Need Help: Random, last minute transatlantic questions

Crouton

Any and all answers very much appreciated:

1)Do people still throw "streamers" when ships depart? If not, does anyone know if this is actually prohibited by Cunard/ports or just not typically done. (Subtext: will I get in trouble?)

2) Do they change the clocks/ship's time as the ship crosses the Atlantic, or just do it all in one fell swoop at the beginning/end?

3) On an eastbound Atlantic crossing, when do you first see land? How far (time wise) is this from Southampton? After that first sighting, do you see it pretty much off and on continually until arrival in Southampton? Is any of this announced? (subtext: I want to see!)

4) If the ship is scheduled to arrive in Southampton at 0600, will they actually wait to dock at that time if the ship is ahead of schedule....or would they go ahead and dock...assuming anyone ashore was awake/willing to help. (Subtext - I want to be up and on deck for arrival, but sleep as late as possible).

Thank you for your help.

Crouton

(I guess we need to assume that they'll do the same on QM2 as QE2 -- since QM2 has yet to officially have her "Maiden Eastbound.")

You won't see land at all unti very early in the morning of your arrival day because the ship is usually too far from land to see much until you are very close to the Southampton harbor. It's possible you might be able to see lights on shore very late at night and very early morning. Ask the staff. They do not announce land because almost everyone is asleep. Disadvantage of an early morning arrival.

The clock changes one hour per night, except for one night.

I'm not sure what the Southampton rules are about arrival but I believe they just slow the ship if they get there too early. That is what they do in NY because the longshoreman's union does not allow any docking until after 7:00 am. Well, I suppose you could actually dock but they won't catch any ropes or help tie you up or attach any hangplanks until the foreman blows the whistle. Last trip on QE2 we were practically creeping the last night so as not to arrive too early!

Hi,

You actually advance the clock one hour each day, for 5 days, so you are going to set your clock an hour ahead 5 of the 6 nights. (DOn't worry they leave a note on the pillow to remind you when they turn down the bed)

When I did the eastbound we did not see land at all the day before we docked, nor the evening before. It would have been sometime in the early morning hours that you would see something ie the Isle of Wight. While it is pretty countryside that you would possibly see it is nothing like sailing into NY harbor. MOst people sleep late and skip the early am sightseeing from the deck.

If there docking time is 0600 that is when they will dock. If they know they are going to be earlier they will just slow down to arrive at the correct time.

I'm leaving tomorrow night for the April 16 Maiden Westbound Crossing. We will be gaining time and will set our clocks back 5 nights out of the 6 nights. An extra hour to enjoy all the ship has to offer....

Bon voyage

Alas, the golden age of throwing streamers is at an end - at least from the New York harbor. I saw my mother off on the QE2 two years ago, and they wouldn't even let me go up on the roof to wave her goodbye (I only got up there because I had parked my car on the roof of Pier 90). I was practically the only one running down to the end of the pier with my little white hankerchief. This is all a security issue - they have even pulled the plugs on the all of the telephones at the passenger terminals. But hey, we will be following you down the harbor April 25th on the Circle Line, so just save the streamers and throw them our way instead. The Port Authority won't be too happy, but they're not exactly going to make you leave the ship.

Shipping Out:

I hate to invoke "The Love Boat" but even he Pacific Princess had them (even if it was TV make believe).

I still have a piece of streamer from my ancient Rotterdam cruise, pressed like a dried flower.

Jeanne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisr:

I'm leaving tomorrow night for the April 16 Maiden Westbound Crossing. We will be gaining time and will set our clocks back 5 nights out of the 6 nights. An extra hour to enjoy all the ship has to offer....Bon voyage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Bon Voyage to you, cruisr. See you at 6AM Eastern Time in New York Harbor on April 22nd!

Crouton

Thank you so much for your answers.

It's amazing how much knowing some of the key (for me) details helps everything else fall into place.

