Luggage et al

pick117

If you stick to 26 inch bags, you won't go over the 50 lb. limit. We have stuffed them and gotten on the scale and even with heavy shoes, it is just under 50 lb. If you go over, it is a flat $25 charge. I always suggest taking two bags instead of one over 26 inches. If you go Business Class to a country and have to take a small plane while in that country, you are subject to that airline's rules which might not be 70 lbs. If in doubt, call the airlines you will be using. We have even had carry-on bags taken from us. So, keep jewelry and meds in your purse. We now bought small carry-on bags on wheels which will fit in all the boxes the airlines display. This is very important in foreign countries -- in the U.S., the gate people look the other way. Also, make or buy some kind of different wool pompom to identify your suitcases.

Sheila

If you go Business Class to a country and have to take a small plane while in that country, you are subject to that airline's rules which might not be 70 lbs.

Sheila

Good info Sheila, but one small clarification.

Travelers are exempt from the luggage guidelines for a foreign airline's limits if it's part of a connecting flight. IOW, if you fly from the US to Europe and have to change planes in Europe to a foreign carrier, you are not bound by that 2nd airline's guidelines. Of course, if you book it as a separate flight within Europe, then you do.

Hi Joan and Claudia,

We have the most problems when we travel on a land tour. We got to Hong Kong in 2004 after traveling Business Class where we were allowed 70 lbs., but when we had to take some smaller airplanes to get to Hanoi, Cambodia and Thailand, we had weight restrictions. So we have been traveling with smaller bags (26 inch) and not taking as much clothes as we did in the past. Yes, checking with the airline you are taking is really important.

Another tip which is important is NOT to have your home address on your luggage tags. We give the office address so that a thief won't know your home is empty.

Sheila

For many years we have used our Travel Agent's business address on

luggage tags. But with computers could probably google our names and State or nearby hometown. And we have good neighbors and an everyday kitty sitter.

Be careful with the weight limits, even if using connecting flights, if the airlines are different. We flew from Christchurch to Auckland on Air New Zealand, connecting to a Quantas flight to Los Angeles. When we checked in, in Christchurch, they imposed the domestic limits, claiming we were not connecting to an Air New Zealand flight, so it was purely domestic. Cheap trick to extort a few bucks.

I emailed Tauck Tours, who books about 80 people a week on that flight and forwarded a copy to Air New Zealand, suggesting that Tauck switch the flight to Quantas, who has one leaving at a similar time. I was shocked that I never received a reply from Tauck, but got one from Air New Zealand saying that they were refunding the penalty they charged us.

Dear Benita,

We have taken over 11 Tauck Tours and are booked on two more for 2007. If you left with Tauck's group from Christchurch to Auckland, you should have been weighed in with the "group weighin". We found out that some people have less weight and some have more, so it usually evens out and they look the other way for Tauck. Glad you got your money back from the Airlines, but I would write a letter to Robin Tauck. She always answers!! Don't leave it to the person who reads the emails.

Sheila

We had the group weighins throughout Australia, but the tour director left earlier in the day to get back to Australia. We had the transfers to the airport and then were on our own.

When we were on the Australia/New Zealand Tauck Tour, our tour director left us the last night we were in Christchurch. We were on our own for dinner. Well, several people on our tour had too much to drink and created a disturbance in the fancy dining room where we had our "Farewell" dinner. It was very embarrassing to the rest of us and wouldn't have happened if the tour director had been there. I don't think the hotel was too happy with Tauck that night since our group spoiled the other guests' dinner. One of our friends got very ill with an ear infection and the tour director for the three week tour got them a doctor and arranged with the hotel for them to stay for three days instead of going on to Fiji. We all wrote to Tauck to tell them how upsetting it was to have our tour director leave us before the tour ended.

Sheila

I guess due to the length of the trip, the tour director needs to leave either the night before, or early the morning of departure to get back to Sydney for the next group. I did not mind - they had good arrangements to get us to the airport. The problem was with Air New Zealand. I wanted to make Tauck aware of it, so they could warn people about having to go with the domestic luggage limits, or better yet, switch to a different airline. I received a reply to my email the day after I sent it to Tauck that they would forward it to the person in charge of that department within Tauck and never heard from them again.

The airlines have pretty much standardized the baggage allowance across all airlines and all destinations. It used to vary a lot by airline and also by destination (e.g. domestic vs international).

Normally, the maximum baggage allowance is as follows:

Checked Baggage: 2 pieces per passenger. Each piece must weigh less than 50lbs., and the total dimensions (length, width and depth) be less than 62".

Carry On Baggage: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) allows passengers to carry onboard their flight one small piece of luggage plus one small personal item, such as a purse, briefcase, laptop or small daypack. This program is called "one plus one."

Usually, the "small" piece of luggage must have total dimensions (length, width and depth) of less than 50", and weigh 25lbs or less.

Remember, too, that this is on a "space available" basis, and you might have to check your carry-on if no space is available (due to space being used up or type of aircraft)

Variations

1. First Class passengers often have an increased weight limit of 70lbs versus 50lbs.

2. Elite members of the airline Frequent Flyer Program (or its alliances)often have either an increased weight limit of 70lbs or may check a third 50lb bag.

3. Some routes (e.g. US-Japan) may have increased limits (70lb vs 50lb)

4. Carry-on limitations tend to be more restrictive in Europe.

5. Internal flights in foreign countries might have more restricitve limits. This is particularly true when those flights are not part of an outbound or inbound (to the US) leg.

Bottom-line - You should be safe with (2) 50lb bags and a carry-on. However, check with your specific carrier for your specific flights, given your specific status and your specific destination.

Once in the cabins how well is luggage stored?

Will a 26 inch suitcase fit under the bed? is there room in the "closet" without taking up all the space? what is the best game plan??

Thanks!

Our suitcases always fit under the bed. All four of them were the maximum size allowed by the airlines.

However, two factors come into play:

1. How deep is the case? (How long or wide has little bearing on fitting under the bed)

2. Is it a hard sided suitcase, or does it have a little "give'?

Archived