Boston Hotel Advice

Saps at Sea

We are spending two days, pre cruise in Boston next September. It's our first time in Boston and are looking to do the standard sight-seeing venues, mostly walking or hop on off bus tour. The Langham Hotel and the Millennium Bostonian Hotel are similarly priced and seem to be in a good location for dining and walking. Any thoughts which might be a best fit for a quiet refuge after touring? We're also interested in seafood or Italian restaurant recommendations in the general area. Thanks for the help.

September is high season. What is your hotel budget?

The Langham and Millenium are convenient to Faneuil Hall, but it's not an area that has a whole lot going on at night other than Faneuil Hall. Typically we recommend that folks spending more than one night in Boston consider a Back Bay hotel because of the restaurant and shopping activities at night as well as the indoor options in Copley Place and the Prudential Center in case of bad weather. There is also a major hoho stop at the Pru.

One strategy would be to book a cancellable reservation you can live with and then watch Hotwire closer to your sail to see what comes up.

Right now I'm seeing the Taj on on as.com for $333.33 plus tax cancellable. This is a highly rated hotel by Boston Common near the Arlington T stop between the downtown financial area and Back Bay - a good centrally located area.

Downtown Boston is very small and easy to get around. Wherever you stay you are going to want to go someplace else at some point, so IMO it doesn't really matter so much where you stay in the overall downtown area.

You should post your questions on the East Coast board to get a wider audience.

Looks like you got a great rate thru Hotwire! I took Carol's advice and booked a cancellable room at the TAJ Boston, overlooking the Public Gardens for mid-week in September. Their current promotion has 50% off the second night and complimentary daily continental breakfast. This brings the cost to around $320 before tax per night, which I can live with. I will keep an eye on Hotwire as the date get's closer. Thanks for the heads-up.

We are on the Maasdam sailing out of Boston on June 20, 2015. Been to Boston many times but never taken a cruise from there. Need a room on June 19 that is easy to get to from Logan and the cruise port wherever that is. Don't want to contend with the congestion of commute traffic on the T. Any suggestions?

Edited by vk8cruiser

The MBTA's Silver Line is the best way to get from Logan to Boston (and it's free!). There are multiple hotels in the South Boston Waterfront area that are all a short walk or taxi ride to the port. But since your cruise leaves on a Saturday, you might be better off staying in the city, so you can explore the shopping, dining, and historical options Boston has to offer.

There is a fantastic holiday sale on Hotwire RIGHT NOW for your June 19 date - 4* Waterfront hotel for $110 plus $26 in fees and taxes. I haven't seen a rate this low in a long long time. It is highly likely to be the Westin, but could possibly be the Seaport, the Renaissance, or Residence Inn.

Don't hesitate - book this now and prepay - buy the insurance offered if you don't like the risk of prepaying.

This hotel will be one of the closest hotels to both Logan Airport and the Cruiseport. As Nitemare said you can take the Silver Line for free (in this case to World Trade Center if it is the Westin, which is one block from the T) or a cab for $20-25. Cab to the port should be under $10.

With the money you will save you can afford to take a cab anywhere in downtown Boston. However there are now a bunch of nice restaurants in this area - google Boston Waterfront Seaport restaurants.

There is a fantastic holiday sale on Hotwire RIGHT NOW for your June 19 date - 4* Waterfront hotel for $110 plus $26 in fees and taxes. I haven't seen a rate this low in a long long time. It is highly likely to be the Westin, but could possibly be the Seaport, the Renaissance, or Residence Inn.

Don't hesitate - book this now and prepay - buy the insurance offered if you don't like the risk of prepaying.

This hotel will be one of the closest hotels to both Logan Airport and the Cruiseport. As Nitemare said you can take the Silver Line for free (in this case to World Trade Center if it is the Westin, which is one block from the T) or a cab for $20-25. Cab to the port should be under $10.

With the money you will save you can afford to take a cab anywhere in downtown Boston. However there are now a bunch of nice restaurants in this area - google Boston Waterfront Seaport restaurants.

Thanks! Got it! It was the Westin for $110. Woo hoo!!

Congratulations! That is the best deal I've seen in a long time. Here's a good site for restaurants. Many of them are within close walking distance to the Westin. http://www.zagat.com/c/boston-ma/seaport-district-restaurants.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks. This is the first time I have used Hotwire. How does it work? Do we get any choices of types of room? It was such a good deal I just booked it.

They will give you a room for two people if you specified two people. Not much choice beyond that. You can call the hotel close to the date to ask how it works.

If you've looked at Boston hotel prices you will see what a great deal this is. The Westin Convention Center often has good deals on Hotwire when there are no convention events, but this price is extraordinary.

• 3 months later...
We got a wonderful price at the best western round house. They even picked us up to/from airport and had a free shuttle around town! Also included a free breakfast.

They would have to have, it's in such an inconvnient location vis-a-vis public transportation and sights, very industrial, much traffic, and empty at many times (night).

Used to be walking distance to M&M Ribs/Barbecue, and to the SuperDog/Speeds trailer which used to park in Northampton Sq.true Boston culinary gems) , but the former has moved to Southampton St, and the latter has closed, iirc.

I looked up the hotel location on a map and immediately realized there was a good reason I'd never heard of it. I can't in good conscience suggest that out of town cruisers stay on the edge of Roxbury no matter what the price.

• 3 weeks later...

Kia ora,

We are coming off a TA cruise in September & are looking at the Comfort Inn which offers a good rate & has free shuttle from port & to airport. We are staying four nights before taking a pm flight to San Francisco. As we have never been to Boston we would appreciate any comment on the location, must do places to see (especially scenery & people) & access.

Aquarians

Which Comfort Inn? The Airport one? Or the Morrissey Boulevard one?

Frankly, I wouldn't let my friends visiting Boston stay in either one, as they are not well located for touring -- I'd want them some place where they can walk out there front door and be at an attraction or a restaurant or shopping in 3-5 minutes, but everyone's needs are different.

Kia ora,

We are coming off a TA cruise in September & are looking at the Comfort Inn which offers a good rate & has free shuttle from port & to airport. We are staying four nights before taking a pm flight to San Francisco. As we have never been to Boston we would appreciate any comment on the location, must do places to see (especially scenery & people) & access.

Aquarians

Kia ora,

Aquarians

What is your hotel budget? How many people?

I agree that you do not want to stay at the Comfort Inn in Dorchester unless you exhaust all other options. Please don't get hung up on hotels offering any kind of shuttle. These hotels tend to be in fringe areas and offer shuttles to attract customers.

There is currently a 4.5* hotel in the BackBay/ Copley area for $214 plus tax and fees for abot $250/night total. This will be a terrific hotel in a terrific area for an excellent reduced price.

In order to be in town consider the John Jeffries House which is a B&B hotel near the Charles MGH Red Line Station in Beacon Hill.

Will you be able to manage your luggage to take advantage of public transit?

If you are located in town it will be easier to take public transit to go to Salem for the day if that is of interest. Harvard Square will also be much easier to access and you will be able to walk to many locations as well.

• 2 weeks later...
138east,

I see you are in the Boston area. Do you know anything about hotels in the Cambridge area? We are visiting our son in October and would like to stay not too far from him.

I am also wondering if the Hotwire deals are available for us if we book from the UK. Any idea?

What dates in Oct? Budget/night? Cambridge is big. What area is he in or what street? Don't delay in deciding. Oct is high season and certain dates are awful. I have booked Hotwire twice in the UK, so I imagine you can book the U.S. From the UK.