Viking Prague Extension Help!

cruisingrammie

For any of you who may have used Viking to extend your cruise in Prague (pre-or post-cruise)...What can you tell us about their "panoramic" city tour? Is it simply a bus drive around the city while they point out popular sites OR do they stop at some of the sites and, if so, which sites? We are looking at private tours of Prague but don't want to duplicate Viking's tour. Thanks for your input!

For any of you who may have used Viking to extend your cruise in Prague (pre-or post-cruise)...What can you tell us about their "panoramic" city tour? Is it simply a bus drive around the city while they point out popular sites OR do they stop at some of the sites and, if so, which sites? We are looking at private tours of Prague but don't want to duplicate Viking's tour. Thanks for your input!

In the old town, busses are not permitted. I did the Elegant Elbe last year and did a pre-cruise stay in Prague. The precruise tour was absolutely nothing - they took you to the old town and did alot of walking. We did the touring on our own and the guide was shocked that we saw as much as we did before the included pre-cruise tour.

The included tour takes you to the castle and you tour the castle grounds . (which we did entirely on our own on the precruise - well worth paying the entrance fee - lots to see at the castle).

Prague is definitely a must to see - but alot of walking involved. (Better off on your own if you are doing the pre/post cruise.

The amount they charge per person for Prague is a lot. You will get onto motor coaches for the 3+ hour drive, I think a stop for lunch is planned but not included in prce. Transfers, rooms for 3 nights, a tour adviser, 3 continental breakfast, and one very standard tour seems not a good return for a couple. A solo traveler, however, might appreciate the easy companionship.

Prague is a pedestrian town and you will walk a lot on your own, the sights are accessable and easily discovered with walking and tram systems.

Cruisegrammie,

There are a few walking tours that are very good. I'll check and post the link for the few that I know of. There are also "free" walks given by college students; free but you ARE expected to tip at the end.

Old Town is strictly walking, but pretty compact. You will do a bit of walking on cobble stones, and uphill towards the Charles bridge to Castle. Good walking shoes a necessity, trams are available, and a funicular goes to Petrin Hill for a great view.

Can't imagine what kind of tour Viking gives by bus, but if it stops for sights you will need to still do a bit of walking. I think part of the charm is walking, keeps the coffee shops in business. I stop and rest up over coffee all the time.

Murph

PS when are you traveling?

In the old town, busses are not permitted. I did the Elegant Elbe last year and did a pre-cruise stay in Prague. The precruise tour was absolutely nothing - they took you to the old town and did alot of walking. We did the touring on our own and the guide was shocked that we saw as much as we did before the included pre-cruise tour.

The included tour takes you to the castle and you tour the castle grounds . (which we did entirely on our own on the precruise - well worth paying the entrance fee - lots to see at the castle).

Prague is definitely a must to see - but alot of walking involved. (Better off on your own if you are doing the pre/post cruise.

I also did a Viking extension before an Elbe cruise and my experience was much different. However, I did not sightsee on my own before the tour. If I had, I might have also been somewhat disappointed as I am sure it would have duplicated things that I had already done. Rather, the tour was at the beginning of my visit. It was a bus trip up to the castle, and walking there. Then a bus ride down to the edge of the old town, and another walking tour there. At the conclusion, you could stay in the old town (within walking distance of the hotel) or take the bus back to the hotel. The tour was one of the best I have ever had because of an excellent guide. He talked about history, pointed out different architectural styles, gave us tips about other things we should see, and suggested various restaurants (in different price ranges) that he felt were worth visiting. He also told us about free or inexpensive cultural events, such as a concert at an old church where the tour ended. Because of him, the next two days on my own were much more interesting and organized than I am sure they would have otherwise been.

I appreciate so much all your input! We sail in June...we'll be in Prague along towards the end of June. We have booked an evening concert the second day we'll be there (at the Kementinum). We are hoping it will be amazing! I guess we will have plenty of ideas by the time we arrive, and after we've been on the Viking tour it sounds like it should be easy enough to do a lot on our own! Thanks again!

We recently used a private guide recommended to us Andrea for a private tour and she was great. Here is her email Andrejka2002@seznam.cz

Last year, we added a stay in Prague to our Viking Danube cruise. We used a guide from http://www.praguewalker.com. The owner, Katerina (Katka) Svobodova, is a colleague of Rick Steves. Using a local experienced guide was great. We learned a lot during our walks and museum visits, got some great eating tips and learned how to take public transit around town. Well recommended.

Many private tours, some using private cars, as well. Walking and trams work well in 2-3 days time for "in-town". I think the "panoramic tour" basically just includes the standard stop up on the Castle Hill which affords the panoramic view.

Archived