Book a Cruise to Cuba on HAL!?

keeponcruising

I was on HAL website a few days ago and I saw a cruise to Cuba as an option. I thought in that split second, well maybe HAL is moving forward since Obama was there with CEO's of American companies. I should have known better. I clicked on the link and was brought to Fathom website. Has anyone else seen this? I've never seen cross advertising before.

Fathom is the website for cruising with a conscience. They go to ports where you spend part of the time volunteering. Cuba was supposed to be on their routes eventually but I haven't looked it up in ages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Fathom is the website for cruising with a conscience. They go to ports where you spend part of the time volunteering. Cuba was supposed to be on their routes eventually but I haven't looked it up in ages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The cruises to Dominican Republic are the volunteerism cruises. Cuba cruises are set up to be "person to person cultural exchange" experiences, which is one of the categories that has been approved for US citizens for a few years. It will be interesting to see if Fathom changes the nature of the Cuba cruises if rules are relaxed.

They are very expensive.

Not the big image that cycles through at the top but the smaller images that cycle, one has a woman with a yellow background and it says "Cuba? Book Now" Then it leads to Fathom as you say... I think THAT approach is a little misleading and tacky, although Carnival obviously wants to get the word out every way they can that yes they do have a brand that can do it.

Compare this approach to Princess' website which has a spot front and center that says "Sail to Cuba! on our sister line Fathom. Book here." THAT is informative and you know exactly what to expect. As they use different images I have no doubt Carnival Corp (or maybe smaller with Holland America GROUP) said to put something about it, but they got to pick the image and phrasing... HAL's sucks... they could learn from Princess in this

Edit: Seabourn has something on their home page as well.

Edit again: Also Carnival, so not just HAL Group

P&O Cruises Australia didn't have anything nor does Cunard, but their citizens have not had the issues going there that we have had.

Edited by InTheWASide

I think some more things may have to fall in place for this to happen.

They do have permission from both the US and Cuba to do this. My concern is how they're going to work out logistics for tours for 700 people. How are they going to troop 700 people through an artist's studio? Or give 700 people lunch at a "family-owned in-home restaurant"???

Congress has not lifted the embargo and it is my impression until that happens, Executive Orders can only go so far and it stops by permitting open and free travel with all restrictions removed. There are many categories under which Americans can visit Cuba now but a cruise without the work/education etc factor, Not yet.

How are they going to troop 700 people through an artist's studio? Or give 700 people lunch at a "family-owned in-home restaurant"???

Cuba actually has a fairly well-developed tourist infrastructure which Canadians and Europeans have been visiting for years. My guess is that Americans will have lunch at the Hotel Nacional in Havana and see some of the all-inclusive resorts in other parts of the island. Artist's studios? They'll probably build one just for tours, like some of the glass-blowing places in Italy.

Edited by Langoustine

Congress has not lifted the embargo and it is my impression until that happens, Executive Orders can only go so far and it stops by permitting open and free travel with all restrictions removed. There are many categories under which Americans can visit Cuba now but a cruise without the work/education etc factor, Not yet.

As of March 21, Carnival Corp. received permission from the Cuban gov't to start sailing to Cuba starting the first week in May. US approval (Congress) has been in place for some time. EM

Since the "Cuba" promotion scrolls across the HAL homepage, it is easy to miss. I saw it yesterday and was disappointed to see it was for fathom.

05c2d6a9b8c27d7b50311e6aa71c1448.jpg

Yes, that is what I saw and I clicked on the image and was transferred to Fathom website.

As of March 21, Carnival Corp. received permission from the Cuban gov't to start sailing to Cuba starting the first week in May. US approval (Congress) has been in place for some time. EM

Yes, Carnival Corp, not Carnival Cruises. fathom is the Carnival Corp line approved for travel to Cuba. Congress has not given any approval for this, Congress has, however, maintained the embargo and travel restrictions for going to Cuba.

Here is a quote from the Embassy of the US in Havana's website:

"Tourist travel to Cuba is not yet authorized by current U.S. law. There are however, twelve categories of people who may visit Cuba without incurring a violation of the travel restrictions. In all 12 existing categories of authorized travel, travel previously authorized by specific license will be authorized by general license, subject to appropriate conditions. This means that individuals who meet the conditions laid out in the regulations will not need to apply for a license to travel to Cuba.

