Live from the Galapagos on Silversea November 5-12

RachelG

Rachel

Thank you so much for the detailed report.

Questions follow:

What would the best time if year to visit?

There are 2 different 7 day cruises are they very different?

Did you take water proof leggings and jacket?

Thanks for your sterling work.

Joe

We have been in November and in June. It was warmer and sunnier in June, but our weather was mostly good this trip. It did pour rain on us at the tortoise place in June. Water was colder this trip. The hottest month Is February.

The foliage is really dry now as it is the end of the dry season, so it was prettier in June, but we saw more baby birds and baby sea lions this time.

The two trips are totally different but I think either would be great.

I did take a water resistant wind breaker, but not water proof pants. I don' think you would need those, but the windbreaker is a must.

You mentioned several times that the ship was rocky or "very rocky" at night. Is this typical throughout the year, or was your June cruise less so? We are going in January. I have seasickness medication which I will definitely take.

Nanci, It is a small ship, so even on fairly calm seas, there is going to be some motion. There is definitely more motion than on a ship that holds 500+ passengers. I remember the same thing on our voyages on Silver Explorer and xpedition. I don't think time of year is a factor in this instant. There weren't any big storms. I would say to take precaution if you are sensitive.

• 6 months later...

I have been searching for a cruise to Galapagos that covers Feb. 4 (birthday) and your blog was so informative. But I am now wondering if I can handle it. I will be 80 although I am reasonably active and in good health. I do seem to have a problem with balance though and am wary about walking on uneven rocky terrain. (I live in a rural area in Hawaii and my own property is lava and uneven for walking. Just try to take it slow.) This sounds so perfect though so would be willing to chance it.

My questions are: Might I have problems on excursions or getting on and off the Zodiac? And do you know of any Galapagos cruises that are end of January to beginning of February? I would hope there is nice enough weather - over 70 to mid 80s would be perfect.

Silver Galapagos sails year round and the weather does not vary much. Drier in the months May- October. SIlversea organise two levels of walk and are very careful with their guests as they step into the zodiacs.

It is a magical place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been on two expeditions,neither of them to the Galapagos. But I have done wet and dry landings and can attest to the crews assistance.

They are there to help you and teach you how to get in and out of the zodiacs.

The crew is also attuned to the pax physical abilities.

I wouldn't hesitate to go again, anywhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been searching for a cruise to Galapagos that covers Feb. 4 (birthday) and your blog was so informative. But I am now wondering if I can handle it. I will be 80 although I am reasonably active and in good health. I do seem to have a problem with balance though and am wary about walking on uneven rocky terrain. (I live in a rural area in Hawaii and my own property is lava and uneven for walking. Just try to take it slow.) This sounds so perfect though so would be willing to chance it.

My questions are: Might I have problems on excursions or getting on and off the Zodiac? And do you know of any Galapagos cruises that are end of January to beginning of February? I would hope there is nice enough weather - over 70 to mid 80s would be perfect.

Hi goddessofchaos,

Love the lava walks that you can take all over Hawaii! We've walked the lava trails on Maui, South of Makena. We have done a bunch of lava walks through Volcanoes NP, and also through some a'a fields on the Kona coast.

Most of the Galapagos hikes are easier than those walks. There are one or two that might be comparable but I think it's more pahoehoe lava than a'a.

Which island do you live on? We love the rural areas, away from the crowds of tourists.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I was just getting ready to say that if you can do lava walks in Hawaii, the Galapagos should be no problem. Only one of the walks was really what I would call a true lava walk, and a lot of people just did the beach that afternoon. Getting on and off the ship in the zodiac is usually really easy as the crew helps you so much. They do this all the time and are expert. Sometimes a wet landing is a little tricky, but they again will help you and you should have no worries. There were people in their 80s on our cruise and they did fine. I would not hesitate to go again!

Hi RACHEL: My wife & I are booked for silversea Galapagos in December. I know for sure we need Keen water shoes but I noticed you also packed hiking boots. Would you recommend? Thanks.

Hi RACHEL: My wife & I are booked for silversea Galapagos in December. I know for sure we need Keen water shoes but I noticed you also packed hiking boots. Would you recommend? Thanks.

I brought both water shoes and hiking boots.

The water shoes were great for most things, but the boots were for when we went to the tortoise places and the lava hike. For the tortoise farms, you will be stepping in large quantities of tortoise poop. I would not want to do that in water shoes. There was a guy spraying us off with a high pressure hose just as soon as we were on the ship.

Hi Rachel - I don't read Cruise Critic very often, but I came here today to see if there are posts about car rentals in Reykjavík.

I didn't know you did this trip report while we were in the Galapagos. I just read through it all and it brought back great memories of the trip! See you soon for another awesome adventure!

Kim

Hi Rachel - I don't read Cruise Critic very often, but I came here today to see if there are posts about car rentals in Reykjavík.

I didn't know you did this trip report while we were in the Galapagos. I just read through it all and it brought back great memories of the trip! See you soon for another awesome adventure!

Kim

We are planning on renting a car in Reykjavik. From Sixt. Message me on FB