Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Trinidad & Tobago

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Birding in Tobago

Anyone know of a tour operator in Tobago that specializes in birding tours that cater towards the cruiselines (in terms of time)? Alternatively-anyone know if there are good DYI birding spots for a day trip? Thanks!

Carnival Valor,
2006 W. Caribbean

Norwegian Pearl, 2008 Bahamas
Celebrity Millenium, 2010 S. Caribbean
Carnival Spirit, 2011 Mexican Riviera
RCCL Radiance, 2012 South Pacific

Old November 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
20,000+ Club

Arrow Chickens everywhere, but they don't count!

The Northern two-thirds of the island is rain forest
so it can't be too difficult.

A trip along their North Coast road going to Charlotteville at the far end of the island
will reveal many sweeping views from 200-300 ft. up
and I should think several birding opportunities.

There are also one or two roads that cross the high spine of the island
-through the real rain forest-
I'd suggest you get your island tour taxi driver to take you there.
Tell the guy what you're looking to see.

I saw Mot-mots just behind the golf course somewhere..

Old November 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Found this- don't know if will help

Don't know anything about it, but I found a website offering birding tours called Wayne Gray tours: www.waynesworld-tours.com

Thinking of booking it, but still trying to explore Tobago options.

Old March 14th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up BIRDING tour in Tobago

We hired GEORGE NEWTON for the entire day we were in port in TOBAGO- he drove us to the wonderful rainforest and called the birds to us- we saw at least 25 birds including the blue backed manakin & Jakana! We took about a 2 hour walk with him into the forest where we saw a few other "quiet" birders also spotting wonderful birds. It was the highlight of our entire week. Look him up on the web- he took us to the hummingbird farm at the end so we could just sit and watch the 6 hummingbirds on the island come to the feeders- and a few other wonderful birds as well. Really, if you love birds- don't miss this tour! Tell him Pam & Kevin sent you. The ships don't take people to this place- it really is wonderful to see so many birds in such a short period of time! By the way he was 1/2 as much as soem fo the other quotes I had and they were not private tours.

Old October 19th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Help with George Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive4pam View Post
We hired GEORGE NEWTON for the entire day we were in port in TOBAGO- he drove us to the wonderful rainforest and called the birds to us- we saw at least 25 birds including the blue backed manakin & Jakana! We took about a 2 hour walk with him into the forest where we saw a few other "quiet" birders also spotting wonderful birds. It was the highlight of our entire week. Look him up on the web- he took us to the hummingbird farm at the end so we could just sit and watch the 6 hummingbirds on the island come to the feeders- and a few other wonderful birds as well. Really, if you love birds- don't miss this tour! Tell him Pam & Kevin sent you. The ships don't take people to this place- it really is wonderful to see so many birds in such a short period of time! By the way he was 1/2 as much as soem fo the other quotes I had and they were not private tours.
Can you tell me what tour you took with him; how long and about how much
Is it safe for two ladies
Thanks

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default George Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by servalgirl View Post
Anyone know of a tour operator in Tobago that specializes in birding tours that cater towards the cruiselines (in terms of time)? Alternatively-anyone know if there are good DYI birding spots for a day trip? Thanks!
Would love to hear from people who have used him. Cost and tour you booked.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old October 25th, 2010, 12:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrma View Post
Would love to hear from people who have used him. Cost and tour you booked.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Did you see this thread?
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1072769

Old January 8th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

When we were in Tobago Easter 2009 on a Princess cruise we went to Cuffie River. Contact the owner Regina and she will organise the day for you including transport, a walk in the rain forest with Desmon looking a local birds and lunch. We had a fabulous time and my husband who is a keen birder was very impressed. www.cuffie-river.com

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Peter Cox

We had a great tour with Peter Cox Jan. 13. We had booked a bird-watching tour to Little Tobago for $80 each. The boat was rocking all the previous night, and we saw high surf when docking in Tobago, so we were not surprised when Peter recommended that we not take the glass-bottom boat to Little Tobago. Instead, he took us around the island in his air-conditioned car to various birding spots, including a hike at the Main Ridge Reserve. This is one of the oldest nature preserves in the world, dating to 1776! The trails were very muddy, so Peter rented plastic boots for us. Peter is a general naturalist as well as an avid birder, and he showed us much of island’s ecology. We were especially interested in the fascinating tale of how the leaf-cutter ants cultivate their fungus gardens, and we followed some of their trails to see how they organize their labor. Peter also told us stories about his work protecting turtles, rehabilitating birds, and studying the false coral snake.

The birding was not outstanding because of the wind, but among others, we saw: rufous-tailed jacamar, blue-backed manakin, blue-crowned motmot (both male and female), tropical kingbird, chachalaca, crested oropendola, anhinga, bananquit, cattle egret, magnificent frigatebird, smooth-billed ani, white-tailed sabre-winged hummingbird, yellow-crowned night heron, orange-winged parrot, and “johnny-jump-up” (blue-black grassquit). Peter knew all their calls and was often able to lure them out of hiding so we could see them up close. We spent considerable time at the Main Ridge Forest Reserve and Argyle Falls, then drove around the lush, beautiful island, stopping at various bays and beaches to admire the scenery. We visited a couple of brackish swamp areas looking for caimans, but only spotted one head. Peter kept us supplied with water and bananas, and stopped at tiny Gee Bee bakery to buy us delicious fresh coconut tarts and current buns. He was completely flexible about doing whatever we wanted for however long we wanted. We had a great day with him and learned a lot.