These 12 categories include: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

The Department of Treasury, not the U.S. Embassy in Havana, will make a determination if you meet the requirements of a specific category. If you believe your visit meets one of the above categories, please contact the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in the Department of the Treasury:"

Note that this is not a State Department ruling, but a Treasury Department rule, as the actual travel restriction is on whether or not you can spend money in Cuba, and its hard to travel there without spending any money.

fathom has been issued a general license by the Treasury Department, and has now received clearance from the Cuban government, so they can conduct cruises within the "support for the Cuban people" which is where the "cultural exchange" theme of the cruise is covered.

I wouldn't expect Congress to lift the Embargo before the November Elections but we will see. I hope they lift it now.

The Embargo is still in place.

Edited by sail7seas

Cuba actually has a fairly well-developed tourist infrastructure which Canadians and Europeans have been visiting for years. My guess is that Americans will have lunch at the Hotel Nacional in Havana and see some of the all-inclusive resorts in other parts of the island. Artist's studios? They'll probably build one just for tours, like some of the glass-blowing places in Italy.

See the post quoted below. Except for some walking tours in historic sites, Fathom is not a tourist trip. The purpose of the Fathom trip is people-to-people experiences, and there are no mentions of visiting hotel restaurants or resorts. The website does describe a typical day that includes lunch at a "family-owned in-home restaurant." I've also seen mentions of visits to a school, a family-owned pottery. They want to take people to small businesses and venues. To borrow a line from HAL's promotional blurbs, they want to provide an "authentic experience."

Yes, Carnival Corp, not Carnival Cruises. fathom is the Carnival Corp line approved for travel to Cuba. Congress has not given any approval for this, Congress has, however, maintained the embargo and travel restrictions for going to Cuba.

Here is a quote from the Embassy of the US in Havana's website:

"Tourist travel to Cuba is not yet authorized by current U.S. law. There are however, twelve categories of people who may visit Cuba without incurring a violation of the travel restrictions. In all 12 existing categories of authorized travel, travel previously authorized by specific license will be authorized by general license, subject to appropriate conditions. This means that individuals who meet the conditions laid out in the regulations will not need to apply for a license to travel to Cuba.

These 12 categories include: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

The Department of Treasury, not the U.S. Embassy in Havana, will make a determination if you meet the requirements of a specific category. If you believe your visit meets one of the above categories, please contact the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in the Department of the Treasury:"

Note that this is not a State Department ruling, but a Treasury Department rule, as the actual travel restriction is on whether or not you can spend money in Cuba, and its hard to travel there without spending any money.

fathom has been issued a general license by the Treasury Department, and has now received clearance from the Cuban government, so they can conduct cruises within the "support for the Cuban people" which is where the "cultural exchange" theme of the cruise is covered.

This is correct. At the moment, I cannot book a trip to Cuba to go to a resort and go sightseeing on my own. There have been land-based tours for Americans for a few years, but they all fit into one of those 12 mandated categories.

I did some research into the cruise options this winter when Fathom, Haimark, and Pearl were touting their cruises with the caveat that permission had not yet been granted. Fathom does have permission to take Americans to Cuba, but passengers MUST take part in the "cultural exchange" tours. There is no free time to go to the beach, etc. And you can't opt to just hang out on the ship. You sign up for the whole deal, according to the Fathom rep I spoke to.

Fathom does have permission to take Americans to Cuba, but passengers MUST take part in the "cultural exchange" tours. There is no free time to go to the beach, etc. And you can't opt to just hang out on the ship. You sign up for the whole deal, according to the Fathom rep I spoke to.

Yes, I understand. I was speaking about what will probably be the situation once the embargo is completely lifted. For another thing, I suspect the price of a cruise to Cuba will plummet once that happens; the prices right now are very high because of the "cultural exchange" component. BTW, Americans have been flouting the travel restrictions for years, flying from Canada, the Bahamas, Mexico, Europe, etc., aided by Cuban immigration agents who never stamped their passports.

Edited by Langoustine

Cuba Cruises has been going there for years (does a 7 day circumnavigation) and MSC is homeporting in Havana this winter. Millions of Canadians and Europeans go there every year. They are dredging the harbour to prepare for larger ships - I think the MSC Opera is the biggest so far. It is a fabulous, beautiful country with very friendly and happy people. We have also been to Vietnam and China. You don't have to agree with how another country is governed to visit it. It's not contagious lol

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Plan-Book/Cruise-Detail.aspx?cruiseid=OX20160329HAVHAV

Beautiful Cuba http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/unseen-cuba-first-aerial-photographs-reveal-islands-spectacular-beauty-1501542

Edited by Christine Frances