribed medication.

Edited by bbryan5

To the OP (and anyone else interested) medication, and even vitamins should ALWAYS be carried/transported in their ORIGINAL bottles, and never in a zip lock, or any other type of generic pill carrier.. Being found with any type of pill in anything other then their original bottle could create problems with authorities. This is especially true with prescribed medication.

I agree with leaving your vitamins in the original bottle. We cruised on the Sun in Feb this year. During cruise check in security scanned then physically went thru my husband's carryon. We have never smuggled anything so I thought "no problem". Security took my husband's stash of candy bars(almond joy) and gummy worms! Security said they were not allowed. We still are shaking our heads over this one!

Where does it say you have to keep vitamins in original containers?

What authorities are going to have problems with.

Don't just make stuff up to scare people.

Easy there cowboy.. just giving advice that could save people some headaches if caught with unidentified pills out of original bottles..

Easy there cowboy.. just giving advice that could save people some headaches if caught with unidentified pills out of original bottles..

I have been on 18 cruises and many more non-cruise trips and nobody has ever gone though my things.

All those people at the port are scanning baggage are not "authorities" in any way.

When did everyone become over-compliant and paranoid, and afraid of just about everything??

Here is a suggestion for prescription medications.

(And for those who question the reason for worrying about identifying "pills", there are many places where certain types of medications are not allowed. Therefore, the easier it is for any authorities to identify what you have - and thus rule OUT any prohibited substances (prescription or non-prescription) - the easier it will be for the person carrying them.)

A week or so before leaving on vacation, ask your pharmacist to label *small* Rx containers with the regular prescription label. Just make sure that each container will have enough room for however long you are gone, and be sure to bring some extra, in case of delays.

Then put each medication in it's own properly "pharmacy labeled" little container.

This avoids having bigger containers (which might be mostly empty, or else contain more of the medication than you could possibly use on the trip).

This could be especially useful if you need to bring some of the meds off the ship with you, for extended day excursions, when you might need to take "more".

Different countries have different restrictions about what is controlled or prohibited.

GeezerCouple

Oh, and by the way.. show me exactly where I said you HAVE to keep vitamins in original containers???? Cause I'm pretty sure I used words such as "should" and "could"... I don't understand why these forums have people like you that have to tear apart advice that some give. I know what I'm talking about on this subject, and I'm simply giving advice based on my expertise on the subject matter.

When traveling overseas, it is a good practice to carry anything in pill form in the original containers. Customs officers might not easily distinguish between prescription and non-prescription drugs in a baggy or pill container. This past year I traveled to Asia, and had my hand luggage searched at an airport. My prescription meds were in bottles, but my vitamins were in a baggy. They didn't confiscate them, but they did ask questions. It would have been easier if they'd been in the containers.

Edited by RJ2002

Oh, and by the way.. show me exactly where I said you HAVE to keep vitamins in original containers???? Cause I'm pretty sure I used words such as "should" and "could"... I don't understand why these forums have people like you that have to tear apart advice that some give. I know what I'm talking about on this subject, and I'm simply giving advice based on my expertise on the subject matter.

Your expertise is trumped by that person who has taken 18 cruises. :rolleyes:

Many people could have no issues but I'd hate to be that one person who has an issue with security!

Gummy vitamins maybe seen as candy which is what it looks like & in Some ports you cannot bring unopened foods......I'd suggest keeping it in your checked bag if you are going to just put them in a Baggie.

Anyway the op said unopened, meaning it's sealed so I don't understand why everyone is arguing over it anyway!

Edited by MCAT48

When traveling overseas, it is a good practice to carry anything in pill form in the original containers. Customers officers might not easily distinguish between prescription and non-prescription drugs in a baggy or pill container. This past year I traveled to Asia, and had my hand luggage searched at an airport. My prescription meds were in bottles, but my vitamins were in a baggy. They didn't confiscate them, but they did ask questions. It would have been easier if they'd been in the containers.

This is exactly why I offered the advice that I did.. but for some reason matj2000 had a problem with me sharing my advice.

I have been on 18 cruises and many more non-cruise trips and nobody has ever gone though my things.

That is your experience which I don't dispute. However, I'm here to tell you that it can and does happen. Most people wisely carry their meds in hand luggage. A blip on the scanner will lead to someone going through your hand luggage.