"Whenever I have to choose between two evils, I always like to pick the one I haven't tried before." --Mae West
"Baby, I've been to Paris, I've been to Dallas too." --Mary-Chapin Carpenter

Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 3/14
Celebrity Constellation Scandinavia & Russia, 7/13
HAL Ryndam Western Caribbean, 3/13
Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 1/11
HAL Noordam Western Mediterranean, 5/09
Celebrity Galaxy Eastern Mediterranean, 5/08
Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean, 1/08
Holland America Caribbean, 3/00 & 3/01 & 5/02

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your tour with Peter Cox sounds great! How did you get in touch with him? Any idea if he does a shorter (part day) tour?

Old January 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
Your tour with Peter Cox sounds great! How did you get in touch with him? Any idea if he does a shorter (part day) tour?
His website is:
http://www.tobagonaturetours.com/

As you can see there, he has quite a few tour suggestions listed, but we also found him totally flexible about customizing the tour.

I don't think he has daily access to e-mail, so don't worry if you don't get an immediate answer. He did get back to us reliably each time we wrote, it just took a couple of days.

Hope this helps!

"Whenever I have to choose between two evils, I always like to pick the one I haven't tried before." --Mae West
"Baby, I've been to Paris, I've been to Dallas too." --Mary-Chapin Carpenter

Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 3/14
Celebrity Constellation Scandinavia & Russia, 7/13
HAL Ryndam Western Caribbean, 3/13
Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 1/11
HAL Noordam Western Mediterranean, 5/09
Celebrity Galaxy Eastern Mediterranean, 5/08
Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean, 1/08
Holland America Caribbean, 3/00 & 3/01 & 5/02

Old February 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
His website is:
http://www.tobagonaturetours.com/

As you can see there, he has quite a few tour suggestions listed, but we also found him totally flexible about customizing the tour.

I don't think he has daily access to e-mail, so don't worry if you don't get an immediate answer. He did get back to us reliably each time we wrote, it just took a couple of days.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much!
His website looks great. We are already snorkeling in the morning so hopefully we can work out the afternoon tour to fit the schedule. The one he has listed is 3:30 - 5:00 and the Summit is scheduled to depart at 5:00. Too close for comfort for me! We leave in 2 1/2 weeks so hopefully we will hear from him soon!

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
Thanks so much!
His website looks great. We are already snorkeling in the morning so hopefully we can work out the afternoon tour to fit the schedule. The one he has listed is 3:30 - 5:00 and the Summit is scheduled to depart at 5:00. Too close for comfort for me! We leave in 2 1/2 weeks so hopefully we will hear from him soon!
When you hear from him, would you post info here or on the roll call? Sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon!
See you on the roll call...

Liz
4/14 Freedom of the Seas, Sisters Cruise v2.0, quilting through the Caribbean
9/13 Norwegian Star, the Baltics are amazing, too bad NCL wasn't...
3/13 Celebrity Summit, Sisters Cruise in the Caribbean, what a blast
5/12 Brilliance of the Seas, my first B2B: a terrific repo cruise and an amazing week in Norway
1/12 Jewel of the Seas, a long weekend break to Cozumel and back
9/11 Voyager of the Seas, an awesome week cruising the Adriatic Sea on one of my favorite ships
2/11 Celebrity Summit, Southern Caribbean for a wonderful week
12/10 Radiance of the Seas, a relaxing weekend with new friends to Cozumel
9/10 Caribbean Princess, Canada/New England, beautiful scenery but not completely sold on Princess...yet...
4/10 Celebrity Solstice, time to try something new
10/09 Mariner of the Seas, checked out the Mexican Riviera, since I'd never been there
5/09 Radiance of the Seas, back to Alaska, what a way to go!
11/08 Grandeur of the Seas, Western Caribbean, because I really needed to get away
5/08 Voyager of the Seas, the ONLY way to cruise the Western Med!
12/07 Navigator of the Seas, Western Caribbean, happy birthday to me
7/07 Norwegian Jewel, Western Med, loved the itinerary, but NCL... not so much...
1/07 Inspiration, Western Caribbean
10/06 Adventure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean
9/05 Inspiration, Western Caribbean
11/03 Sensation, Western Caribbean
10/00 Royal Olympic Voyager, Greece and the Eastern Med, best cruise ever!!
5/98 Norwegian Wind, Alaska with the family
6/97 Nordic Empress, Bahamas with the family
9/74-8/75 Bon Vivant, multiple trips, Mom was the ship's nurse!
... and about 20 more that I can't remember, back in the days of last-minute deals from Miami

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Another recommendation for George Newton. He was affordable and did a great job.

Old December 31st, 2011, 02:33 AM
5,000+ Club

If you can get to Little Tobago, go there. Wonderful spot.