Pennsylvania Hotel, NYC

bb2842

[SIZE=3]Hi Everyone,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Can someone tell me that the Pennsylvania Hotel is not as bad as the reviews on here and Trip Advisor have indicated? I'm part of a group and that is the hotel we are staying at for 3 nights before the cruise on the Victory. The reviews do not make me feel good at all. I know the location is good but that seems to be the only good thing reported about this hotel. Thanks[/SIZE]

A true dump. The Howard Johnson's diagonally across the street is better and it is pretty bad. I stayed there part of one night a couple years ago and bailed out about 11PM to the HoJo's. The NOISE was unbelievable. TV only had three channels working, so couldn't even drown out the noise with anything pleasant. Even the pay phone didn't work when I tried to call HoJo's. I left my cell charger in NJ.

The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.

Since it is a group, you may just have to make the best of it. Was this a TA booking????

I've only walked by this hotel, never stepped inside.

After seeing the photos on Trip Advisor, I'm glad I stayed on the sidewalk. Horrid!

I would suggest to your group that you cancel and rebook. It seems the majority of Manhattan hotels allow you to cancel up to 24 hours before check in.

If the group didn't want to change hotels, I'd surely back out of the group and go my separate way. Good luck.

[quote name='greatam']The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.[/quote]
I had my phone card number lifted by one of the "spotters" in the lobby, back before I had a cell phone. Ironically, I went there to make a call because I was worried about the "spotters" in Penn Station! I do understand that a number of rooms have been renovated, though I'm not sure whether it's a majority. My office has hosted meetings in some of the meeting rooms without a problem.

Yes it is a dump

However, you get what you pay for, and it usually is the best deal in town. i have stayed there twice, and both times I was enjoying the sights and activities in NYC, and only cared that I had a bed to lay my head down on. It served its purpose. There is a very good Irish bar out the side door by the "gift shop", try it out! Excellent food!

[quote name='nauticaz24']Yes it is a dump. i have stayed there twice, and both times I was enjoying the sights and activities in NYC, and only cared that I had a bed to lay my head down......[/quote]

Ooooh, but that's exactly it for me! I would never want to [B]lay my head down. :eek: [/B]

I stayed there once and was also very concerned about the reviews. They messed up my reservation (I was there for a convention and they had my reservation under a different name. Once they got it straightened out it was fine). The room was a little small but clean, safe, and very convenient. I would do it again.

[quote name='bb2842'][SIZE=3]Hi Everyone,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Can someone tell me that the Pennsylvania Hotel is not as bad as the reviews on here and Trip Advisor have indicated? I'm part of a group and that is the hotel we are staying at for 3 nights before the cruise on the Victory. The reviews do not make me feel good at all. I know the location is good but that seems to be the only good thing reported about this hotel. Thanks[/SIZE][/quote]

Well, it is historic. This is where Glenn Miller played before WW II in New York; you've heard of his great swing number Pennsylvania 6-5000? That was the hotel's phone number, and it still is according to their web site.

Doc

[quote name='greatam']A true dump. The Howard Johnson's diagonally across the street is better and it is pretty bad. I stayed there part of one night a couple years ago and bailed out about 11PM to the HoJo's. The NOISE was unbelievable. TV only had three channels working, so couldn't even drown out the noise with anything pleasant. Even the pay phone didn't work when I tried to call HoJo's. I left my cell charger in NJ.

The amount of people in the lobby (that are not hotel guests) will give you the creeps. I have been in th Penn numerous times as one of our customers has offices in the block. Seems like everyone on 34th St. finds their way to the lobby.

Since it is a group, you may just have to make the best of it. Was this a TA booking????[/quote]

Worse than HoJo's...OUCH!!! :eek: I'd find somewhere else to stay and try to get credit from TA (I know it's a hard thing).

Good luck!

[quote name='DocF']Well, it is historic.[/quote]

Historic, and soon to be history. The current owner (Vornado Realty Trust) plans to demolish it and build an office tower as part of the redevelopment of the Penn Station/Madison Square Garden complex.

Archived