How to avoid tipping in Miami port?

elifnena

Hi,

I;ve cruise out of miami before an the port people can be berry pushy, is there a way we can walk our luggage to the place where they need to go? or do the workers need to take you luggage? How much do we tip if we cant avoid it?

thanks

well, it IS the porters job to take your luggage and get it on the ship - they are 'stevedores' - there job is 'loading cargo'.

I usually tip $2 per bag or $5

you can avoid the tip by carrying everything on yourself. I could but choose not to. In some ports there are big signs that say 'tipping not required' or even permitted. I tip anyway. And pay AAA for break down insurance, and have health and dental insurance, and life insurance . . . you probably get my point.

btw - I've never experienced a stevedore being pushy in any port. I guess I was just ahead of the curve . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

I agree with the CAPT - porters in every port I've cruised from have always been friendly and helpful to me. $5 seems like a small price and not enough to worry about compared to the cost of the cruise and my bar bill. :o

Good luck! :)

oops

sorry .... CC rules will not allow me to correct my grammatical boo boo.

and if you say the stev' is paid a salary and does not need my tips .... FINE. I occasionally get a tip at my retirement job, I donate them elsewhere, but if the stev' makes more than I do cuz of the tips .... more power to them. I'd like to get into their union . . .

On 30 cruises out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale ports I've never come across a pushy porter. It is customary to tip $2 per bag. If you don't want to tip bring carry-on size luggage and bring it on yourself. I assume it has to fit in the security scanners to carry it on.

You can choose to tip what you want. $1-$2 a bag is typical, I'd think. But we have seen some not tipping and no one bugged them. We keep folded singles in our outside pockets and have them ready as needed.

I have not seen a place at the port where you can just drop off the luggage yourself.

You would have to hand it over to a porter.

Keith

sorry, I thought I covered that .... the stev's job IS to take your bags to the ship . . . .

"loading cargo"

to wit .. my comment about UNION .... :rolleyes:

I don't think the OP is talking about the porters at the luggage check in, where you drop off your bags to be loaded on the ship.

Sometimes there are also porters who show up when you unload from the taxi, and they want to transport your bags 50 feet or so to the luggage check in, and then you might be expected to tip both of them. You may also see them with a cart after you clear customs and claim your bags. Then they want to transport your bags 100 ft or so to the taxi stand or curbside. I just tell them thanks, but we don't need any help.

I;ve cruise out of miami before an the port people can be berry pushy, is there a way we can walk our luggage to the place where they need to go? or do the workers need to take you luggage? How much do we tip if we cant avoid it?

I will answer your question without judgement. We have cruised out of Miami several times and no, you cannot handle the bags yourself - you must give them to a porter. They will be there to help you when you get out of the cab or off the shuttle, however you arrive at the Port of Miami.

The decision is yours whether to tip, but we round up and give them $5.00 for 2 bags.

The porters we have encountered at Miami (and everywhere, actually) have been wonderful. I absolutely believe if you give them a smile, treat them in a friendly manner and with respect and courtesy, you will receive it back.

In SFO the porter took my bags a off he went before DH could get the tip from his pocket ...so not all porters stand there with their hand out ...only in Miami ;)

Well, in Tampa the Porter flat out told me he accepts tips:rolleyes: DH normally tips, he left to park the car, and I was with the luggage. Yea, I tipped.:)

Why? Seriously......I appreciate the option and take advantage of the service frequently, but I don't respond positively to "have to"s, "must"s, and not having the option without a sensible reason.

OK.

It's not up to me to provide you with an option. I was just telling OP what to expect when s/he goes to the POM.

Well, in Tampa the Porter flat out told me he accepts tips:rolleyes: DH normally tips, he left to park the car, and I was with the luggage. Yea, I tipped.:)

We do tip but at SFO the porter left before DH could hand him the money

In Miami they have their hand out ready & do not move until you hand them cash

We do tip but it is a personal decision

Why? Seriously......I appreciate the option and take advantage of the service frequently, but I don't respond positively to "have to"s, "must"s, and not having the option without a sensible reason.

I'm sure there are several reasons, but the one that jumps out to me is someone has to make sure the luggage is loaded in the big bins to be moved through security and onto the ship. If it was just a free for all at curbside, the luggage would be every which way, and be a total unorganized mess. Plus, those guys also tell people with guaranteed cabins what cabin they have, and they also help direct newbies (either to that port or to cruising in general) which way to go next. And I've never had one fail to wish me a great cruise.

I do understand tipping fatigue though. I could practically just buy new clothes for the amount of tips I pay to get my luggage from my car to the shuttle, to the airport, to the shuttle again, to the port and onto the ship, and then reverse again after the cruise.

And someone mentioned the luggage porters with the carts. You don't have to use them, but a little known fact is that after your cruise, as you are leaving the ship and before immigration, these guys usually get you through the line quicker.

OK.

It's not up to me to provide you with an option. I was just telling OP what to expect when s/he goes to the POM.

I didn't ask you to provide me with an option, I asked a question about what you said. You haven't answered my question -- why can't the OP or anyone handle their own bags?

-- why can't the OP or anyone handle their own bags?

Because it doesn't work that way. You give your bag to a porter who takes it to the designated area on your behalf. Dan already replied and his answer is a good one. There are probably many reasons - security, safety, liability, and on and on. Do you put your computer-generated luggage tags on your bags and the put your own bags on the conveyor belt at the airport? No - because someone is paid to do their job and do it correctly and efficiently.

Sorry there is no other option for you. Seems like you and OP are a bit choked about it. :confused:

I am not sure why these threads have to be contentious.

The question was can you turn in the bags to the ship without the porter handling them. The answer is no. Crew from the ship are prohibited from taking any of the luggage directly from the passengers.

So, if you do not want to hand the luggage over to the porter you must deal with it yourself. Certain size bags will not fit through security so you will have to take smaller bags if you go this route and take them all on the ship yourself.

Again, crew from the ships are prohibited from assisting the guests outside the terminal with luggage and for that matter with a wheelchair.

So bottom line the only ways I can think of avoiding tipping would be to hand your luggage over to the porter and not tip or to take the luggage yourself onto the ship.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Do you put your computer-generated luggage tags on your bags and the put your own bags on the conveyor belt at the airport? No - because someone is paid to do their job and do it correctly and efficiently.

Yes, actually.......when I fly to the US, I do put my bags on the conveyer belt myself. All passengers do, unless they specifically ask someone for help.