Are ships all inclusive for drinks? What about currency?

susiesan

Are these ships all inclusive including alcohol? What is the currency used on board? Are charges for the cruises in Thailand in baht? Do the small islands take dollars or do I have to exchange for baht? We are sailing Star Clipper RT Phuket on Nov. 22.

Susie

Hi

I can answer some of your questions as we did that trip a couple of years ago. (It was FANTASTIC.)

The all inclusive does not include any alcohol (or even soft drinks), but does include all the food.

The currency used on board is the Euro, though you are only charged at the end of your stay.

Not sure about the small islands question - we never bought anything, too busy snorkelling or diving! (and the ship provides more than enough food to keep you going)

As an American, onboard charges in Euro is bad for me. Does anyone know what the charge for a glass of house wine or simple cocktail is? I may have to do my drinking in local bars while on land in Thailand due to the lousy exchange rate. Are tips added to the shipboard account or do you give cash? Would it be euros, dollars, or baht?

Hi Susiesan:

From just down the road in Lawrence, KS!

We just got back from the Star Flyer and the house wine or beer on draft was around 3.80 Euro glass. (Decent pour also, not prissy pour!) That price includes the gratuity for the bar staff. Maybe it was a perspective thing, but after paying about $8 US for a beer and $12 US/glass of wine on Tahiti, the ship prices didn't seem too unreasonable!

Bottles of wine for dinner were reasonably priced also and if you don't drink it all, they'll save it for you.

For the wait staff/room steward gratuity they give you a chance to include it on your shipboard charge account or pay by cash. Many people went ahead and paid the tips in local currency, they figured the staff would appreciate it better.

The cruise director usually will give you advice on what the best option is.

Understand your concerns, Tahiti was a bit brutal on the pocketbook!

HemiD:

3.80 euros works out to $5.50 a glass which is about what restaurants here in KC charge. We did Tahiti a few years back on Renaissnce-that's a great trip.

I'd like to pick your brain about your cruise. Please give me your e mail and maybe we can get together and talk by phone. My e mail is:

susiesan at kc.rr.com

Hope to hear from you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived