Port Douglas Hotels

SUZYHOFF

Does anyone have suggestions for lodging in Port Douglas? We will be there next March pre-cruise for about 5 days. Hoping to get a place with kitchen. Three couples are traveling together, so it would be great to find a reasonable place, good location, with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. We will not have a car. Am I dreaming? Thanks for any help.

There is an iconic Australian movie called "The Castle" with the catch line "Tell 'em they're dreamin' " In your case you are probably not dreaming. :)

I have had friends stay at Coconut Grove, which is on the main street of Port Douglas, about 5-10 minutes walk from the "action". The problem will be three bathrooms I think not the three bedrooms. Be prepared for sticker shock as everything is expensive in Australia.

Here is a link: http://www.coconutgroveportdouglas.com.au/

But if you Google holiday apartments Port Douglas you'll come up with more.

Good luck.

We have stayed in Port Douglas many times and always in serviced apartments (which is another common name for holiday apartments). Our last two stays were at a serviced apartment complex called "At the Mango Tree" and we enjoyed it very much.

If you are not going to have a car, then I would strongly recommend that you find accommodations in the town itself or within walking distance of the town. I believe there is a private bus that operates from the hotels located at some distance from town, but it's expensive and time consuming.

A good resource for finding serviced apartments and reading reviews of them is on Trip Advisor. If you are not familiar with their site, go to the Australia forum. The select "Port Douglas" under "Jump to a more specific forum". Then go to the top of the page and click on the Port Douglas tab. Click on "Port Douglas Hotels" and then select "Specialty Lodging". You'll find reviews of 52 different serviced apartments.

Hey PDX'r .....I am going to Port Douglas in Oct. and we are staying near Four Mile Beach at a place called Beach Terraces. It is also walking distance to the main street. They have 3 bedroom units, not sure how many bathrooms. These are fully equipped. I found this on trip advisor under "specialty lodging". This property is middle of the road for pricing.

Hi Suzyhoff, we have travelled to Port Douglas each year for the past several years, we love it. On each occasion we have stayed at Mandalay Apartments. They have 3 bedroom apartments and are beautiful and extremely well equipped with a full kitchen and laundry facilities within the apartment. The apartments are a 5-8 minute walk from the "town" and across the road from 4 mile beach. In fact we have just returned from 10 days at Mandalay.

http://www.mandalay.com.au

Hope you enjoy Port Douglas as much as we do. Also, if you intend to visit the Great Barrier Reef we have also done this (again several times) through Aquarius cruises. They visit the Low Isles where we swam with the Green Turtles - just magic.

Vicki.

• 2 weeks later...

Sue...Why didn't you email me???? We love Port Douglas and loved the Peninsula hotel. Look at it. I have brochures if you need me to scan it and email it to you? How are you plans coming? I still wish you were going with us in November.

So glad u booked Mandalay, I'm sure u will not be disappointed. Please let Raelene, Denise or Pauline know that Vicki from Canberra, Australia recommended Mandalay. They are all wonderful ladies & we have known Raelene for over 10 years! Enjoy tropical North Queensland & your time in Australia!

Vicki.

Archived