With appreciation,

Crouton

P.S. So...it sounds like streamers are not illegal, per se, just pre-empted by security considerations and perhaps otherwise discouraged. Yes?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanne S:

Shipping Out:I hate to invoke "The Love Boat" but even he Pacific Princess had them (even if it was TV make believe).I still have a piece of streamer from my ancient Rotterdam cruise, pressed like a dried flower.Jeanne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Funny you should mention "The Love Boat," Jeanne S. In my search for streamer info, I stumbled upon this amusing commentary(see "Ship Tip" #2).

Crouton

When we cruises on Oriana out of Southampton and back, we could see the English coastline the night before. The ships normally arrive very early in the morning in Southampton.

I did once an eastbound Atlantic crossing on Royal Princess from San Juan to Barcelona. Felt kind of jet lagged after having lost an hour every night :-) Westbound crossings tend to be more fun.

Hello.

On QE 2, I have done 6 westbound crossings, one 13-day eastbound to Southampton via NY/FLA/Azores/Lisbon/Le Harve (more like a crusie) and one "express" 6-day crossing from NY to S'Hampton.

I remember being surprised about how "tired" and "out of it" losing one hour each of 5 days on the "express" crossing made me... but it's still better than flying!

I also did the historic "Final" crossing of the SS Norway (ex- SS FRANCE) in September 2001... but I don't remember much about being tired... I was too stressed about the attacks that occured at home while we were mid-Atlantic, 3 days away from Europe.

By the way... in the old days (1960's-70's) on the SS FRANCE they would change the wall clocks (automatically from the bridge) by 20 minutes 3 times a day... that seems more sensible to me... esp on an eastbound crossing.

Michael

NYC icon_smile.gif

QE 2, April 25th!

Bon Voyage to all you lucky people getting ready for your voyage...wish I was going again real soon. I can only sit and stare at my big James Flood QM2 litheograph on my wall.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cusyl:

Bon Voyage to all you lucky people getting ready for your voyage...wish I was going again real soon. I can only sit and stare at my big James Flood QM2 litheograph on my wall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you, Cusyl. I will be thinking -- and perhaps even writing of you as I sign the Cruise Critic log in the QM2 library (under the librarian's desk, just ask, they know all about it icon_smile.gif).

And there is at least one other thing you could do: go to the Barnes & Noble website and buy John Maxtone-Graham's magnificent Queen Mary 2 coffee table book (see related thread). I think you'll be right back on the ship again.

Bon voyage!

Crouton

P.S. And there's that Discovery QM2 special coming up as well! Lots to keep you busy -- especially if you have to order cable. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bring the streamers - people usually do not know to bring them as the lines no lomger provide them.

I believe they stopped using them for "environmental " reasons.

Buy enough to hand out to those around you - its fun(I've done it).

We think alike in this area, Rotterdam: I've already ordered the streamers. icon_wink.gif

________

I have another QM2 question:

Does anyone know if there is direct access from the 11 Deck cabin hallways to the forward outdoor observation deck at the same level?

I was just looking at the deck plans, and it's not clear.

Thanks,

Crouton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by good10to10go10:

Crouton, where do you order streamers from?

I want some!!!

I have been lurking on the board and you have had some very interesting & informative posts. We are from Dallas and will on the QM2 next Sunday as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your kind words: they are very nice to hear. I'm glad you'll be aboard.

Here are two very different streamer sites:

Shingigz is a party goods site. If you type "streamers" in their seach engine you will get back quite a load of stuff. I ordered the "patriotic" ones just for the red, white, and blue. The crepe paper is useless when wet and the poly vinyl is not environmentally friendly -- so I'll have to plan a little, depending.

x-streamers mainly sells "cannon loaded" (!) streamers, but you can break the roles up. I bought some of the hand held (attached) ones and one role of mixed color streamers. I think the tissue streamers will be biodegradable. This guy was very helpful on the phone, and he's in Connecticut so he can mail them and they'll get to your hotel (assuming) in NYC very quickly.

Regular old bon voyage streamers were hard, but not impossible to find. If the above isn't what you're looking for, try google.

Happy hunting, and see you on the 25th.

Crouton

Archived