New Guy - Solo Traveller - Advice Please

theri2015

If you want to meet other single people to dine you could look at the single cabins on the new NCL ships - unfortunately they are all inside cabins but they have a dedicated lounge where people meet before dinner....at least they did on the cruise I was on.

Adidas4fun has the good advice: depending on the company it goes under different names, but choose the dining option where you can dine at any time. Then ask to sit at a table for at least 6. You can meet new people every night, and if you meet someone you want to see some more, just go to dinner together and you can ask for a table for 2 that night. There is certainly no reason you have to eat alone.

Theri2015, you might find some useful information is this articel I saw today: http://******************/blog/2015/11/holiday-cruise-planning-for-lgbt-travelers/

Tom.Kitten, keep in mind that those new people don't know you, may find you very interesting, and unless you make an effort, you will never see them again once you leave the ship at the end. No need for being all that nervous.

I usually cruise as a solo and always met people to dine with. If there are GLBT meetings hit the first one and most times you end up hanging out with a great group of guys who tend to eat together. With the "eat when you want" service you go whenever you want and if you show up alone they will ask if you want to be seated with a large table. The only time I sometimes eat alone is if I make a reservation at a specialty restaurant before I get onboard and see what's going on, I now usually just wait until I see what the landscape is before hitting them.

I, too, am taking my first solo cruise (Dec. 7 on Celebrity Constellation) and I'm a little nervous about dining as well; I think I'll be fine all other times because I'm also looking for "me" time and wanna focus on myself and relaxation and catching up on a lot of reading by the pool. Only major downfall thus far is the singles supplement charge: lame! :-)

I understand that the singles supplement on Azamara is very reasonable. Dining in the main dining room is casual and you just walk in, and you can be seated at a table with others. Of if you meet folks along the way, you can assemble a group. There are usually other LGBT folks on board, and often a LGBT meet-up early on. On Cunard there is a LGBT meet-up each evening at 5:00, but dining is a bit more complicated. On Cunard you can be placed at a table with other folks traveling solo or couples wanting to meet others.

I know the OP expressed hesitation about dining alone and all the other posts certainly are supportive of ways to hopefully dine with others. But I would also like to encourage the OP that it's not the end of the world to dine alone on a cruise. I've done it many times and on every cruise I see solos dining alone. So if it works out that you are solo for a meal, don't give it a second thought. I've eaten solo in main dining rooms, the buffet, and at specialty restaurants. I often take a book to read if I'm so inclined, but I also sometimes just sit and enjoy my ability to do whatever I want to do.

I know the OP expressed hesitation about dining alone and all the other posts certainly are supportive of ways to hopefully dine with others. But I would also like to encourage the OP that it's not the end of the world to dine alone on a cruise. I've done it many times and on every cruise I see solos dining alone. So if it works out that you are solo for a meal, don't give it a second thought. I've eaten solo in main dining rooms, the buffet, and at specialty restaurants. I often take a book to read if I'm so inclined, but I also sometimes just sit and enjoy my ability to do whatever I want to do.

I'm new to cruising, so can't speak to it in that context, but going out to a nice dinner by myself is one of my favorite indulgences. I save long-form New Yorker articles just for such occasions.

I went solo on NCL Breakaway and met folks thru the singles meetings. Ate dinner most nites with some of them. Breakfast and lunch I enjoyed alone time.

I'll be going on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the seas next sept, again solo. No single supplement, in a studio inside. I'll just bring a kindle if I don't meet anyone or choose not to eat with others. I find the going to a bar or out to dance way harder than eating alone. But you'll be fine. It's a great way to enjoy total "me" time!

Last month I took my first solo cruise.... I too felt nervous about dining alone. I did what others said... I asked to be seated at a large tale. By the end of the first night... I met a lot of people. I never once felt like that "lonely guy". I have to say I think I enjoyed solo more than all the other cruises I have been on. I did what I want when I wanted. I also joined the roll call on here and on FB. I helped organize a meet and greet for the group and was active on the roll call postings. In fact.... I made a couple of good friends. We are now working on a booking to meet again on another cruise. You only feel alone if you want to feel alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

Hey! I am considering this cruise. I would be traveling solo as well. I tried to see if any friends could travel during that time...no luck. However, I still want to go. Do you already have a dining preference picked?

Adam

Edited by Fly2Work

Look for the LGBT (or Friends of Dorothy) meetings aboard. They will be listed in the daily planner and/or on the bulletin board (usually near guest services, but if you don't see a board, ask where it is). If you don't see meeting either place, then post your own notice on the bulletin board with a time/location to meet (that's what the board is there for).

Talk to the cruise director's staff. They're all over the ship and have a good feel for who's aboard. Let them know your situation, and ask for advice about where to meet people. The same goes for the dining room. When you board, go to the dining room, and ask if they can seat you with other solo travelers or gay couples.

Also, use your gaydar...you'll notice others aboard, and it's very easy to start chatting with people on a cruise...small-talk comes easy.... Where are you from? Do you cruise often? Have you been to this port before? Have you been on this ship before? etc.

Edited by ehfl