Notes from QM2 at sea

Keuka Lake Sailor

This is still the smoothest crossing I have ever experienced. Hope it holds. Such long days also, sun is up around 5AM - although we don't see too much of it.....lst Cunard wedding at sea held in Chart Room at llam. Happy couple blew the noon whistle and had their first dance in the ballroom with the combined orchestras last night while the singer sang "Tenderly" ... band really rocked the ship last night-(big band night)..........By chance I was near former President George Bush and Barbara at the church service...In the Kings Court the Chef's gallery now does healthful foods for breakfast- freshly made juices and smoothies. At lunch, they now serve pizza and pasta........I don't come on the QM2 to have pizza, but from what I can see, it seems to be pretty popular.........At lunch, La Piazza and Carvery now serve basically the same lunch menu( like breakfast) with some slight variations.... this change seems like a cutback but it does seem to be working out fine and there is still an excellent selection of food.... I can see no decline in food quality in the Kings Court or the Britannia Restaurant.......I happened to look in on the late night snack around lam to find the best presentation and variety of food that I have ever seen since I have been sailing with the QM2......was a pleasant surprise.................Although I had seen if before, went to see "Warhorse" in Illuminations.......lovely setting to watch a film....Still meeting the most wonderful and interesting people onboard...took a dinner tablemate on a tour of the ship yesterday -he had saved a long time to do the round trip crossing and was not getting the whole experience..... so much fun playing tour guide....on the whole, the guest speakers are very good.....so far, still just having a grand time.

This is still the smoothest crossing I have ever experienced. Hope it holds. Such long days also, sun is up around 5AM - although we don't see too much of it.....lst Cunard wedding at sea held in Chart Room at llam. Happy couple blew the noon whistle and had their first dance in the ballroom with the combined orchestras last night while the singer sang "Tenderly" ... band really rocked the ship last night-(big band night)..........By chance I was near former President George Bush and Barbara at the church service...In the Kings Court the Chef's gallery now does healthful foods for breakfast- freshly made juices and smoothies. At lunch, they now serve pizza and pasta........I don't come on the QM2 to have pizza, but from what I can see, it seems to be pretty popular.........At lunch, La Piazza and Carvery now serve basically the same lunch menu( like breakfast) with some slight variations.... this change seems like a cutback but it does seem to be working out fine and there is still an excellent selection of food.... I can see no decline in food quality in the Kings Court or the Britannia Restaurant.......I happened to look in on the late night snack around lam to find the best presentation and variety of food that I have ever seen since I have been sailing with the QM2......was a pleasant surprise.................Although I had seen if before, went to see "Warhorse" in Illuminations.......lovely setting to watch a film....Still meeting the most wonderful and interesting people onboard...took a dinner tablemate on a tour of the ship yesterday -he had saved a long time to do the round trip crossing and was not getting the whole experience..... so much fun playing tour guide....on the whole, the guest speakers are very good.....so far, still just having a grand time.

I didn't notice any decline in food quality when I was on board either. Good on you for taking that guy on a tour. There is so much to see, that you do tend to miss things on your first voyage.

QM2 - it's so addictive. :)

I´m surprised the TA is so smooth. Everyone on board last week experiencing the rocky Biscay thought the next TA might be stormy. On the last day of the world cruise word spread that ex-Pres. Bush would board at Southampton and that he might be so afraid of the thousands of knifes on the ship he might rarely leave his suite;-)

War Horse, gosh, what a cheesy end that movie has.

I wish you a pleasant onward journey!

Mr Bush Is in a suite as expected, he is in a wheel chair sadly , but is making use of the ship and went to church on Sunday and cpoke to several people

I sure hope I am still cruising when I am 88!

..I happened to look in on the late night snack around lam to find the best presentation and variety of food that I have ever seen since I have been sailing with the QM2......was a pleasant surprise....

That sounds really nice. The only time we've looked in on KC late at night...it was teens only hanging out.

The wind picked up overnight and it was raining quite hard this morning so some ship movement but no big deal. We are now in moderate seas..... RADA is back on board (missing on December T/A) and I heard only good things about their Canterbury Tales presentation yesterday...........Golden Lion Pub lunch has changed...at entrance is a menu that changes daily........yesterday it was Southern Fried Chicken, Thai Beef Curry, and a dessert special..........No computers in the library although the desks are still there.............there is a Liquor event today...between 9 and 1 any liquor you buy may be taken with you and consumed in the cabin.....we are well past the half way point now......soon it will be Friday morning..UGH.......

New York has heavy rain this morning so you are sailing into the same storm system.

Interesting that there are no computers in the library. Nobody mentioned this post refit so perhaps almost everyone now uses their own laptop. I hope Connexions still has desktops or that would be a problem for those who need to print boarding passes before disembarking.

...........Golden Lion Pub lunch has changed...at entrance is a menu that changes daily........yesterday it was Southern Fried Chicken, Thai Beef Curry, and a dessert special.......

Does that mean that they have daily specials and still have the same regular menu (Ploughman's, fish and chips, chicken Korma etc?:)), or that all you can get are the daily specials:(?

The traditional pub lunch so heavily promoted in recent years is now history. You can only get the daily lunch specials posted at the entrance. I looked again yesterday but cannot remember what they were offering off hand but plenty of passengers were eating there. I am going to try to check out the chefs gallery today where the daily lunch menu consists of freshly made pizza and a freshly made pasta dish. Smells pretty good around there but service seems slow but at looks like it might be popular with passengers.

I wonder if the midships portside tender/lifeboat that was missing on the world cruise has been brought back on board.

New York has heavy rain this morning so you are sailing into the same storm system.

Interesting that there are no computers in the library. Nobody mentioned this post refit so perhaps almost everyone now uses their own laptop. I hope Connexions still has desktops or that would be a problem for those who need to print boarding passes before disembarking.

There are plenty of desktops in Connexions, I used them regularly in the past weeks.

The traditional pub lunch so heavily promoted in recent years is now history. You can only get the daily lunch specials posted at the entrance. I looked again yesterday but cannot remember what they were offering off hand but plenty of passengers were eating there. I am going to try to check out the chefs gallery today where the daily lunch menu consists of freshly made pizza and a freshly made pasta dish. Smells pretty good around there but service seems slow but at looks like it might be popular with passengers.

Thanks for the information. I suppose serving the same lunch for several years now has been boring for some, and they will enjoy the change. I will miss the traditional fare tho'!

Have you been told how near the final resting place of the Titanic you are?

We sailed right over it in April 2005. The Captain told us when we were over the site.

Funny enough....people were taking pictures of the water where the Titanic sank. LOL! I bet they were scratching their heads when they got home and looked at those photos! LOL:D

N I hope Connexions still has desktops or that would be a problem for those who need to print boarding passes before disembarking.

Yes the desktops are still there and whenever I was in Connexions there was always a few available. Saw many around the ship using laptops.

David.

The traditional pub lunch so heavily promoted in recent years is now history. You can only get the daily lunch specials posted at the entrance.

Unless this has been changed since last week this is not the case, the specials were in addition to the old favourites like fish and chips and bangers and mash.

David.

The pub lunches are unchanged, there are specials offered in addition. This is current as of today.

Thank you cap'n. Good to know. I don't mind them increasing the choice of food :D .

Doesn't seem a year ago that I crossed on QM2 when you were on board, very best wishes :) , enjoyed your blog of your current crossing greatly :):).

Archived